Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bans on handclapping and hugs

Options
  • 22-07-2016 11:07am

A school in Sydney has banned clapping at assemblies in favour of "silent cheering", "excited faces", "punching the air", and "wriggle about on the spot"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-36842731
    "The practice has been adopted to respect members of our school community who are sensitive to noise".

It's ot just the kiddies who are sensitive to clapping. In the UK, National Union of Students has demanded that clapping be replaced by 'jazz hands', as clapping can 'trigger anxiety'.
    The NUS Women's Campaign tweeted: "Some delegates are requesting that we move to jazz hands rather than clapping, as it's triggering anxiety. Please be mindful!"

It isn't just clapping that these sensitive souls can't bear.

An Australian school banned hugging earlier this year, because it amounts to an invasion of personal space. They suggested that students high-five one another instead.

But what if a noisy high-five triggers someone's anxiety?

Is this real life? Is it an elaborate wind-up? There is no justification for this carry-on.

What are the chances the same children are exposed to far greater dangers like obesity, and over-exposure to computer screens, and these are seen as somehow more acceptable hazards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pack of fannys.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Perhaps they have an autism unit in the school. Some kids with autism are very sensitive to noise.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

"wriggle about on the spot"

Some poor kid is going to having a seizure and everyone is just gonna think he's really enthusiastic about the assembly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Calm down all there has been an addition to the article.

Correction: This story was amended on 22 July to clarify that the policy was brought in because of a teacher's condition and applied to assemblies only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

The sale of cotton wool is at an all time high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

spurious wrote: »
    Perhaps they have an autism unit in the school. Some kids with autism are very sensitive to noise.

My son has autism, he's very sensitive to loud noise. He's in a mainstream school. It's noisy. I'll probably be flamed for saying this but he just has to learn to deal with it. He has to find his own way of coping in the world without expecting everyone to change for him. There is no need to ban clapping or anything else, find ways of supporting affected students etc but the world can't, and shouldn't, change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

We've had to travel a long way for the daily outraged at something that in all actuality doesn't affect my life in any way whatsoever but I'm going to rant about it anyway thread, haven't we?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Yellow pack crisps

Oi teachers, leave those kids alone.

spurious wrote: »
    Human civilisation has been around for about 200,000 years; it's not suddenly going to switch to mute. Loud noises are an inevitable part of life on earth.

The NSU women's meeting referenced 'anxiety' as a reason, nobody mentioned autism.
    We've had to travel a long way for the daily outraged at something that in all actuality doesn't affect my life in any way whatsoever but I'm going to rant about it anyway thread, haven't we?
    But this is a message board, not a counselling session. We're here to talk about things like news items, changing attitudes, social policies, and so on; not just things that have a deep personal impact on ourselves.

It's not an 'outrage' it's just a pretty daft trend in attitudes, in my view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

eviltwin wrote: »
    My son has autism, he's very sensitive to loud noise. He's in a mainstream school. It's noisy. I'll probably be flamed for saying this but he just has to learn to deal with it. He has to find his own way of coping in the world without expecting everyone to change for him. There is no need to ban clapping or anything else, find ways of supporting affected students etc but the world can't, and shouldn't, change.

You have a positive and good approach to your son's illness. Good for you.
    This whole bull**** of wrapping in cotton woll is crazy and going to extreme lengths.

Making these stupid rules would only make the kids feel awkward. They are normal kids with illnesses. Treat them normally and they will grow up with a similar attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Smondie

20Cent wrote: »

Correction: This story was amended on 22 July to clarify that the policy was brought in because of a teacher's condition and applied to assemblies only.
    Was the teacher hugging students?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,140 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Human civilisation has been around for about 200,000 years; it's not suddenly going to switch to mute. Loud noises are an inevitable part of life on earth.

The NSU women's meeting referenced 'anxiety' as a reason, nobody mentioned autism.

I never said anyone mentioned autism, I simply suggested a possible reason for the decision. It has been clarified further up the thread anyway.

It seems peculiar to sacrifice the joys of the many for the benefit of one ...

It seems peculiar to sacrifice the joys of the many for the benefit of one ...

The joy of clapping?
    Maybe it causes this teacher headaches or other symptoms why not accommodate him/her for the assemblies?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You have a positive and good approach to your son's illness. Good for you.
    This whole bull**** of wrapping in cotton woll is crazy and going to extreme lengths.

Making these stupid rules would only make the kids feel awkward. They are normal kids with illnesses. Treat them normally and they will grow up with a similar attitude.

