Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

If you’re going on the WB Yeats, no one will ask you for any covid vacation certs or antigen tests. All that stuff is over. We traveled last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

It is still the law in France that over 18s have to have had a booster within 9 months of entering France and 12 to 17 year olds have to have had the initial vaccine without a 9 month limit. We weren't asked for them when entering this week but Brittany Ferries did send out a text 48 hours before we travelled stating that these documents were required (or you could get tested in advance instead).

Sure, you can gamble that you won't be asked, but personally I wouldn't be risking some very costly holiday disruption by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Brittany Ferries Connemara has breakfast for €7.80. I don't know if it's dearer on their other ships, as this is their 'economie' sailing, but it was very reasonable value.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Detailed French entry requirements for those travelling from Ireland

All travellers arriving by air must complete the EU-PLF form. Passengers arriving by sea or land are not required to complete this form. 

The remaining requirements for travel to France from Ireland depend on your vaccination/recovery status.

If you are vaccinated, you must present proof of complete vaccination.

For the purposes of international travel to France, the French government defines complete vaccination as:

• 7 days after the second injection of an EMA-approved two-dose vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca/Vaxzevria/Covishield);
    • 4 weeks after the injection of a single-dose vaccine (Johnson & Johnson);
    • 7 days after the injection of a single dose of any of these vaccines for persons who have previously had COVID-19; and
    • For persons aged 18 years or older, a booster dose of an mRNA vaccine no later than nine months after receiving the last mandatory dose.
    • A booster dose is not required for children aged 12-17 if they have completed the primary vaccination schedule. 

If you are recovered, you must present a certificate of recovery dated more than 11 days and less than 6 months prior to the date of arrival (a certificate of recovery is a document issued to persons who have contracted COVID-19, upon presentation of a positive RT-PCR or antigenic test).

If you are unvaccinated, you must present a negative RT-PCR test taken no more than 72 hours prior to your departure or an antigen test taken no more than 48 hours before departure.

If you are unvaccinated and relying on an antigen test, please note that only tests that can detect the presence of the SARS-CoV-2 N protein will be valid. You should confirm this with your test provider.

If you do not demonstrate that you meet the above requirements, you may be denied boarding.

Children under the age of 12 are exempt from these requirements.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Has anyone had any good/bad experience with the speedy exit option that Irish Ferries do (Dublin - Cherbourg)? Is it worth it? Does it get you to the passport checks quicker than the rest?

Saw a video from last month, the guy had paid for the speedy exit but didn't get it it seems!! and had a long queue to get to the passport control & exit.. (or is this queue just the norm for everyone anyway?)

I booked it as I want to be on the road asap as looking to put in 600-700km on the day of arrival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭kindalen

You generally get off quickly, and get to board early. I have been slow getting off with it a few times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

I just got off this morning, took ages to board and we were one of the last on. We weren’t first off but by the time we sat in our car and went through customs was exactly 30 mins. Probably speedy enough I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,897 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Just flew in yesterday. Filled out the PLF and have all the vaccines, but no one has asked for them either digitally or in person. We flew with Swiss Air via Zurich and there hasn't been one single mention of COVID or any evidence of it on our travels.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Looking at France (first time) for next summer. I see Brittany ferries are available but Irish Ferries don't seem to be, do you know when they open booking for summer 2023?

Also a lot of the campsites seem to be nearly booked out already, with only tents or one mobile type available if any. Which I wasn't expecting 13 months out!

But then some aren't taking bookings yet. How far ahead do you normally have to book them?

For example I can book Sol a gogo for this summer but appears as sold out for next summer

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Sixtoes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Quick one re. Aires de Services on French motorways:

Will be sailing Rosslare to Cherbourg with Brittany Ferries overnight on Monday/Tuesday. Car is quite likely to be on open deck for the crossing, and therefore covered in salt when I get there. Should I look for a car wash in Cherbourg to wash it off, or can I take it that as I hit the motorway a while later, the sort of Aires that have a filling station will also generally have a car wash facility?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Travelled on Wed from Cork with Brittany Ferries and the lad in the kiosk had a quick scan of passports and Covid certs etc and said that they would be more scrutinized in Roscoff which they were by Immigration/Police. No checks anywhere after that but I heard today that Brittany Ferries are making it a requirement for masks to be worn again on their ships so I guess the level has been raised again.

