Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭gaillimh

Hi guys.

Planning on booking Brittany Ferries for June 2023. At the moment it's just under €1400 return. Are there discount codes available at all for Brittany Ferries? Never travelled to France before on the ferry so not sure what the story is.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Just off WBY ferry. Absolutely fabulous experience as a first timer. If going clubclass you dont need to bring any snacks or drinks with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes, in the Tesla, and haven’t given charging a 2nd thought…… currently on the first charging stop in Caen

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Brilliant thank you! It was the news that the fire had hit the coast around Bordeaux that spooked me! I had considered staying around the Dune of Pilat, but in the end we are more up towards Royan for our second week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,834 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Enjoy that area. Don't miss a trip to Cognac for tours if you have half the chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

You'll be fine

Rouffignac cave for something different

Obviously all the castles and markets

Swimming and canoeing in the Dordogne river.

Lots to do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Most years in January they offer discounts for early booking of inclusive holidays but not for ferry only travel. I dont ever remember seeing actual discount codes for BF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

Just wanted to some of my own experiences now that we are back. Went out on WB Yeats at end of June. Food prices were €18 for basic pizza. €12 for a kids meal. One waffle or 2 pancakes were €10. Pints were €6.25 but €6.95 on way back. There were plenty of people sitting in the cafe drinking their own beer and wine. I had the speedy exit on way out, was one of the last on but there were definitely a good few let out before us. On return I couldn’t get it but despite being on deck 7 we were one of the first off. Based on the prices, I tried to upgrade to club class weeks before and onboard but it was full, so if you are thinking about it do it when booking. Free Wi-Fi not great to connect but works ok.

We had an 8 hour drive up so decided to stay in Bayeux the night before returning. Stayed in a nice budget hotel a couple of mins from main route and within walking distance to centre ville. We said we would do some of the beaches the following morning. We’ve been travelling for years and have never stopped. I would definitely recommend but plan well, we only managed to see overlord museum, Omaha beach and pointe du hoc before running out of time. I have a few spare guide books from the hotel if anyone wants one. I never realised there was so much to do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,114 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Food prices were €18 for basic pizza.

They have a screen listing a variety if pizzas but all you can order is either margherita or pepperoni. When no asked about the screen the person behind the counter nearly took offence.

Free Wi-Fi not great to connect but works ok.

20 mins per day is crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭webpal

20 mins per email address 😉. Just keep putting in random email addresses. You don’t have to verify your address

• Advertisement

I know but its still crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭yaknowski

Hope there's a break in the weather soon over there. Horrible to see sites razed to the ground like that. Off to Palymre Loisirs in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Same as that, went out late June and back mid July. WB Yeats prices ridiculous and glad we ate well before getting the boat both times and had our own food for breakfast next morning. The prices aren't justifiable.....€11.95 for a breakfast roll which is really a bap and only 3 items allowed! it was the 1st time I'd seen people drinking their own cans and wine in the main bar (I'd seen it in the main café area before alright).

We stayed in Sol a GoGo and got out after just a few days of the hot spell that was incoming. The sea breeze made it bearable. We did a few days inland at Puy du Fou and O'Gliss Waterpark...both amazing days out and highly recommend...but it was especially hot at the waterpark and glad we went ViP and had our own private area to chill out in in the shade.

Sol a GoGo has changed and I suppose that's to be expected with no Irish there for 2 years due to CV19 so the business model has moved on (now a part of a French campsite franchise...Paradis). French are now the majority on site and French teenagers were noticeable from early July though I've seen it worse at more French sites we stayed at previously. But still a good amount of Irish there so there was always someone to chat to around the bar at night or for the kids to hang with at the pool and playground. Pints around €5.80 which is cheaper than Dublin but obvs more expensive than rural Ireland....I noticed prices at some camps close by were nearly €8 which is mad for a campsite bar.

