Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It was only one toll (each way) to Le Pin Parasol on the route Google Maps gave us (and don't get suckered into following google maps if it tries to route through Nantes rather than the motorway). Plus one each way to Puy du Foy. I'm not sure I'd bother with a tag.

Just back from Le Pin Parasol - was fairly quiet when we were there, only ramping up. We enjoyed our stay, albeit we expected it to be a bit busier for our teens. The "nature" restaurant and bar wasn't open when we were there. It is a good standard, but I think we were spoiled by Le Littoral, and it isn't up to Le Littoral standard (out of full season at least, which you will be in). Beer is very expensive in the bar (€8.50 a pint of Lagunita's/ €7.50 Affligem). (A good few local craft beers, and also an "85" vendee one in 750ml in the supermarkets, if you're fussy on beer. The IPA was nice). Bread has to ordered,. Coex about 10 minutes drive for UExpress/ Bank/ Pharamacy or a quiet cycle (some of it off road).

I wouldn't plan a lap of the lake by bike! It's a good walk, but is steep/ has steps in places. Definitely recommend the restaurant on the lake for food. 3rd year to the Vendee, and finally made Puy du Foy - definitely recommend it. Download the app, and make sure you've phone/ device and earphones for everyone and use the translation. It seemed busy, lots of queuing but got in everything we wanted, albeit no night shows on.

I suppose the question is would we go back - probably, but we want to try a different region next year.

One thing - you could be a fair way from the pool/ shop. The eurocamp/ kelair further away than the Yelloh!Village (which we stayed in).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I can definitely recommend that Vendee IPA. Some of the local beers are exceedingly good.

The main winner for me is the wine though. 5L box of a very drinkable Cotes du Rhone for less than €15 in the local Super U. Cremant for €5 or less.

Temperature has really ramped up over the last couple of days. Bliss and everyone bbqing every evening.

Brought home a selection of Brasseurs de la Vie stuff from St Gilles (after enjoying them there), and there's another couple around that part of the vendee too that I didn't get too (nice pizza place beside Brassuers de la Vie too actually now I think of it - not pretty from the outside, but food was lovely). The Le Pin on site shop also carried La Cabaude from Les Sables, but it's a lot cheaper in the super market. The "Vendee" beers are Mélusine, who's own labelled beers are good too and readily available (they're near Puy du Fou, and make the Puy du Fou beers).

(I really must make the case for a German or Belgian holiday rather than France 😀 )

Yep that's the brewery! Very partial to their Meduza brew

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Thanks for that, we are staying in the Yelloh village in the Nature area. Surprised to hear is was quiet but I guess the next couple of weeks should be busy as all schools should be done in July. €8.50 is very expensive for a beer alright! I am partial to a good IPA so will check out the local one.

Did you book your Poy Du Fuy when you arrived?

Any COVID restrictions?

• Advertisement

Zero Covid restrictions anywhere from what I've seen. Very similar to Ireland insofar as one or two staff in bars, shops etc might be wearing masks and some shoppers also but apart from that, you wouldn't even notice

Out of interest, have you (or anyone else) ever been stopped for any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, we've driven the length and breath of France many times over the past 20 years. The only time I was ever stopped was a routine breathalyser coming out of the Mt Blanc tunnel 10 years ago. I think if you keep your nose clean, no speeding etc, then you won't draw any attention to yourself and won't be checked.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I’ve probably driven close to 500,000km in mainland Europe over the years, but am still nervous about doing it in a right hand drive car for the first time!!

Any tips or tricks for remembering to stay on the ‘wrong side’ while in a RHD car? I’d say motorways would be fairly straight forward, but I’d be worried on quieter roads around towns etc…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

the driver will always be on the curb so when you are taking left and right turns make sure you are always next to the footpath/curb.

Also whoever is in the passenger seat needs to help you and keep an eye on what you are doing at all times. Your passenger will also be paying any tolls!

• Advertisement

Another question, has anyone visited the D Day beaches on the way to or from the Vendee? If so, would you recommend it with 2 small ones (7 & 2)?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,666 ✭✭✭✭josip

Install Wife 1.0 in the passenger seat. They usually make an audible alarm if you're about to do anything iffy.

The ATMB Peage Tag is compatible with Wife 1.0 who can remain in sleep mode for much longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,448 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I've found pulling out at night to be sometimes tricky - petrol stations in particular - if there are no cars around, you have to be very aware to go to the correct side, footpath out your window. Been travelling there for 30 years and it still takes a day or two to get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Get a piece of insulating tape and stick it on your bonnet where the white line intersects the car in your vision. Then you'll know if you're over the white line or not which is the biggest danger when doing what you're doing.

I hope this makes sense as it's something I've done when driving LHD in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I swear by this, stuck to the corner of the windscreen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I've visited some of these beaches but not while an route to Vendee. I was based in Brittany and was close enough to make a full day out of it.There really is far too much to see be they the beaches, pill boxes, cliff emplacements, grave yards and the associated museums, exhibitions etc.

There should be plenty enough to keep a 7 year old occupied.Not so sure about the two year old or the mother pushing him!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Well, just back from our 4th visit to La Sirene in Argeles Sur Mer, hard to believe it was 2018 when we were there last.

