Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reinstatement of mandatory use?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

how much does DCC earn from on-street parking?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

how much does DCC earn from on-street parking?

A quick google gives this https://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0120/498896-parking-incomes-councils/which says €30m for Dublin in 2013... unlikely that they would give that up.

Edit Jep got in before me!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thats why the NTA need to take over the reigns from DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Galway City Council make about a 10% of this figure.
    Car parking is a big independent revenue stream for most Councils now.
    Good document from the Galway Cycling Campaign about this topic.
    "
    Addicted to cars; the role of car
    parking revenue for Irish local
    authorities and implications for
    state policy.
    Pre-Budget 2016 discussion document
    "
    http://www.galwaycycling.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/GCC_PreBudget2016_Submission_Discussion_Paper_Parking_Levy.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,835 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    I reported several patches of broken glass on the Grand Canal cycle path (clearly deliberately broken in the centre of the track in two places, near the Barge and further towards Rathmines, though I didn't say this) using this site

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-services-roads-and-traffic-road-maintenance-and-street-repair/repair-road-or-footpath

and it was swept away next time I passed.

I reported that broken glass about a week ago, but I swear that the remains of it were still there yesterday morning. The Barge and the hotel at Portobello have a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,760 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,133 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ooh, i can't wait for the howls of outrage.
    still, it'll be good for newstalk's share price.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,058 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Goddamnit, does this mean Shane is off the hook?

Screen_Shot_2017-11-22_at_07.45.12.png

https://twitter.com/Cyclistie/status/1030924825592823808

I *think* Ross has tidied up the SI.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Wonder how long it’ll take the RSA to update the ROTR.

i'm thick and i don't understand. this stipulates use in pedestrianised areas, and contra flow cycle tracks.

though i guess if the law is silent about cycling on a road, that means there's no restriction on it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

i'm thick and i don't understand. this stipulates use in pedestrianised areas, and contra flow cycle tracks.

though i guess if the law is silent about cycling on a road, that means there's no restriction on it.

It means mandatory use only applies in:
    1. pedestrianised areas with pedestrian street signs -- red circle, blank white centre
    2. contra flow cycle tracks in the contra-flow direction -- the wording of this is messed up, people cycling contra-flow can't see the sign they refer to and the sign isn't used in all examples of streets with contra-flow lanes.

monument wrote: »
    contra flow cycle tracks in the contra-flow direction -- the wording of this is messed up, people cycling contra-flow can't see the sign they refer to and the sign isn't used in all examples of streets with contra-flow lanes.

The direction is indicated by the cycle track itself in the wording. Does that improve things? I mean, the sign they mention is, I'm guessing from what you've said, to tell road users at the far end from the cyclist to expect cyclists, while the on-road or on-footpath markings tell the cyclist it's a cycle track and which direction to go in?

This is RUS 059?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc2.staticflickr.com%2F8%2F7019%2F6454591343_91786ea69a_b.jpg&f=1

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The direction is indicated by the cycle track itself in the wording. Does that improve things? I mean, the sign they mention is, I'm guessing from what you've said, to tell road users at the far end from the cyclist to expect cyclists, while the on-road or on-footpath markings tell the cyclist it's a cycle track and which direction to go in?
    This is RUS 059?

Yes, RUS 059:

RUS-059.jpg

If anything it might just say that people cycling who face RUS 059 should use the cycle track and should only use it in the direction of the cycle track. :pac:

Ha!

I think even if the new wording isn't 100% unambiguous, it's close enough. As should have been done from the start, it can be disambiguated using stated ministerial intent.

That's maybe a dangerous assumption, given we're 42 pp into a thread about the bleeding obvious already.

...it can be disambiguated using stated ministerial intent.

If anything, the Department, the DPP etc have argued against ministerial intent so much that they have invalided any arguments they might use on ministerial intent to say a cyclist was wrong for leaving a contra-flow cycle lane.

That's not to say I disagree with the use of ministerial intent -- it's to say that they would be using double standards to rely on it themselves without first admitting they were wrong about the 2012 SI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

• Advertisement

Funnily enough, despite what our learned friends in the FTA say, the situation hasn't really changed. It's just making clear what was always the case: Varadkar rescinded the mandatory use of most cycle tracks in 2012.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It means mandatory use only applies in:
    1. pedestrianised areas with pedestrian street signs -- red circle, blank white centre
    2. contra flow cycle tracks in the contra-flow direction -- the wording of this is messed up, people cycling contra-flow can't see the sign they refer to and the sign isn't used in all examples of streets with contra-flow lanes.

