Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

imo, would have preferred the character to die and not be replaced, it would have left a real sense of loss for the last season

Chekhov's symbiote though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

khan's earworms? :eek:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,670 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've been re-watching many of favourite episodes the last week and appreciating just how well written this show was.

I haven't watched anything from the 7th season yet. I think the show lost something for me once the war started in season 6. I always thought the Dominion conflict should have remained a cold war in which there was never any outright hostilities between the Dominion and the Federation, just a series of increasingly tense encounters where you got the sense that a war would spell absolute destruction for everyone. However, maybe I'll feel differently this time.

Also early seasons don't get enough love. Second season is one of the best seasons of any Trek show IMO. All the seeds of what was to come were planted there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It takes some doing to trump TNG, but man does DS9 manage it. Hands down the best Star Trek show there is

Myrddin wrote: »
    It takes some doing to trump TNG, but man does DS9 manage it. Hands down the best Star Trek show there is

Agreed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I haven't watched anything from the 7th season yet. I think the show lost something for me once the war started in season 6. I always thought the Dominion conflict should have remained a cold war in which there was never any outright hostilities between the Dominion and the Federation, just a series of increasingly tense encounters where you got the sense that a war would spell absolute destruction for everyone. However, maybe I'll feel differently this time.

Im the opposite, Im glad the war happened in the show, it gave us a much darker side of the Federation, what they were willing to do to win the war, in some cases just as bad as the Dominion. Making shady deals with Section31, having spies in the top level of Romulan government, removing Romulan senators, tricking them into the war. A plan for genocide to exterminate the founders, etc.

Even some of the characters grew up during the war, like Doctor Bashir, lost his childish attitude in some ways and the war hardened him. O'Brien playing the role of solider again, and fighting Cardassions again. Sisko doing whatever was needed to win that war to stop Federation losses.

Also enjoyed the political changes and State of alpha quadrant powers after the war.

And cannot forget, the massive space battles were pretty cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I know it's not ST but Babylon 5 got really good as well. Maybe not quiet DS9 but not far off....once you got past season 1 and the continuous incidental music :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I know it's not ST but Babylon 5 got really good as well. Maybe not quiet DS9 but not far off....once you got past season 1 and the continuous incidental music :)

While I am an avowed Trekkie, I felt that B5 was a more real form of Sci-Fi than Trek and was all the better for it. We saw two men going for a pee for chrisakes :eek:!!! They even washed their hands :p!!!

decent story, dreadful acting by most of the regular actors, i did like Londo and G'kar though

Im the opposite, Im glad the war happened in the show, it gave us a much darker side of the Federation, what they were willing to do to win the war, in some cases just as bad as the Dominion. Making shady deals with Section31, having spies in the top level of Romulan government, removing Romulan senators, tricking them into the war. A plan for genocide to exterminate the founders, etc.

DS9 painted the picture of this Dark side of the Federation openly, but it was always there to be seen. The number of war crimes perpetrated by the 'heros' in each series is staggering.

Janeway and Picard both build WMD's, essential bio weapons, to target the Borg, Janeway uses hers to initiate what seems like the genocide of of the Borg (countless billions upon billions dead).

It's safe to assume that Janeway didn't end up in the Hague, as the next time we see her, she's been promoted to admiral for her hassle.

It's worth noting that Sisko actually goes rogue to stop the genocide of the Founders, a plan that Star Fleet and the Federation was 100% okay with. He does murder a foreign TD in order to drag a nation into a war though, so I'm not sure if he is even at that?

• Advertisement

DS9 painted the picture of this Dark side of the Federation openly, but it was always there to be seen. The number of war crimes perpetrated by the 'heros' in each series is staggering.

Janeway and Picard both build WMD's, essential bio weapons, to target the Borg, Janeway uses hers to initiate what seems like the genocide of of the Borg (countless billions upon billions dead).

It's safe to assume that Janeway didn't end up in the Hague, as the next time we see her, she's been promoted to admiral for her hassle.

It's worth noting that Sisko actually goes rogue to stop the genocide of the Founders, a plan that Star Fleet and the Federation was 100% okay with.

And so it begins...
    He does murder a foreign TD in order to drag a nation into a war though, so I'm not sure if he is even at that?

I must have watched a different cut of that episode. In the one I watched, Garak actually murdered the Romulan.

I must have watched a different cut of that episode. In the one I watched, Garak actually murdered the Romulan.

Common design

Common design

I suppose whatever plays into your agenda is good to go eh?