Food has definitely got more expensive as others have noted here. Meat in Supermarkets seems to be much higher than what I remembered, especially chicken. Eating out at basic pizza/burger joints similar to gastro pubs at home.

Delighted to have gotten back to France after a few years absence and thinking of booking with BF already rather than wait until October or so for Irish Ferries. Will probably go back to Sol A Gogo again as the kids are still young and the pool area (esp the inside pool) suits them perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Right said I'd do a post of our first experience ever in France and our first experience of a campsite for holidays. Family of 5 , kids ages 11, 7 and 4.we also travelled with another family of 5 with kids of similar ages. We arrived back yesterday morning.

We sailed with Brittany Ferries Cork - Roscoff return. We went on the Pont Aven on the way over and returned on the Armorique. Pint of beer on the way over was 6 euro and bar was extremely busy for about 2 hours on the way over,maybe 20 mins at times to get served. It was 5 euro on the way so not sure why. Pont Aven has more facilities and restaurants but found the Armorique fine on the way back tbh, smaller but grand. Prices for food were as expected from what I'd read here previously. We booked 3 cabins for the 10 of us to have a bit of space but if doing it again, I'd just squeeze 5 into one room tbh.

We went via Eurocamp and stayed in Domaine Les Ormes in Brittany region. We went for the the 3 bed Azure model and mostly it was fine except no option for air-conditioning unless you pay much more for the Aspect range, Azure is modern and newer than the comfort range but there is a queen size bed in the master bedroom that is too big for the room IMO as you can't walk around the bed to get to where you'd be sleeping on the inside. It meant for me who wakes earlier trying to climb across the better half to get up in the morning without waking herself. I've looked at a few other prices from other providers and I'd be happy to chance someone else based on their prices. We didn't avail of the kids camps provided by Eurocamp once as the kids were happy out playing with each and mainly wanted to avail of the pools.

There is a good outdoor pool with a couple of slides and a dome covered pool with more slides, wave pool, lazy river and few other bits which were great, so we'd start in the outdoor pool for 2 hours approximately and then do another few hours in the Dome pool.

There is a spar on site for a handy few bits, fresh bread rolls etc but there is plenty of supermarkets either direction about 15 mins away for bigger shops.

The take away option on site is OK, have read a lot of complaints on the Facebook group of people unhappy with the times it's open and quality of food available, it's open 2 hours around lunch and 2 hours in the evening, youre talking about 11/12 for a pizza and I'd happily eat one to myself some of the pizza's were 17/18 euro. They reopened the cellar restaurant for the first time in 2 1/2 years but it was 1 set menu and didn't look like something we'd eat as a family. We did try the golf clubhouse restaurant one night a bit expensive but normal prices from what I could see for onside restaurants for France, about 100 euro for 3 kids meals and mains, glass of wine and some minerals. I ate mine as did my son but my wife and 2 younger kids didn't really like theirs , so more for me lol.

Cheapest pint in the bar was 6 euro and went up to 8/9 euro but there was an area beside the bar where you could bring down your own drinks and work away whilst enjoying the entertainment and was encouraged from what I could see as there was no way that bar could cater to everyone on site.

Overall very positive first experience in France, only issue was you weren't walking distance if you wanted to head out for a meal or anything off site, my wife didn't want to be cooking every night ( I did most of the cooking) , she missed the way you could walk out of your hotel and have loads of restaurants options like you would when in the likes of Spain, not sure if other sites would be better in that regard, I kind of took it as you generally ate in most of the time when doing campsites, so I'm definitely open to other suggestions for sites that might be better in that regard. With all that said everyone had a great time and the 2 families had a ball together especially the kids. We did a day trip to the Zoo which included a birds of prey show and a dog show, 94 euro for family of 5.

Apologies the long winded post but said it might be helpful for someone looking to do their first trip.

Post edited by glic83 on

Reading that and other posts here, it feels like half the people on here head to the likes of Domaine Les Ormes. Personally, I like to get right into France .

