Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland Under 20 2017 6 Nations/Junior World Cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 410 ✭✭brockboy02

Some more info, u20 players playing in Ireland, the vast majority of players on this list will make up u20 team:

LH Prop
    Greg McGrath(Lansdowne)
    Martin Mulhall(Lansdowne)
    Richie Mouatt(UCD)
    Mick McCormack(St. Marys)
    Joey Conway(UL Bohs)
    Matthew Burke(Galwegians)
    Anton Lupari(Queens)

TH Prop
    Peter Cooper(Belfast Harelquins)
    James Kendrick(UCC)
    Dylan Murphy(Shannon)
    Peter Kelleher(UL Bohs)

Hooker
    Tadgh McElroy(Lansdowne)
    Conor Maguire(Old Wesley)
    Adam Moloney(Shannon)
    Mark O'Mara(Young Munster)
    Ronan Kelleher(UCD) - u19

Lock
    Cillian Gallagher(Sligo?)
    Jack Regan(UCD)
    Oisin Dowling(Lansdowne)
    Fineen Whycerely(Young Munster)
    John McCusker(Rainey) - u19

Backrow
    John Foley(Shannon)
    Gavin Coombes(Young Munster)
    Caelan Doris(St. Marys) - u19
    Marcus Rea(Queens)
    Barry Fitzpatrick(Lansdowne)
    Tom De Jongh(Old Belvo)
    Jonny Guy(UCD)
    Paul Boyle(Lansdowne)
    Aaron Hall(Ballynahinch) - u19
    Sean Masterson(Corinthians) - u19
    Alan Fitzgerald(Shannon)
    Conor Hand(Navan)
    Alistair Burke(Queens) - u19
    David Whitten(Queens)

Scrumhalf
    Jonny Stewart(Queens) - u19
    Jack Stafford(Shannon)
    Keith Kavanagh(Shannon)
    Jack Lyons(Young Munster)
    Darragh Sweeney(Malahide)

Outhalf
    Bill Johnston(Garryowen)
    Johnny McPhillips(Ballynahinch)
    Conor Fitzgerald(Shannon)
    Alan Tynan(Young Munster)
    Ciaran Frawley(UCD)
    Conor Dean(St. Marys) - u19
    Luke Carty(Buccaneers)

Centre
    Rory Butler(Queens)
    Callum Smith(Malone) - u19
    Gavin Mullin(UCD)
    Tommy O'Brien(UCD) - u19
    Conor Jennings(Clontarf)
    Peadar Collins(Garryowen)
    Alex McHenry(Cork Con)
    Tom Stapley(Ballynahinch) - u19

Back Three
    Jack Kelly(DUFC)
    Colm Hogan(DUFC)
    Jordan Larmour(St. Marys)
    Calvin Nash(Young Munster)
    Rob Lyttle(Queens)
    Conor Kelly(Queens)
    Tim Carrol(UCD)
    Liam Coombes(Garryowen)
    Mark Keane(Instonians)
    Ollie Brown(Ballynahinch) - u19
    Daniel Hurley(Garryowen) - u19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Tarf1234

brockboy02 wrote: »
    Some more info, u20 players playing in Ireland, the vast majority of players on this list will make up u20 team:
    What's your fascination with Irish players? What about the Scottish U20s??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

England v France: Saturday 4th February – Sandy Park, Exeter, 12.00pm
    Wales v England: Friday 10th February – Eirias Park, Colwyn Bay, 19.15
    England v Italy: Friday 24th February – Darlington Mowden Park, KO 19:45pm
    England v Scotland: Saturday 11th March – Franklin’s Gardens, Northampton, 18.15
    Ireland v England: Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin. Date and time TBC

English venues all set and times set bar our game.
    Good seeing English spread their games round different venues and Welsh keeping with playing the u20 games in North Wales.....

English venues all set and times set bar our game.
    Good seeing English spread their games round different venues and Welsh keeping with playing the u20 games in North Wales.....
    Where would you like to see our games played? Not sure if I'm sold on it being in Donnybrook but would prefer one location and not sure where else I'd choose. Ravenhill and Thomond too big maybe Musgrave park but that's probably too big as well. Sportsground might be an idea particularly with Galway being a big student city.

