Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bans on handclapping and hugs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

High fives instead of hugs has pretty much always been the case for irish lads anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

getting closer and closer to this

• Registered Users Posts: 22,272 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

20Cent wrote: »
    If you could make someone's life a little more comfortable by modifying your behaviour when they are around why not do it?
    Guy I know can't stand fluorescent lighting. We turn it off if he's around no big deal. No need to be a dick.

You stand around in the dark?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Patrick_Swayze

I remember when I was in my final year of school (2/3 years ago) and I was with a good girl friend and I was telling a story about how I put my arm around someone, so I showed her by putting my arm over her shoulder. I had hardly put a finger on her before a nearby principal shouts at us to come to him. I was puzzled as to what I had done wrong but she knew straight away as she had been reprimanded in the past when hugging boyfriends etc.
    The principal said no public displays of affection or invading of someone personal space is allowed. I started to laugh as I thought it was a joke, like seriously, all i had done was put my arm on her shoulder for gods sake I was hardly feeling her up and it was 'consensual' as she asked me to show her what I did in the story I was explaining to her. She wasn't cringing or showing any signs that this was wrong
    I still can't get over it tbh, worlds gone mad

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

While kids always had sensory issues and conditions like Autisum it is only recently we are getting to understand such conditions. When you meet a kid with such problems you can understand the hell unexpected noise and touching can be. School like home must be a safe environment to all kids and while some of these ideas may seem weird they may just mike a few kids lives a little easier without harming others.

Kids have to be kids though and part of that is noise and activity and horseplay. If a child has a special need so severe it would involve completely altering the school environment then maybe that child's needs would be best met elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea of the 'joy' of clapping, but applause does generate its own enthusiasm. Imagine being at a Bruce Springsteen concert where the audience sit there, deadpan, for fear of triggering the anxiety of some Students Union delegate.

Applause is weird, I know. An alien from outer space would struggle to understand this seal-like behaviour. But it is a way of expressing a feeling of joy and togetherness.

Togetherness is a concept that appears to be consistently diminished by the rise of individualism in society, I think some of the examples in the OP are small illustrations of that.

It's one instance in one school designed to accommodate a member of staff. Doubt the principle of this school has the power to ban clapping worldwide. I'm sure the kids won't be permanently affected by it.

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The silent disco is upon us, the silent busker has joined it, soon we will be able to have noise cancelling headphones to get through life: activate anti SJW mode, activate anti Islamophobic mode, activate anti Mexican mode and on and on. Oh the ignore button solves all life's ills. La La La La LA la...I can't hear you.

This is becoming a problem with personally curated media sources like twitter or facebook, or newsfeeds that remember what stories you liked before, and only delivers stories to you that it knows you will agree with

If I get my news from twitter, but I only subscribe to racist fringe news sources, then I am going to get more and more entrenched into my racist world view.

Similarly with 'social justice warriors', they block people who they label as racist or misogynistic or homophobic or intolerant or whatever thought crimes they're accused of.

They then get trapped in a bubble where their own view is echoed back towards them and amplified. Now that they've graduated from college and are getting jobs in the media and universities and political parties, they're taking these bubble crafted views and using them to draft policies that force others into their echo chamber by silencing the voices of those they disagree with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Akrasia wrote: »
    Where is the line though?

If a kid or teacher is sensitive to bright lights, should the assemblies be held in a dimly lit room?

If there are children in wheelchairs, should all excursions into the countryside or wheelchair inaccessible places be banned?

If someone is sensitive to loud noises, it is something he/she needs to figure out a way of dealing with it because loud noises are a part of life.

I have a cousin who is profoundly disabled and she gets really anxious in unfamiliar places and where there is commotion or even just a few people in a room talking a little bit too loud. It's awful for her and her family because these sensitivities limit her options for what she can do, and it limits her families options, but those are the cards they were dealt. It would be ridiculous to expect everyone else to accommodate her very specific and intensive needs all of the time.

If you're suffering from hypersensitivity then perhaps your best option is to avoid places that over stimulate you as much as you can while pursuing cognitive behavioural therapy to tackle the root cause of the anxiety or train coping mechanisms to reduce the consequences of the sensitivity to something that is more tolerable, or maybe lifestyle changes to reduce the exposure to triggers of anxiety.