You are right but it's not an illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Human civilisation has been around for about 200,000 years

I just wish people paid attention in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Your attitude is loaded with way too much common sense for modern society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Agreed. It can be really difficult for my son sometimes as there is a lot of noise at school. After 3 years he can manage much better, however his SNA would know if he's getting overwhelmed and would bring him for a walk or to the library away from all the noise.

Some things I believe the world needs to adapt but generally, we just need to find ways to adapt to the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Ted111 wrote: »

He was too busy clapping and hugging :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

sure how could you hear anything with all that racket going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Agreed. It can be really difficult for my son sometimes as there is a lot of noise at school. After 3 years he can manage much better, however his SNA is still and would no if he's getting overwhelmed and would bring him for a walk or to the library away from all the noise.

Some things I believe the world needs to adapt but generally, we just need to find ways to adapt to the world.

I think the world needs to understand. That would be enough for me. I don't expect anyone to modify their behaviour to the needs of my son but if he has a meltdown it would be enough if people didn't make it worse by passing judgment or making a snarky comment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

While kids always had sensory issues and conditions like Autisum it is only recently we are getting to understand such conditions. When you meet a kid with such problems you can understand the hell unexpected noise and touching can be. School like home must be a safe environment to all kids and while some of these ideas may seem weird they may just mike a few kids lives a little easier without harming others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Handclapping is very dangerous, I suggest bubblewrap gloves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The silent disco is upon us, the silent busker has joined it, soon we will be able to have noise cancelling headphones to get through life: activate anti SJW mode, activate anti Islamophobic mode, activate anti Mexican mode and on and on. Oh the ignore button solves all life's ills. La La La La LA la...I can't hear you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Well, I believe that the children are our future. We should teach them well and let them lead the way. We need to show them all the beauty they possess inside, give them a sense of pride to make it easier. For goodness sake let the children's laughter remind us of how we used to be.

If you could make someone's life a little more comfortable by modifying your behaviour when they are around why not do it?
    Guy I know can't stand fluorescent lighting. We turn it off if he's around no big deal. No need to be a dick.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

A bunch of facking poofters, Bruce!

This is coming from the "safe space cadets" at Yale and Brown that moved from clapping to finger snapping as regular clapping can be 'triggering'

The joy of clapping?
    I wouldn't necessarily agree with the idea of the 'joy' of clapping, but applause does generate its own enthusiasm. Imagine being at a Bruce Springsteen concert where the audience sit there, deadpan, for fear of triggering the anxiety of some Students Union delegate.

Applause is weird, I know. An alien from outer space would struggle to understand this seal-like behaviour. But it is a way of expressing a feeling of joy and togetherness.

Togetherness is a concept that appears to be consistently diminished by the rise of individualism in society, I think some of the examples in the OP are small illustrations of that.
    Sigh. 'Human beings', then, Ted. Homo sapiens, who probably wore clothes, and may have clapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

If we found out a teacher at our school suffered from that, rather than be schizophrenic psychotic like a few of them, we would have shouted, clapped, stamped and cheered to our hearts content.

I congratulate you and your son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,270 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

While kids always had sensory issues and conditions like Autisum it is only recently we are getting to understand such conditions. When you meet a kid with such problems you can understand the hell unexpected noise and touching can be. School like home must be a safe environment to all kids and while some of these ideas may seem weird they may just mike a few kids lives a little easier without harming others.

Where is the line though?

If a kid or teacher is sensitive to bright lights, should the assemblies be held in a dimly lit room?

If there are children in wheelchairs, should all excursions into the countryside or wheelchair inaccessible places be banned?

If someone is sensitive to loud noises, it is something he/she needs to figure out a way of dealing with it because loud noises are a part of life.

I have a cousin who is profoundly disabled and she gets really anxious in unfamiliar places and where there is commotion or even just a few people in a room talking a little bit too loud. It's awful for her and her family because these sensitivities limit her options for what she can do, and it limits her families options, but those are the cards they were dealt. It would be ridiculous to expect everyone else to accommodate her very specific and intensive needs all of the time.

If you're suffering from hypersensitivity then perhaps your best option is to avoid places that over stimulate you as much as you can while pursuing cognitive behavioural therapy to tackle the root cause of the anxiety or train coping mechanisms to reduce the consequences of the sensitivity to something that is more tolerable, or maybe lifestyle changes to reduce the exposure to triggers of anxiety.

Advertisement