Tarf1234 wrote: »
    Where would you like to see our games played? Not sure if I'm sold on it being in Donnybrook but would prefer one location and not sure where else I'd choose. Ravenhill and Thomond too big maybe Musgrave park but that's probably too big as well. Sportsground might be an idea particularly with Galway being a big student city.
    Sportsground, Musgrave, Thomond. Ravenhill. Any of the provincial grounds
    I don't see why Ravenhill or Thomond should be seen as too big. You work with local clubs and schools and get crowds in.
    Not everything should be in Dublin.

Sportsground, Musgrave, Thomond. Ravenhill. Any of the provincial grounds
    I don't see why Ravenhill or Thomond should be seen as too big. You work with local clubs and schools and get crowds in.
    Not everything should be in Dublin.
    I'd have it outside of Dublin personally. I don't think you'd get a big enough crowd in to either ground to have any atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

I remember going to watch my cousin play France in Athlone for the 20s to win the 6 Nations. Ground was absolutely packed to burst. Was a brilliant atmosphere. Being the centre of the country it might attract more spectators from different provinces? Others will know better than me how feasible it is, whether it can even be used or big enough etc?

the pitch was also often a mess at that time... at least donnybrook ensures a good surface

the pitch was also often a mess at that time... at least donnybrook ensures a good surface
    Agree with that. Can't go back to Athlone.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    I remember going to watch my cousin play France in Athlone for the 20s to win the 6 Nations. Ground was absolutely packed to burst. Was a brilliant atmosphere. Being the centre of the country it might attract more spectators from different provinces? Others will know better than me how feasible it is, whether it can even be used or big enough etc?
    It was certainly big enough as i was at games there and always room for more. It attracted more from western areas of country than anything in Dublin would.
    Yes it was but it was outside dublin, somewhere different. With just 1 A international a year. All senior internationals having to be in the Aviva when can the rest of the country see Irish teams play? Hvaing 20s and womens internationals in Donnybrook means
    Donnybrook offers a good surface but so would Musgrave, Sportsground or any ground like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

It was certainly big enough as i was at games there and always room for more. It attracted more from western areas of country than anything in Dublin would.

Yes it was but it was outside dublin, somewhere different. With just 1 A international a year. All senior internationals having to be in the Aviva when can the rest of the country see Irish teams play? Hvaing 20s and womens internationals in Donnybrook means
    Donnybrook offers a good surface but so would Musgrave, Sportsground or any ground like that

I'd say the advantage Donnybrook has over them is it's probably cheaper to run on match day. Also it doesn't have a province playing there and is astro so you don't have to worry about fixing the pitch in a quick turn around that you might have with provincial grounds.
    I think womens and U 20's matches should be played outside Dublin but I can see why they've chosen to have it in Donnybrook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

D14Rugby wrote: »
    I'd say the advantage Donnybrook has over them is it's probably cheaper to run on match day. Also it doesn't have a province playing there and is astro so you don't have to worry about fixing the pitch in a quick turn around that you might have with provincial grounds.
    I think womens and U 20's matches should be played outside Dublin but I can see why they've chosen to have it in Donnybrook

The teams want to play in Donnybrook which I think should probably be considered as well

I dont see Donnybrook being cheaper to run. Stewards etc are paid in Donnybrook. Theyre not in Sportsground and many are also volunteers in Thomond.
    I can see why games are played in Donnybrook but disappointed that it means there is virtually no irish games at any grade outside of Dublin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Athlone was great bar the weather and the pitch! Always seemed to be flooded and windswept. Be nice to have games moved around at that level but i think a 4G is the priority

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Athlone was great bar the weather and the pitch! Always seemed to be flooded and windswept. Be nice to have games moved around at that level but i think a 4G is the priority
    I don't see an artificial surface being a priority as the surface of Sportsground, Musgrave etc wont exactly be that bad.
    Dubarry Park probably has several hundred games played on it every season between all Buccaneers games so at times was poor but it wasn't as bad most of the time as some are making it out to be

I don't see an artificial surface being a priority as the surface of Sportsground, Musgrave etc wont exactly be that bad.
    Dubarry Park probably has several hundred games played on it every season between all Buccaneers games so at times was poor but it wasn't as bad most of the time as some are making it out to be

it was regularly awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

it was often in bits! it was that bad. Dreaded playing English there every time it came around