I did say without harm to others. I see nothing wrong with a school being aware and have systems in place for kids with issues. I see noting wrong with trying to accommodate as much as can be problems other kids have in the school environment.

As you asked me a stupid question about kids with wheelchairs Ill ask you a equally stupid question why do you think its ok for school kids to actually inflict pain on a kid and do nothing to ease it. This is not about removing all issues wrap a child in a bubble, but where it can be done with no issue to other kids why not. It also makes kids aware of these issues that other kids may be having to deal with, while the primary responsibility lays with the parents to help the child cope whats the harm in other kids being aware and doing a little to make school that bit nicer, or is that being a bit to kind.

It's one instance in one school designed to accommodate a member of staff. .
    There are a number of instances of it happening. As I mentioned in the OP, it also arises at meetings of the National Union of Students in the UK.
    "Jazz hands are used throughout NUS in place of clapping as a way to show appreciation of someone's point without interrupting or causing disturbance, as it can create anxiety.

Perhaps boards should change its 'thanks' icon to a jazz hands. I find the erect thumb to be triggering & is a manifestation of patriarchal dominance.
    Doubt the principle of this school has the power to ban clapping worldwide. I'm sure the kids won't be permanently affected by it.
    Nobody suggested either of these things so I've no idea why you're countering an unmade claim.

There are a number of instances of it happening. As I mentioned in the OP, it also arises at meetings of the National Union of Students in the UK.

Perhaps boards should change its 'thanks' icon to a jazz hands. I find the erect thumb to be triggering & is a manifestation of patriarchal dominance.

Nobody suggested either of these things so I've no idea why you're countering an unmade claim.

http://oxfordstudent.com/2015/03/25/jazz-hands-clapping-twitter-trolls-the-unsuccessful-derailing-of-nus-womens-conference/

It was and is a request in some conferences where some attending may feel it helps. While its called jazz hands it is in fact the sign for applause in British Sign Language.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

This is becoming a problem with personally curated media sources like twitter or facebook, or newsfeeds that remember what stories you liked before, and only delivers stories to you that it knows you will agree with

If I get my news from twitter, but I only subscribe to racist fringe news sources, then I am going to get more and more entrenched into my racist world view.

Similarly with 'social justice warriors', they block people who they label as racist or misogynistic or homophobic or intolerant or whatever thought crimes they're accused of.

They then get trapped in a bubble where their own view is echoed back towards them and amplified. Now that they've graduated from college and are getting jobs in the media and universities and political parties, they're taking these bubble crafted views and using them to draft policies that force others into their echo chamber by silencing the voices of those they disagree with.

Similarly if your newsfeed is full of stories like the op's then the world is full of moaning snowflakes taking yer freedoms away.

Agree about the filter bubble. Think it's responsible for trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

My God I laughed unashamedly at "jazz hands", I was not expecting that.
    I'm at work too.

I'll never look at Chicago the same way again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

An Australian school banned hugging earlier this year, because it amounts to an invasion of personal space. They suggested that students high-five one another instead.

FFS. Don't they realise that's cultural appropriation?!? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,325 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What happens to the kids who can't cope with an assembly without clapping it's not fair on them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

'Wriggle about on the spot'
    Thats creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭RayCon

Well, I believe that the children are our future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way. We need to show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense of pride to make it easier. For goodness sake let the children's laughter remind us of how we used to be.

That's beautiful .... go up and run yourself a bath and I'll bring you up some crack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

All aboard the Dystopia Train!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Your Face wrote: »
    'Wriggle about on the spot'
    Thats creepy.
    Disturbing

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lfpt77F3Qh1qbj46wo1_r2_500.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Now its creepy and fun.
    Freepy.

High fives instead of hugs has pretty much always been the case for irish lads anyway
    I find it uncomfortable when someone high-fives me in a non-ironic way.

I remember once, in work, having an exchange of what is commonly referred to as 'banter' (taking the piss, in my day), when a 'right-on' milennial 'bro' leaned across the lunch table and high-fived me. We could only have looked more lame if we chestbumped each other.

Couldn't be having it. A pat on the back, a hug, or a vicious verbal put-down has always been the Irish way of saying 'well done'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

An example of regressive leftism. This is the kind of bull they would champion while conservatives and classical liberals would scratch their heads and think wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭Nermal

Maybe it causes this teacher headaches or other symptoms why not accommodate him/her for the assemblies?

