Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deep Space Nine Runthrough

Options
  • 12-07-2016 9:31am

Since DS9 has been added to Netflix Ireland, I've been making my through it from the very beginning, which I haven't done since their initial air date. I always sing its praise, but this rewatch has made me remember exactly why I enjoyed it.

As I mentioned in the Netflix thread, because it's not about exploration (as such) or many other things the other Treks are known for, and has a stationary position, it allows it to build up a much more character and story driven background.

The first and second season (which I've rewatched so far) make for interesting viewing - the rebuilding of Bajor, the problems that they face because of it, and already in those seasons there are so many fantastically emotional episodes with some great acting -
    The Cardasian that surgically altered his face, because he feels he should be punished for doing nothing
    especially stands out.

Anyone else rewatching this? What are your opinions for it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Watched it earlier in the year.

Some very likeable characters, and excellent story arcs.

The Dominion being the all encompassing one. The prophets, Politics and Religion on Bajor in turmoil. The Maquis divide sympathies in the Federation.

But the real attraction for me were characters like Garrak, Dukat, Quark, Weyoun, Martok, Zek, Brunt, Damar, and Kai Winn, who provided the catalysts for the main stars to really shine.

Best in show episode has to be 'In the Pale Moonlight' S6E19
    With some really notable ones for me all throughout the series such as

S1 - 'Battle lines'
    S2 - 'Rules of Acquisition'
    S3 - 'The Die is Cast'
    S4 - 'Way of the Warrior', and 'To the Death'
    S5 - 'The Ascent'
    S6 - 'In the Pale Moonlight', 'The Magnificent Ferengi' and 'Tears of the Prophets'

Fantastic show with very few episodes that i'd skip past to get to the meat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Just started a run through on Netflix myself. Interesting seeing how the characters are played in the early episodes compared to the later seasons...... Julian really fancies himself as a ladies man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I was halfway though a run on American netflix last year or so. Great that I was able to pick it up again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

But the real attraction for me were characters like Garrak, Dukat, Quark, Weyoun, Martok, Zek, Brunt, Damar, and Kai Winn, who provided the catalysts for the main stars to really shine.

Ah here. You can't list off all these characters and leave out the most effusive and ebullient of all inhabitants of the station ... Morn! :D:pac:biggrin.pngpacman.gifbiggrin.pngpacman.gifbiggrin.pngpacman.gif

I'll get my coat.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Ah here. You can't list off all these characters and leave out the most effusive and ebullient of all inhabitants of the station ... Morn! :D:pac:biggrin.pngpacman.gifbiggrin.pngpacman.gifbiggrin.pngpacman.gif

I'll get my coat.

I was going to mention him, but as he has no dialogue at all.. yeah :D
    Still for a guy that never spoke directly in the show he had a huge part in the series, 'who mourns for morn' was a decent episode too

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Just started a run through on Netflix myself. Interesting seeing how the characters are played in the early episodes compared to the later seasons...... Julian really fancies himself as a ladies man

I forgot how creepy the way he was with Dax in the first season (especially) actually was.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I finished a complete re-watch of DS9 there earlier this year on Netflix US - the Star Trek catalogue was one of the main reasons I bothered getting a VPN for Netflix US in the first place, so very happy it's now officially on the auld local Netflix, and seemingly not going anywhere soon with the recent news of Netflix getting first rights for the upcoming series outside of the US & Canada.

Anyway, DS9 is my personal favourite Trek series - it has its flaws like any of the Star Trek franchise, but the supporting characters and overall arc really make it something special.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I only rewatched the entire series a few years ago but it is easily the best of all the Star Trek series.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'd forgotten worf was in this show. I missed that big ugly head of his and the faces he pulls when he oversteps the mark and frightens everyone around him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The more I re-watch the show, the more impressed I am with it. It holds up very well.

• Advertisement

Watched it earlier in the year.

Some very likeable characters, and excellent story arcs.

The Dominion being the all encompassing one. The prophets, Politics and Religion on Bajor in turmoil. The Maquis divide sympathies in the Federation.

Best in show episode has to be 'In the Pale Moonlight' S6E19
    With some really notable ones for me all throughout the series such as

S1 - 'Battle lines'
    S2 - 'Rules of Acquisition'
    S3 - 'The Die is Cast'
    S4 - 'Way of the Warrior', and 'To the Death'
    S5 - 'The Ascent'
    S6 - 'In the Pale Moonlight', 'The Magnificent Ferengi' and 'Tears of the Prophets'

Fantastic show with very few episodes that i'd skip past to get to the meat.

How on earth did "The Visitor" not make your list?

didnt think it was the best episode of the season

didnt think it was the best episode of the season

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I love DS9. Favourite Trek series. Loved the complexity of the characters and storylines. Much more interesting than the simplistic morality of all the other series. Had a debate with an American fan recently who's favourite series was Voyager. Thought DS9 was worst - Thought it was slow and boring. Says all you need really. :)
    All the characters were great. Even Jake, the token Star Trek kid, and Vic Fontaine were great.

