Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Terrorism put you off travelling?

Options
  • 23-07-2016 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry if the subject has been discussed before on here - but has the increasing Terrorism in the world put you off going on holiday to places, has it made you think twice or are you the type of person that believes if it puts you off you are playing into their hands and you will be giving in because thats exactly what they want to do , install fear into the general public and all that .

Our family is divided, I believe that even with foiled attempts and extra security I still wonder is it really worth it putting your life in danger if its something that you dont have to do - my family say, if you think like that you wouldnt go anywhere - but I am more like cautious and until I start seeing real hard evidence that ISIS is being wiped out and eradicated (sometimes it seems like they are more intelligent than the security services and are getting more and more ruthless) then we should all be more afraid and careful of where we go - its no good being involved in an incident and saying afterwards that on hindsight I would have been better off staying at home.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,849 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

No, I booked and went to Brussels after the attacks there, and I'm going to book Nice during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

Nope, considering the odds of being in a terrorist attack I would never leave the house if it bothered me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

No. Airport security does put me off though

Air travel was better in the 90's

No

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Nope, going to London and Berlin later this year (not by choice) but not concerned about it. Bad things happen everywhere and you can not stay hidden at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭mosstin

Andy, there's a greater chance of being attacked in, say, Sligo than there is being caught up in a terrorist attack. Worry not.
    Where are you from?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No, I booked and went to Brussels after the attacks there, and I'm going to book Nice during the week.

Their influencing your flight destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

No way. Honestly mean that. To hell with all those fundamentalist pr!cks. By ignoring their fear & hate-filled ideology you are p!ssing down their throats

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

No. You're more likely to get the head boxed off ya walking around Sligo than being killed by a jihadi.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

tbh It would put me off travelling to turkey, Tunisia, Morocco etc but I know that's silly.

Especially as France, Germany etc seems to be the same. I grew up in NI during the IRA bombing campaign and tourists were afraid to come here (and still are sometimes)

Bombs and terrorism aren't romantic. Europe will have to get used to it for a while. In NI we had it for 30 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭54and56

No way. Currently in France and going to Madrid in Octobe with the family. To stop traveling is to give in to these mutua fcukers.

NEVER NEVER NEVER

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

No. Heading off on holiday soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

No no no. I'm not changing anything about my life for those p***ks. I was in Amsterdam when Bataclan happened, And visited Brussels, Nice and Munich this year. It won't stop me visiting a few more cities before the year is out. Oh wait, I've made it seem like I should be on some watch list now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

becoming a daily event now. soon be a twice daily event way its going

Hope many people brush up on their Koran before they jet off and can recite it word for word, just in case like - it may just save your life!

I remember last year I was in London with someone for a few days who refused to use the underground. And we had to travel about a lot. I chose to leave them and use the underground.
    They spent the whole time using buses.
    Its just sad when people refuse or cancel plans just because of attacks. It is what most terrorist groups do - in the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

We are off to turkey in September. I doesnt bother me as there was a war in ireland at the time when i was growing up BUT the wife is putting her heels in and doesnt want to.
    Looks like a happy holiday for me on my own

becoming a daily event now. soon be a twice daily event way its going

These events are not happening daily

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

No but I've never gone to sh1t-hole Countries anyway. No offence to Africa/Asia etc but I'd never go there. Too much shyte

to all who are not fazed by it (or are being defiant) and not changing any plans will you be more jittery when your over in these places if you hear some un-ordinary noises or start to see increase in army or something not 'feeling right' ? - or seeing foreigners with rucksack on looking suspicious? or just suspicios looking people acting weirdly? - would recent events make you feel like this?

Andy, you are a right one for theses threads sometimes.

to all who are not fazed by it (or are being defiant) and not changing any plans will you be more jittery when your over in these places if you hear some un-ordinary noises or start to see increase in army or something not 'feeling right' ? - or seeing foreigners with rucksack on looking suspicious? or just suspicios looking people acting weirdly? - would recent events make you feel like this?

That's the problem with other countries, they're full of bloody foreigners!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I've canceled my week in Syria.

That's the problem with other countries, they're full of bloody foreigners!

yeah - but are they suspicious looking foreigners? :D

yeah - but are they suspicious looking foreigners? :D

I think anyone not from my parish looks suspicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

All week in work (healthcare in Ireland) I heard "un-ordinary noises", things "not feeling right", "foreigners with rucksacks", and generally people "looking suspicious".
    Did it make me quit my job and fcuk off home to hide in a wardrobe? No. No it didn't. There are any amount of lunatics within a couple of miles of any of us right now.
    I'm going to Berlin on holidays in September to get away from the madness of daily life :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Never really been put off travelling but I was in a place in Italy there seemed to be a large coach tour of Isreali tourists beside us which got me a little anxious fearing that I could be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

Sorry if the subject has been discussed before on here - but has the increasing Terrorism in the world put you off going on holiday to places, has it made you think twice or are you the type of person that believes if it puts you off you are playing into their hands and you will be giving in because thats exactly what they want to do , install fear into the general public and all that .

Have being to North Africa and middle East on many occasions in the past but since Isis I wouldn't even consider in going.

Advertisement