Or why not tell the teacher to HTFU?

Similarly if your newsfeed is full of stories like the op's then the world is full of moaning snowflakes taking yer freedoms away.

Agree about the filter bubble. Think it's responsible for trump.

Yeah. It's really easy to get sucked in. I listen to podcasts a lot and there are a lot of polemicists out there. You have to make a conscious effort to subscribe to varied and neutral sources or else you can be listening to all kinds of nonsense masquerading as fact.

If you agree with everything that a particular news source says, that's a huge warning sign that you've become blinded to other points of view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭Ronald Wilson Reagan

The joy of clapping?
    Maybe it causes this teacher headaches or other symptoms why not accommodate him/her for the assemblies?

Bad move by that teacher as kids are evil little bastards, if you show any weakness they'll pounce on it.

If you agree with everything that a particular news source says, that's a huge warning sign that you've become blinded to other points of view.
    the insular character of media is one of the greatest paradoxes of the internet age.

When our parents were young, people tuned into a small number of news sources: BBC, RTE, the Independent, The Irish Times, or whatever. You had to be exposed to a fairly wide range of opinion, if you wanted to get any sort of news. In that sense, they were better-connected to the world around them than we often are.

Not only is the 'filter bubble' impeding our understanding of one another's viewpoints, it's also acting as a vector for hysteria, on all sides of the multipolar divide.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

It's ot just the kiddies who are sensitive to clapping. In the UK, National Union of Students has demanded that clapping be replaced by 'jazz hands', as clapping can 'trigger anxiety'.

The current generation of special little snowflakes trying to ensure that there'll be another, even more irritating generation of them following on. Jazz hands, ffs. They're feckin' ludicrous and irritating when used in context on stage, and now we could have a whole audience looking like a pack of prize idiots while "showing their appreciation"? How the hell did we all manage before people discovered "triggers"?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,576 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Calm down all there has been an addition to the article.

Correction: This story was amended on 22 July to clarify that the policy was brought in because of a teacher's condition and applied to assemblies only.

And in the second case, it was a request (not a demand) at a student conference, as applause during presentations was interrupting the flow and making the student presenters distracted and anxious about their talk.

Most people don't give a f**k though, and just want to have a rant about how the sky is falling, and aren't too bothered about details.

osarusan wrote: »
    And in the second case, it was a request (not a demand) at a student conference, as applause during presentations was interrupting the flow and making the student presenters distracted and anxious about their talk.

Most people don't give a f**k though, and just want to have a rant about how the sky is falling, and aren't too bothered about details.
    'Demand' was probably the wrong choice of word on my behalf. Of course it was only a request. A twitter account is hardly in a position to issue demands.

I also apologize most profusely for saying they requested 'jazz hands'. Actually, they asked for *feminist* jazz hands

https://twitter.com/womcam/status/580389025892175872

Finally osarusan, I have no interest in apocalypticism. A substantial chunk of my posts on boards are of me whinging about 'Chicken Licken' mindsets, and this is one more example.

The people complaining about this trend, or just discussing this trend, are not 'hysterical'. We're discussing the perpetuation of uncontrolled and exaggerated sensitivity among some people, which could also be described, unkindly perhaps, as hysteria.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Hologram

Lol "feminist jazz hands". :pac:

• Advertisement

'Demand' was probably the wrong choice of word on my behalf. Of course it was only a request. A twitter account is hardly in a position to issue demands.

I also apologize most profusely for saying they requested 'jazz hands'. Actually, they asked for *feminist* jazz hands

https://twitter.com/womcam/status/580389025892175872

Finally osarusan, I have no interest in apocalypticism. A substantial chunk of my posts on boards are of me whinging about 'Chicken Licken' mindsets, and this is one more example.

The people complaining about this trend, or just discussing this trend, are not 'hysterical'. We're discussing the perpetuation of uncontrolled and exaggerated sensitivity among some people, which could also be described, unkindly perhaps, as hysteria.

It's funny the words you use "uncontrolled and exaggerated sensitivity" lol it is a request by one school after a teacher said it caused distress and the Students Union making a request to not clap and giving a number of reasons. You describe that as uncontrolled you should pick up BoJo's thesaurus.

Advertisement