We're back a week from the Cevennes via Irish Ferries. The Tuesday Dublin-Cherbourg ferry sailing was half empty which was quite a surprise. The return was businer but I'd say it still wasn't at capacity. Sailing mid-week is a bit cheaper than sailing at the weekend.

Staying with Canvas in an air-conditioned mobile home in Val du cantobre near Millau, the campsite was half empty with mostly Belgians and Dutch. No Irish and very few Brits so it was nice. This was our second trip to this campsite. Usually we'd head to the Dordogne (Sarlat) but fancied coming back here.

One criticism I might have this time around was that for some reason, the campsite bakery tended to slightly overdo their breakfast pastries. However, the pastries in the boulangerie in the nearby village (Nant) were to die for (I'd travel there again today simply to taste their Almond Croissants again).

I think in total I drove about 2,800kms but most of it was there and back on the autoroutes with not a huge amount on tolls. We stayed overnight in a hotel in Bourges on the way down and two nights in a hotel in Saumur on the return. Stocked up on wine (including (as always) some splendid Loire sparkling wines) whilst in Saumur.

Temperatures in the Cevennes were late 20s to mid-30s - we were there in-between the two heatwaves. There was plenty to do on the campsite. Our kids are in thir late teens but still found stuff to do (they never wanted to do the campsite kiddies club crap). The pool compex is quite good and because the park was half full, it tended to be nice and quiet (yaay!). Away from the campsite, there is loads to do. We went back to a number of places we previously visited (Chaos de Montpellier-le-Vieux, La Couvertoirade, canoeing along the Tarn, etc.).

I did a bit of cycling there (way less than I'd have liked!). Plenty of flat routes but also loads of steep hills for those that want them.

I'd recommend the trip!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Jack0125

Hi. Looking at Pin Parasol for next year.

Can anyone here clarify, is there x2 pool complexs in different parts of the camp site? Can you cross between pool complexes not matter if you nature and sensing or not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Heroditas

We arrived back from nearly 4 weeks away earlier today. Two full weeks in La Garangeoire and just over a week in Les Menhirs. Also two enforced extra days but c'est la vie. Let's just say that I was delighted with the quality of service in a car repair garage on Monday to get me home today!

Loved both sites but Les Menhirs won hands down, simply because there were very few Irish people there so I felt like I was properly away. Also, a lovely beach 200m from the campsite and a small town with some very nice restaurants right on your doorstep.

We (2 adults, 2 kids) stayed in an Azure Plus in both sites. Funnily enough they seem to be the same footprint as the three bed Azure but have loads more storage and counter/kitchen space because there's only 2 not 3 bedrooms.

Eurocamp staff are lovely. Never an argument and always go out of their way to help you.

It was unseasonably hot in Brittany but that unseasonable weather seems to be becoming more common each year! It was 43c in Vannes on Monday evening.

I think both camps were a nice size. I wouldn't be too keen on going to a camp with 500+ pitches. Camp destination in my opinion anyway all depends on the ages of your kids and whether something like Kids Club is important so you can have a break from them!

After staying in three of these camps.now, my priorities would be proximity to beach/town, supermarket and then on-site activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

that is a nuts drive, would it not work out cheaper to fly with 4 and rent a car

Nah, we booked in early May and with the crap at the airports I didn't want it. Also, I was able to bring my bike and we brought back a load of good wine. The drive actually isn't that bad when spread over two days. I'd happily do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

yes the airports are nuts

how long did you go for? with 4 days of driving at least

it just seems mad to drive all the way to the med basically

The driving was split over four days but we also got to do things on those days so they weren't a write off.

As for the location, yeah it was quite far south but not quite the Med. However, I still find it surprising that the Irish tend to congregate in camps within a short drive of the ferry rather than move deeper into France (Dordogne, Averyon, Cantal, Burgundy, etc.) Even the Loire Valley doesn't see that many Irish.