UCD:
    15 Steven Kilgallen
    14 Robin Reidy
    13 Colm Mulcahy
    12 Tim Costigan
    11 Jack O’Shea
    10 Tim Foley
    9 Niall O’Donnell
    1 Rory Mulvihill
    2 Matt O’Donovan
    3 Richard Mouatt
    4 Niall Marshall
    5 Conor O’Flynn
    6 David Pogatchnik
    7 Ben Murray
    8 Ronan Foley

Replacements; 16 Alex Holmes; 17 Sam Griffin; 18 Alec Byrne; 19 Robert Hughes; 20 Tom Foley; 21 Jamie Stone; 22 Jack Ringrose.

I believe the irish 20's are in england this weekend playing a game but I could be wrong.. there was a camp this week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Stainalert

I believe the irish 20's are in england this weekend playing a game but I could be wrong.. there was a camp this week

Don' t think so

Stainalert wrote: »
    Don' t think so

Yeah I could be wrong on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Yeah I could be wrong on that one.

Landsdowne play UCD in u20 league on Sunday in Belfield. Two top teams at that age grade in Leinster.

rughug wrote: »
    Landsdowne play UCD in u20 league on Sunday in Belfield. Two top teams at that age grade in Leinster.

I know, not really relevant to what they do with the irish u20's though.. players get pulled all the time.. and most of those squads wont come close to Ireland u20 consideration.

As i said I could be wrong, they had a camp during the week and I had heard they might have a game aswell..

I know, not really relevant to what they do with the irish u20's though.. players get pulled all the time.. and most of those squads wont come close to Ireland u20 consideration.

As i said I could be wrong, they had a camp during the week and I had heard they might have a game aswell..

Most guys from both clubs who will be looking to play 20s are probably playing 1sts this weekend anyway. U20s never takes into account AIL let alone 20s.

Tommy O'Brien with another try for UCD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Tommy O'Brien with another try for UCD.

He is a banker to start at 12 for the Ireland 20s. But the whole structure at UCD rugby is a shambles. Skehan as head coach is a shocker and it's all prima donnas spending their time in Academies and not playing any matches.
    They will do well to avoid relegation from 1A.

He is a banker to start at 12 for the Ireland 20s. But the whole structure at UCD rugby is a shambles. Skehan as head coach is a shocker and it's all prima donnas spending their time in Academies and not playing any matches.
    If the guys in academies are not playing then its hardly the UCD coaches fault?
    How is structure a shambles?

Saw Belvo and NUIG-Corinthians this afternoon in JP Fanagan Div2. Belvo won 28-25 but better side lost. Belvo not a great side.

Munster league has a few more games ahead of Christmas. UCC Beagles and Cork Con are leading the table but have played a few games more than others so things may change as teams catch up on games

u20 players playing AIL this weekend.

Prop
    Joey Conway - started at 1 for UL Bohs
    Stephen McGivern - bench for UCD
    Jordan Duggan - bench for Naas

Hooker
    Conor Maguire - started for Old Wesley
    Tadgh McElroy - bench for Lansdowne
    Mark O'Mara - bench for Young Munster
    Eoghan Maher - bench for Buccaneers

Lock
    Fineen Wycherley - bench for Young Munster
    Ronan Coffey - started at 4 for Shannon
    Sean Masterson - started at 5 for Corinthians
    Cillian Gallagher - bench for Corinthians

Backrow
    Paul Boyle - started at 8 for Lansdowne
    Gavin Coombes - started at 8 for Young Munster
    Caelan Doris - started at 8 for St. Marys
    Bailey Faloon - started at 8 for Garryowen
    Tom De Jongh - started at 7 for Old Belvo
    Jonny Guy - started at 6 for UCD

Scrumhalf
    James Lennon - started at 9 for UL Bohs
    Keith Kavanagh - started at 9 for Shannon
    Jack Stafford - bench for Shannon

Outhalf
    Alan Tynan - started at 10 for Young Munster, 2 cons
    Conor Fitzgerald - started at 10 for Shannon
    Conor Dean - started at 10 for St. Marys
    Ciaran Frawley - started at 10 for UCD, 2 cons, 1 pen
    Bill Johnston - bench for Garryowen

Centre
    Tommy O'Brien - started at 12 for UCD, 1 try.
    Dave McCarthy - started at 12 for Garrywowen, 1 try.
    Calvin Nash - started at 13 for Young Munster, 1 try.