I presume the first point means you can't cycle in pedestrian areas? Just allowed through if there is a bike lane to allow passage. Seems like an odd point to make in writing as surely it is implicit as a vehicle they can't cycle there. Just wondering as it seems odd the need to clarify.

CramCycle wrote: »
    I presume the first point means you can't cycle in pedestrian areas? Just allowed through if there is a bike lane to allow passage. Seems like an odd point to make in writing as surely it is implicit as a vehicle they can't cycle there. Just wondering as it seems odd the need to clarify.

I'm drafting a comment article which covers this -- they seem to over think everything and that causes issues like these to start with.

But basically -- yes. A pedestrian street sign disallows all vehicles and a cycle track was put in and defined with white lines, that alone would restrict cycling to the cycle track.

My guess is somebody wanted to cover "pedestrian areas" as more than just pedestrian streets -- ie cycle tracks beside footpaths -- but somebody else when drafting the law put in the requirement for it to only apply when the pedestrian street sign is shown.

In otherwords, somebody thought by revoking mandatory use of cycle tracks would somehow allow cycling on footpaths or wider pedestrian areas which are legally footpaths. But this was nonsense, other laws disallow cycling in such areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

CramCycle wrote: »
    just wondering as it seems odd the need to clarify.

I would say somebody high up said "and make sure there is zero ambiguity this time, we don't want the same mess again", so they are spelling out the obvious.

rubadub wrote: »
    I would say somebody high up said "and make sure there is zero ambiguity this time, we don't want the same mess again", so they are spelling out the obvious.

No, pedestrian areas marked with the pedestrian street sign was also an exception in the regulations removing mandatory use in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Good to hear they have updated the regulation. The argument went that what it used to effectively say was:
    A pedal cycle shall be driven on a cycle track that is:
    {
        on a road, 
        a portion of a road, 
        or an area at  the  entrance  to  which  traffic  sign  number  RUS  021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided
    }

So, the first of the three options arguably made cycle tracks mandatory on all roads.

What it says now, is what was intended (unambiguously):
    {
        on a road, 
        a portion of a road, 
        or an area
    }
    at  the  entrance  to  which  traffic  sign  number  RUS  021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided

Now each of the three options only apply where the RUS 021 sign is placed.

plodder wrote: »
    Good to hear they have updated the regulation. The argument went that what it used to effectively say was:
    {
        on a road, 
        a portion of a road, 
        or an area at  the  entrance  to  which  traffic  sign  number  RUS  021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided
    }

So, the first of the three options arguably made cycle tracks mandatory on all roads.

If that was so, it would have been written as such, with each numbered:

(1) on a road,
    (2) a portion of a road, or
    (3) an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided.

That's why intent comes into reading the paragraph without a common like the one in bold and red here:
    a road, a portion of a road, or an area, at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021(pedestrianised street or area) is provided

Strange instead of a quick fix that intent was questioned, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

If that was so, it would have been written as such, with each numbered:

(1) on a road,
    (2) a portion of a road, or
    (3) an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided.

That's why intent comes into reading the paragraph without a common like the one in bold and red here:
    a road, a portion of a road, or an area, at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021(pedestrianised street or area) is provided

Strange instead of a quick fix that intent was questioned, isn't it?
    If that was intended, it would have been written that way, but I think everyone acknowledges it was a mistake. I'm not a lawyer, but I think there have been many cases of drafting errors, where the intent was one thing, but the written law ended up something different.

Here is how it was written:
    (4) A pedal cycle shall be driven on a cycle track where—
    (a) a cycle track is provided on a road, a portion of a road, or an area at the entrance to which traffic sign number RUS 021 (pedestrianised street or area) is provided, or
    (b) a cycle track is a contra-flow cycle track where traffic sign number RUS 059 is provided and pedal cycles shall only be driven in a contra-flow direction on such track.
    It was badly drafted. Maybe a comma after "an area" might have fixed it, but again I'm not certain about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭JMcL

This is RUS 059?
    ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fc2.staticflickr.com%2F8%2F7019%2F6454591343_91786ea69a_b.jpg&f=1

The photo is a fine example of inadequacy of enforcement - cycle track is blocked by 2 parked cars leaving contraflow cyclists no choice but to leave it or get off and walk around

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

JMcL wrote: »
    The photo is a fine example of inadequacy of enforcement - cycle track is blocked by 2 parked cars leaving contraflow cyclists no choice but to leave it or get off and walk around

Don’t think so, those cars are parked in marked spaces.

The contra-flow cycle lane is marked with red paint.

Advertisement