It was lovely to see the improvements they made to the bar and stage area, and the pools are as excellent as always. Weather was excellent which always helps.

A few observations,

The camp seemed fairly quiet overall, with a lot of unoccupied units, we booked with lifestyle, and of the 5 mobiles in our area, only 2 were occupied.

The crowd diversity has changed massively since our last visit, before it seemed like 50% french, 30% UK, and the remaining 20% made up of Irish, Spanish and Dutch, it now seemed like 50% french, 40% irish, and the rest UK/Spanish - indeed, many of the animations crew had phrases as Gaeilge which amused the kids no end.

I will say, I found things a fair bit expensive overall, even the run to aldi for the basics for 2 weeks was close to €100. Menus, also seem to have been simplified a lot, with the general selections reduced, however food and drink on site was of fairly good quality, if overpriced. (ice cream by the scoop was €3:90, a kids meal of chicken nuggets and chips was €10, and a modest enough main course in the beach bar area was about €25 or so.

The drinks selection was also much reduced, 2 types of draught beer, at €6:50 a pint, and a Gin and tonic was €10, after a few of these we reckoned that the house wine at €3 a glass was the way to go.

So in summary, would we go back? well.... maybe? We did 2 weeks, which in retrospect was probably overlong, the kids had had enough of it by the last 2 days, and the draw of the pool etc had worn off. They did develop a strong fondness for archery, but I think I'll have to give some thoughts into what we'll do next year, maybe a shorter stay bookended by some hotel stays or maybe a bit of travelling, unfortunately, we've plenty of time to be thinking about it :(

The Lagunitas was ok (their Hazy IPA) but the local beers are nicer. It picked up second week, and my wife commented how busy the welcome party looked over this weekend! No covid restrictions - pretty much the same as here.

We booked Puy Du Foy when we booked the site, but they sorted the actual tickets in reception. I'd say they could do the whole lot there.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

We’re here in Nature & Sens area since last week. It has only gotten busy the last few days. The pool is amazing. Between 10 & 12 it is restricted to people staying in nature and sens. They are strict on the tight swimming togs. You can buy decathlon brand swimming trunks in site shop for €10. There’s a shuttle running between the two pool areas every 10 mins.

As mentioned above, beer is pricey, although they sell small cans of hino for €2.

Puy du Fou is absolutely amazing. 1hr drive. We booked a few weeks before coming and very few dates were available. I’d recommend booking asap.

Grand Delfi is brill for zip lines and tree climbing - only a few mins away from site.

That explains why people were plumping for the cans! I still probably would've gone IPA though. No shuttle when we were there that we saw, and they weren't even strict on the togs (we even commented on that, given previous experience).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭treascon

Going here in a few weeks. Are they strict with the swimming togs with just adults or is it kids too? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭This is it

Strict in what way?

No “loose” swim togs allowed. Must be tight fitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Great advice that I can relate to😂 . Many years ago on our first driving trip to France we arrived in Roscoff at 7am and drove off the ferry. We were heading east to Val Andre. Followed the traffic out of the port and at the roundabout near Morlaix took the correct exit onto the eastbound N12. 90 minutes later I see the sign later for Pleneuff Val Andre. Up the slip road and onto a small roundabout drove off and I could see this camper van about 300m away heading straight for us. I was just about to open my mouth to say "Where's this ******* eejit going?" when my better half yelled "You're on the wrong side of the road". I moved over to the correct side and waved apologies to the camper van driver! 😊

Since then when driving our car in France I always think of the wise words of Terence the hairdresser from the Gerry Ryan show of old "Keep in by the ditch" 🤣

Post edited by yiddo59 on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

Heading over next month for a few weeks and staying near Bergerac.

This will be our first time in the region since having kids (now 1 and 3), any recommendations on activities (particularly for the 3 year old) in the region? Appreciate there won't be much for that age group, but even toddler friendly water parks etc.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

One Quick though I had while I was over,

we were cleaning out our mobile at the end of the stay, and were left with a reasonable enough amount of general items - toilet rolls, washing up liquid, bin bags, and various condiments / pasta.

I met a couple who were just arriving and they were quite happy to take it off my hands rather than seeing it dumped.

There must be a huge amount of this stuff thrown away needlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭necstandards

What is the current diesel price in France? Cheaper or more expensive than Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭gaillimh

Planning on heading to Pin Parasol for our first time at a campsite. Probably will be heading to Ile De Re first for 5-6 nights.

Did you go Cork - Roscoff? I see the ferry gets into Roscoff at 7am-ish. Would it be an idea to try and grab a bite in Roscoff itself before facing into the long drive - or are we as well off to pull off the motorway into a service station type place a few miles out the road?

Also, any recommendations on somewhere to stop for lunch 3-4 hours out of Roscoff?

I am nervous in the extreme driving a RHD vehicle on the right hand side of the road!

Also, sounds like you preferred Le Littoral to Pin Parasol? So many sites it's hard to decide where to go.

• Advertisement

€2.04 for diesel in a supermarket chain Petrol station a few days ago. Super U.

Advertisement