Back Three
    Jordan Larmour - Started at 11 for St. Marys.
    Timmy Phelan - started at 15 for Dolphin
    Luke Carty - started 15 for Buccaneers
    Liam Coombes - started at 11 for Garryowen.

As according to irishrugby.ie, incomplete for all players as some teams not covered.

I think that is a touch harsh. He is a young coach in his first season in club rugby and the structure UCD have in place is hardly his fault. Also they have probably been hit harder this season than in other years by provincial call ups.

Stainalert wrote: »
    I think that is a touch harsh. He is a young coach in his first season in club rugby and the structure UCD have in place is hardly his fault. Also they have probably been hit harder this season than in other years by provincial call ups.

Yup Skehan isn't a bad coach IMO, also not sure why the structures are so bad looking at their academy players this week they had

Loughman, Porter and R Byrne with Leinster senior team.
    Ryan, Murphy, Connors, Timmins, McCarthy all injured.
    Jimmy O'Brien playing 7's.
    Not sure about Hugo Keenan.

Leaving them with Sean McNulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

u20 players playing AIL this weekend.

Prop
    Joey Conway - started at 1 for UL Bohs
    Stephen McGivern - bench for UCD
    Jordan Duggan - bench for Naas

Hooker
    Conor Maguire - started for Old Wesley
    Tadgh McElroy - bench for Lansdowne
    Mark O'Mara - bench for Young Munster
    Eoghan Maher - bench for Buccaneers

Lock
    Fineen Wycherley - bench for Young Munster
    Ronan Coffey - started at 4 for Shannon
    Sean Masterson - started at 5 for Corinthians
    Cillian Gallagher - bench for Corinthians

Backrow
    Paul Boyle - started at 8 for Lansdowne
    Gavin Coombes - started at 8 for Young Munster
    Caelan Doris - started at 8 for St. Marys
    Bailey Faloon - started at 8 for Garryowen
    Tom De Jongh - started at 7 for Old Belvo
    Jonny Guy - started at 6 for UCD

Scrumhalf
    James Lennon - started at 9 for UL Bohs
    Keith Kavanagh - started at 9 for Shannon
    Jack Stafford - bench for Shannon

Outhalf
    Alan Tynan - started at 10 for Young Munster, 2 cons
    Conor Fitzgerald - started at 10 for Shannon
    Conor Dean - started at 10 for St. Marys
    Ciaran Frawley - started at 10 for UCD, 2 cons, 1 pen
    Bill Johnston - bench for Garryowen

Centre
    Tommy O'Brien - started at 12 for UCD, 1 try.
    Dave McCarthy - started at 12 for Garrywowen, 1 try.
    Calvin Nash - started at 13 for Young Munster, 1 try.

Back Three
    Jordan Larmour - Started at 11 for St. Marys.
    Jack Kelly - started at 15 for DUFC.
    Colm Hogan - started at 11 for DUFC.
    Timmy Phelan - started at 15 for Dolphin
    Luke Carty - started 15 for Buccaneers

As according to irishrugby.ie, incomplete for all players as some teams not covered.

Neither Kelly or Hogan played for DUFC against Tarf. Hogan out for two months with a torn hamstring from the Con game. Kelly carrying a minor knee injury.

Yup Skehan isn't a bad coach IMO, also not sure why the structures are so bad looking at their academy players this week they had

Loughman, Porter and R Byrne with Leinster senior team.
    Ryan, Murphy, Connors, Timmins, McCarthy all injured.
    Jimmy O'Brien playing 7's.
    Not sure about Hugo Keenan.

Leaving them with Sean McNulty.

They have gone down the path of trying to attract the very top talent through scholarships etc which is great when they are available to you but with increased demand on all these representative players (and some unexpected injuries) it is backfiring a bit at he moment. There is still plenty of depth there and I'm sure Skehan will have learned a lot over the past few months so I think they will be okay.