Probably got out just in time before anymore restrictions are raised again on entry.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I checked a few days ago and it’s still a legal requirement in France and in French waters to wear a mask.

we plan on wearing masks while onboard the ship in public spaces, and then in the car until we get past passport check..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I travelled with Celtic Link Ferries some years ago and the car was on the open deck whilst it was stormy. I've no memory of any salt being visible on the car afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭webpal

Just on the roaming, I mentioned above I was going to try Vodafone, I got the Vodafone x which has 30gb roaming for €20 but the chap in the shop said you cannot use it as a hotspot. I got it anyway and it works perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Most French campsites don't open bookings until after Halloween or even January.

But if you are staying there this summer you can reserve in many places

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Depends on how high swells are on a given day.

I did Dublin-Holyhead last month on a windy day and had plenty of salt on the car despite being a good 30-40 metres away from the open deck area

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We took the WB Yeats last Saturday to Cherbourg and had speedy exit. About 10 cars disembarked ahead of us and we were through passport checks very quickly. It was well worth it in my opinion. We had a 4.5hr drive ahead of us and still managed to get to the campsite at a reasonable time and get settled

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Tweaky

From the Brittany ferries website

Mask-wearing has been reinstated on board our ships & in our ports 

From Monday, 4 July, to ensure the continued safety of our passengers and our crew, we are requesting all passengers, unless exempt - older than six years old - to wear a mask while in the port and on board in public areas (other than when seated to eat or drink).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,204 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Irish Ferries usually open booking for the following summer season in late September or early October.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Thanks to both yourself and @Seth Brundle for the replies.

We were on open deck when we last sailed to France (back in 2019, pre-Covid!). Car went on red, and came off almost white, there was so much salt on it. Maybe it does depend on wind or whatever, but that was certainly our experience at the time.

Anyway, still wondering....can I take it that motorway services would generally have a car wash, so I can push on a bit out of Cherbourg and wash it later in the day when I'd be stopping anyway, rather than having to make an extra stop in Cherbourg itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,707 ✭✭✭blackwhite

In France the motorway services are owned by the motorway companies but operated by the various retailers who tender for the operating rights. What services they offer are largely determined by what the MW company wants. Some Aire’s will have a car wash and some won’t - historically the MW sites weren’t as well served by car washes as offline sites.

Based on how profitable car-washes are for service station operators - whenever you leave the MWs on day 1 you’ll come across one quickly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Blue elephant is a big chain of car washes, they are all over the Manche and Calvados if you find your car a bit salty after the trip. Just search google down there and you’ll find one handy enough. There is one very near the Cite de La Mer just off the roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭Baybay

When we travelled before Christmas, our car was on deck & covered in salt when we arrived. We had put a couple of litre bottles of water in the boot to rinse off the mirrors & front & rear screens before disembarking.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Jambalaya

Hi,

Can I ask a stupid question please? We changed our car this year to a 2019 Corolla. On our old car we had to use the light adjuster stickers to adjust the dipped beams. I can't find any information about whether our current car needs them. I've emailed the dealer but was wondering if anyone here knew the answer.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

If anyone is coming back from France at the end of Jul or early Aug and has a French SIM, I'd be very grateful if they might pass it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

As far as I know it depends on whether your car has full LED highlights or standard halogen lamps. If its halogen lamps, you will need the beam benders.

Newer cars with LEDs have a setting where you can realign the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

In Yelloh Sylvamar at the moment and very happy with our pitch.

This site has pitches with their own private toilet/shower/fridge/kitchen sink block.

For us tenters, this is sheer luxury :) and it will be very hard to go back to shared facilities in the common block after this.

Does anyone know of other campsites in France that also has this facility on certain pitches?

https://www.camping-sylvamar.com/en/accommodation/10038.html#content

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bez Bing

Hi,

Does anyone have a list of things you need to have ready to drive in France e.g. notify insurer, do you still need the breathaliser and high-vis jacket etc.?

I've tried searching this thread but couldn't find a comprehensive answer.

We are sailing this weekend to Cherburg (WB Yeats) and then driving onto Le Pin Parasol in the Vendee, so if anyone has been this year and has any advice on what to do/what not to do etc. that would be great too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,812 ✭✭✭✭josip

High-viz, warning triangle, headlights adjusted, crit air sticker if planning to visit an urban center, atmb tag to make life easier at the peages.

Although we have the breathalyser, it's the wrong spec but I'm not loosing any sleep over it.

Advertisement