Plus cost-wise, I did look at the cost of flying and hiring a car but, in total, it wasn't that different to the ferry and since then I've found that many people who booked hire-cars couldn't actually get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

Ignore him Seth 🙂 and some of us would refer to that drive as "the first leg".

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Salvadoor

I did "the drive" - Roscoff to Argelés Sur Mer, 1150km. It's not mad to do it, it takes some additional investment of time, but if you're already taking the boat, it's well worth it. My kids are pre-teens and mid-teens, so well able to self-sooth if they have a Spotify connection. ;) Let me sell it to you all this way...

We got stung badly in 2020 by Ryanair and Hertz - ended up spending 1,600 on a hire-car for two weeks, even though we had one pre-booked (for 500) - we just got caught-out by a flight cancellation to which Hertz capitolised on. I'll not forget, I can tell you.

This year we decided on staying in Hippocampe in Argeles, but I wanted to bring my bike and also avoid the airports and hire-car situation, plus bring home the local vin. As it stood the flights to Carcasonne were working out at about 1,100 for 4 pax with roughly 1,500 for a hire-car (two weeks). The Brittany Ferries cost ~750 each way, so 1,500 total. Diesel on the 1150kms in France and drive from Dublin to Cork cost 240. The tolls on the route were 67 EUR (we stopped in Niort for lunch and fuel and to cut out that waste of 30km around Niort on the A83).

Brittany Ferries gets you into Roscoff at 07:00 and we were on the road by 07:30. We had breakfast in a McDonalds in Saint-Brieuc (just after a spot of torrential rain). We hit Niort for a leisurely lunch by 13:40, and we were through Bordeaux by 16:15. We stopped off once more just between Toulouse and Carcassone (there is an unusual motorway lay-by there called "Port Lauragais" which is on the Canal du Midi. I remember friends of ours stopping to swim there in the 90's.).

We arrived into Hippocampe just after 21:20, meaning that the drive took just under 14hrs. We even made it over briefly to the entertainment in La Sirene before I flopped into my bed for a well earned rest.

My wife met a nice Sligo man (black BMW) at the bar who had also driven down and had done so for the last 26 years, but despite there being lots of Irish at the campsite very, very few drove.

On the return I broke the journey into 4 sections and stopped in Dordogne (as I previously mentioned) as one of the stops.

Anyway, that's my story. See ya there next year perhaps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Love the driving down itinerary stories. We're probably 2 years off that journey

We flew and hired a car with a 3 & half year old. Worked out well for the few weeks.

Biscarrosse, Oleron, Dordogne

Engine temperature sensor. Engine overheated as a result and scared the sh1t out of me as it started revving like crazy but also losing power at 110kmph. Literally limped off the motorway in hybrid mode with 40ft trucks blazing up behind me before overtaking me at the last minute.

Gotta be happy with the service I got in terms of the breakdown truck and the driver who was so nice to my kids who were distraught. Also the guys in the garage who shrugged and said "it's no problem, we will have this fixed in 5 hours. They even washed the car after they fixed it!!! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 13,709 ✭✭✭✭josip

If it ever happens again or to anyone else here, it's worth turning the heater temp to full and and the fan speed to full. It will draw a lot of heat from the engine. If you've got a teenager with you, put them in the passenger seat and give them the official title of 'engineer'. Their job will be to constantly adjust the minimum heat setting/fan speed that will allow you to maintain at least 100kph on the motorways at summer temps and not go into limp mode. It got us home in 2018 where we were able to get the water pump replaced under warranty. Not guaranteed to work if you have kids younger than 7 on board, but will make for a memorable trip.

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Regarding long drives off the ferry….

we landed in Cherbourg on Monday afternoon and drove 1,300km to Kiel in Northern Germany to catch another ferry to Lithuania that left on the Tuesday evening, stopping off on Monday night in Maastricht…. And all in an electric car…..

easily doable to put any sort of distance in if you plan accordingly.

Advertisement