Wow...just wow :rolleyes: You're invoking 19th century case law to further your agenda about a 24th century fictional event? You'd have been better off sticking to the Nimbus III thing...jeez :o

Wow...just wow :rolleyes: You're invoking 19th century case law to further your agenda about a 24th century fictional event? You'd have been better off sticking to the Nimbus III thing...jeez :o

Hardly my fault that this type of thing is long settled law.

Hardly my fault that this type of thing is long settled law.

Well, I aint biting...I'll let someone else waste their time today :)

:)

Transporter room, One to beam up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭darklighter

I'm amazed when anyone tries to argue that it isnt......its the best by a country mile! (IMO obviously :))

• Advertisement

I'm amazed when anyone tries to argue that it isnt......its the best by a country mile! (IMO obviously :))

It's the only one that stands on it's own feet as a good tv show I think.

I'm very curious - how many people have reevaluated DS9 since having a rewatch?

I absolutely have. Have always had a special place in my heart for the series, but since watching it on Netflix, this has grown.

There's a crazy amount of ham, for sure -- the "other" Bashir from that alternative dimension, which has been revisited more times than is necessary, is an absolute horror to watch.

I'm very curious - how many people have reevaluated DS9 since having a rewatch?

I think the big thing with DS9 was that it introduced a new type of structure for TV shows.

Abandoning (somewhat) the villain of the week, episodic format that dominated television storytelling at the time was a huge move, and it changed television.

DS9 proved that audiences would watch a show that was to a degree inaccessible if you hadn't seen most of what had come before.

Without DS9 who knows, would there have been a Sopranos?

In this light, when you hold it up against what what it inspired, or allowed to be made, Sopranos, Madmen, Arrested Development, BSG,..... other shows that use the same background story-arc structure, I have to say it is nowhere near as good as them (and many other shows), they are all way way better than it. Better stories, better structure, better writing, better themes, better acting, basically better everything.

Nevertheless, DS9 definitely paved the way with the format and so it deserves very high regard.

I enjoyed B5, the civil war story was done very well, and the plots tied in well. It's just the special effects let it down so badly!!

I enjoyed B5, the civil war story was done very well, and the plots tied in well. It's just the special effects let it down so badly!!

Is it worth watching. Am I misremembering... Has Babylon 5 got some seriously dodgy alien make-up?

Is it worth watching. Am I misremembering... Has Babylon 5 got some seriously dodgy alien make-up?

The story is actually quite good, all comes together nicely. But yes, you need to ignore the special effects, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I think the big thing with DS9 was that it introduced a new type of structure for TV shows.

Abandoning (somewhat) the villain of the week, episodic format that dominated television storytelling at the time was a huge move, and it changed television.

DS9 proved that audiences would watch a show that was to a degree inaccessible if you hadn't seen most of what had come before.

Without DS9 who knows, would there have been a Sopranos?

In this light, when you hold it up against what what it inspired, or allowed to be made, Sopranos, Madmen, Arrested Development, BSG,..... other shows that use the same background story-arc structure, I have to say it is nowhere near as good as them (and many other shows), they are all way way better than it. Better stories, better structure, better writing, better themes, better acting, basically better everything.

Nevertheless, DS9 definitely paved the way with the format and so it deserves very high regard.

That's a bit of a leap. TV series had being doing serialized, multi-season arcs for years before DS9. More adult orientated shows regularly used long story arcs with villian-of-the-week storylines running in parallel. It did bring this to the mainstream of Sci-Fi shows though. And brought it to family-oriented programming.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

The over-arching story in B5 is one of the best ever seen on TV. Nuggets dropped into season 1 that dont pay off until Season 4, the build up of mythology from multiple different races, the reveals of how everything was connected. It really was amazing, the story was one of the best and the characters where well acted with history and real motivations for doing the wrong things for the right reasons. Id say its aged really badly now unfortunately, the CGI. But it was so well written with so many layers it might be forgivable if you can look past the effects. Some of the later space battles where great, the ship designs where fantastic. (at the time, havent watched it in over 10 years.) I loved it though mainly because the story was so layered and intertwined it was great.

The over-arching story in B5 is one of the best ever seen on TV. Nuggets dropped into season 1 that dont pay off until Season 4, the build up of mythology from multiple different races, the reveals of how everything was connect. It really was amazing, the story was one of the best and the characters where well acted with history and real motivations for doing the wrong things for the right reasons. Id say its aged really badly now unfortunately, the CGI. But it was so well written with so many layers it might be forgivable if you can look past the effects. Some of the later space battles where great, the ship designs where fantastic. (at the time, havent watched it in over 10 years.) I loved it though mainly because the story was so layered and intertwined it was great.

Groan. I'll add it to the list so.

• Advertisement

Groan. I'll add it to the list so.

Just be careful which order you watch it in. Lol

Advertisement