UCD u20 side that lost narrowly to Lansdowne

15 Steven Kilgallen
    14 Robin Reidy
    13 Colm Mulcahy
    12 Tim Costigan
    11 Jack O’Shea
    10 Tim Foley
    9 Niall O’Neill
    1 Rory Mulvihill
    2 Matt O’Donovan
    3 Richie Mouatt (Capt)
    4 Jack Regan
    5 Conor O’Flynn
    6 David Pogatchnik
    7 Ben Murray
    8 Ronan Foley
    Replacements
    16 Alex Holmes
    17 Sam Griffin
    18 Evin Coyle
    19 Niall Marshall
    20 Alec Byrne
    21 Jack Ringrose
    22 Jamie Stone

Heard Lansdowne scrum destroyed UCD's.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Landowne seem to be the clear standouts at this point. Top three are the usual each year. What's the story with Navan? Surprised they are at this level. Some of the UCD lads told me they rattled them before eventually getting on top. Looks like two separate leagues in one. Does anyone know if there are All Ireland playoffs this year?

FR2 wrote: »
    Landowne seem to be the clear standouts at this point. Top three are the usual each year. What's the story with Navan? Surprised they are at this level. Some of the UCD lads told me they rattled them before eventually getting on top. Looks like two separate leagues in one. Does anyone know if there are All Ireland playoffs this year?
    Why are you surprised Navan are at this level? They've been very strong in youths rugby for numerous years, have had some strong teams playing schools rugby in Pats.
    Hard to know if there will be all Irelands. All depends on if competitions are finished in time and clubs agree on playing all Ireland at specific date... Leinster u20s is 20.5s while Munster is 20s

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Why are you surprised Navan are at this level? They've been very strong in youths rugby for numerous years, have had some strong teams playing schools rugby in Pats.
    Hard to know if there will be all Irelands. All depends on if competitions are finished in time and clubs agree on playing all Ireland at specific date... Leinster u20s is 20.5s while Munster is 20s

Munster have supposedly agreed to both Leinster & Connachts age for All Ireland to 20.5 so at the moment All Ireland goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

UCD u20 side that lost narrowly to Lansdowne

15 Steven Kilgallen
    14 Robin Reidy
    13 Colm Mulcahy
    12 Tim Costigan
    11 Jack O’Shea
    10 Tim Foley
    9 Niall O’Neill
    1 Rory Mulvihill
    2 Matt O’Donovan
    3 Richie Mouatt (Capt)
    4 Jack Regan
    5 Conor O’Flynn
    6 David Pogatchnik
    7 Ben Murray
    8 Ronan Foley
    Replacements
    16 Alex Holmes
    17 Sam Griffin
    18 Evin Coyle
    19 Niall Marshall
    20 Alec Byrne
    21 Jack Ringrose
    22 Jamie Stone

Heard Lansdowne scrum destroyed UCD's.

Actually incredible how every year Lansdowne 20's have the strongest pack around. Usually some well known players mixed in with a few country or unknowns and every year they churn out an unbelievable 8. Scrum and maul for them is just such a weapon.

He is a banker  to start at 12 for the Ireland 20s. But the whole structure  at UCD rugby is a shambles.  Skehan as head coach is a shocker and it's all prima donnas spending their time in Academies and not playing any matches.
    If the guys in academies are not playing then its hardly the UCD coaches fault?
    How is structure a shambles?

Saw Belvo and NUIG-Corinthians this afternoon in JP Fanagan Div2. Belvo won 28-25 but better side lost. Belvo not a great side.

Munster league has a few more games ahead of Christmas. UCC Beagles and Cork Con are leading the table but have played a few games more than others so things may change as teams catch up on games
    Apparently a lot of the OB guys have stopped playing because they're not in premier 1. Tom De Jongh is playing J1 instead of 20s but not sure if anyone else has done the same or if they are just fully stopped playing.
    For UCD it is live by the sword die by the sword. It's the down side of having loads of Academy and Sub Academy guys. Don't see it as their fault really.

There are forwards around if they look outside the system and if they bother to look at club rugby. Problem with set up now is that they don't look outside of the system often enough. People on this thread I am sure could find a decent pack with their knowledge. 2nd rows are the main problem front 3 and back row will be decent

Mouatt would be a concern from a Leinster point of view but the 2 Lansdowne lads McGrath & Mulhall are serious scrummagers I was at the UCD v Lansdowne game and they did indeed destroy UCD at one stage they marched them 5 meters down the pitch with UCDs front 3 in air!! It was if The Lansdowne pack were an SCT pack and UCD a JCT pack they were that dominant. I thought Dowling went well less impressed with Reagan but both coming back from injury. Saw Paul Boyle on the sidelines who I think is playing senior for Lansdowne. I also saw Frawley UCD 10 and under 20 on the sidelines but he played senior Saturday as well. Jordan Duggan is on the bench for Naas seniors so he cant be too bad either. I wouldn't know to much about the lads outside of Leinster but there are 3 decent ones so far hopefully the other 3 provinces have one or 2 each as well.

• Advertisement

Very few props play regular 1A rugby as an U'20 - In my opinion that is an unrealistic expectation and not a pre requisite for a strong Irish U20 pack.

None of last years props played 1A on a regular basis

Sorry forgot about Porter. Pretty sure Betts would have played less than half a season at best - at this stage last season I don't think he had played any AIL games. Unless I'm mistaken Conan O'Donnell didn't play 1A (Sligo?) and according to connacht rugby played 135 minutes of PRO 12 rugby last season.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Munster have supposedly agreed to both Leinster & Connachts age for All Ireland to 20.5 so at the moment All Ireland goes ahead.
    Interesting. Surprised they've done that. Really should make it equal for all leagues now. Provincial and all Ireland series.
    Apparently a lot of the OB guys have stopped playing because they're not in premier 1. Tom De Jongh is playing J1 instead of 20s but not sure if anyone else has done the same or if they are just fully stopped playing.
    For UCD it is live by the sword die by the sword. It's the down side of having loads of Academy and Sub Academy guys. Don't see it as their fault really.
    Shame to see load of guys not playing. And poor if club couldn't do more to get them playing at j1/2 and keep them in the sport

Don't know of anybody here knows about it but download "clubapp" onto your phone for teams quite a few clubs put up their 20's teams on match day.
    Are people thinking Dean, Frawley or that munster lad, forget his name bill something, at 10.
    Seems a few players that were playing age grade international rugby seem to have fallen away in this age group since leaving school. a real shame. Some good players too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

a real shame. Some good players too.

Has been happening since the dawn of time, not every underage player makes the step up. I know many schools players who quit at 22ish. Some became stalwarts of the AIL. The idea just because you played representative schools makes you invincible to dropping out or guaranteed to play pro needs to be nipped in the bud. Two of the most talented schools players (with a pro mindset) who captained St Mary's in the AIL never got a sniff of pro - Paul Nash (Leinster schools captain) and Philip Brophy(never played schools). I'd prefer some to drop out than clutter the academies. Certain players are clearly not good enough but get through while others never get selected ala Betts or say Copeland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts from serial re-reg removed. Apologies

dudara

Nift wrote: »
    Has been happening since the dawn of time, not every underage player makes the step up. I know many schools players who quit at 22ish. Some became stalwarts of the AIL. The idea just because you played representative schools makes you invincible to dropping out or guaranteed to play pro needs to be nipped in the bud. Two of the most talented schools players (with a pro mindset) who captained St Mary's in the AIL never got a sniff of pro - Paul Nash (Leinster schools captain) and Philip Brophy(never played schools). I'd prefer some to drop out than clutter the academies. Certain players are clearly not good enough but get through while others never get selected ala Betts or say Copeland.

I know what youre saying but I'd have thought most players would give 20's a go at least. Some arent even doing that, just quiting after school.
    You could add Hugh Hogan to that list.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Nift

I know what youre saying but I'd have thought most players would give 20's a go at least. Some arent even doing that, just quiting after school.
    You could add Hugh Hogan to that list.

True, i mean you don't want young guys quitting any underage rugby. Alot of young lads giving up from around 23, particularly if they don't make firsts. Hugh Hogan was a top operator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Apologies "The Lost Sheep" I didn't mean it to sound condescending, which when I read it it again it may have. I suppose its the fact they are heading a group of the next best outside of the top 3! There are some very strong traditional u20 sides trailing . I think its fantastic and more power to them. I've played with a lot of Navan lads in my time and they have produced some fine players. Are any of this group being looked at from an Irish u20 perspective?
    Great to hear the All Irelands are going ahead.

Advertisement