Also working through it again on Netflix. I'm just about 1/2 way through Season 4. Which is great- Loads more to go.

My favourite episodes up to now have been:

1: The Visitor (My all-time favourite episode)
    2: Little Green Men
    3: Our Man Bashir (Wow, all first 10 episodes of season 4)
    4: The Die is Cast
    5: Explorers

Still to come:
    Far Beyond The Stars (2nd favourite)
    In The Pale Moonlight (That monologue)
    Ezri Dax
    All of season 7

I'm now on Season 4 and what I find interesting is that the tone changes somewhat both before and after the introduction of the Dominion, who are still among the greatest villains in the Trek universe, in my opinion. The fact that the Founders can be absolutely anyone adds in such a fantastic sense of paranoia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I'm now on Season 4 and what I find interesting is that the tone changes somewhat both before and after the introduction of the Dominion, who are still among the greatest villains in the Trek universe, in my opinion. The fact that the Founders can be absolutely anyone adds in such a fantastic sense of paranoia.

Nearly as bad as werewolves ;)

Yeah plot really starts to go forward this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

Some of the best ST is over the second half of DS9 in my opinion.

Spoiler:
    I really like it because it give POV's to characters that are not 100% bought in to the Federation message.

Odo is a good character for this, when he is in stoic, detached observation mode. His lack of shock at the revelation that the Federation has a secret police force, more effective than the Obsidian Order, or the Tal Shiar, is a great scene.
    Odo:
    Personally, I find it hard to believe they wouldn't. Every other great power has a unit like Section 31. The Romulans have the Tal Shiar, the Cardassians had the Obsidian Order.....

One of my favourites in ST.

Quark too, he knows the score.
    Quark:
    Let me tell you something about Hew-mons, Nephew. They're a wonderful, friendly people, as long as their bellies are full and their holosuites are working. But take away their creature comforts, deprive them of food, sleep, sonic showers, put their lives in jeopardy over an extended period of time and those same friendly, intelligent, wonderful people... will become as nasty and as violent as the most bloodthirsty Klingon. You don't believe me? Look at those faces. Look in their eyes.

It shows that the future-eden of the Federation, is just that, an impossible dream, it is unattainable.

Some of the best ST is over the second half of DS9 in my opinion.

Spoiler:
    I really like it because it give POV's to characters that are not 100% bought in to the Federation message.

Odo is a good character for this, when he is in stoic, detached observation mode. His lack of shock at the revelation that the Federation has a secret police force, more effective than the Obsidian Order, or the Tal Shiar, is a great scene.

One of my favourites in ST.

Quark too, he knows the score.

It shows that the future-eden of the Federation, is just that, an impossible dream, it is unattainable.

Unobtainable for you who sees conspiracy everywhere.
    God I would hate to watch Star Trek through your eyes, it would be so depressing.

As usual you use extreme examples to justify your un-supported generalisations. Round and round you go

Hardly a conspiracy theory? Section 31 is a thing and it is shown to be deeply and heavily involved in protecting the day to day luxuries of Federation life
    As usual you use extreme examples to justify your un-supported generalisations.

Hardly.

Sisko and his entourage all know about the murders and other desperate crimes committed on what seems to be a regular enough basis by Section 31. We've seen news casts in Voyager, We've seen Jake Sisko writing for some sort of news corps. We've even seen the Doctor reach millions with his holonovel.

Sisko is a famous man. He's Eisenhower, Montgomery, MacArthur, Patton.

He surely has the ear of the press. If he truly found the sinister goings on that distasteful, he could blow the lid off the whole thing. But he doesn't. Because even in ST that eden like paradise is unattainable.
    God I would hate to watch Star Trek through your eyes, it would be so depressing.

Surely Utopian fiction is depressing by nature when you reference it to the real world we live in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I liked Esri .:)

• Advertisement

:)

People don't like Esri?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Hardly a conspiracy theory? Section 31 is a thing and it is shown to be deeply and heavily involved in protecting the day to day luxuries of Federation life

Yes, in complete and utter secrecy, unlike the others, because outside of very, very, select military circles, it wouldn't be tolerated by any civilian say. As for exposing Section 31, very difficult to do without looking like a complete loon and ultimately being ineffective anyway. They haven't been around for centuries because they're sloppy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

People don't like Esri?

Much preferred Jadzia :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Watching the Ep where Tom riker takes the defiant.

Whats his beef with the Chief?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Evade

Watching the Ep where Tom riker takes the defiant.

Whats his beef with the Chief?
    There isn't one. Tom knows that O'Brien knows Riker well enough that he might not be able to fool him so he acts like he (as Riker) is annoyed with O'Brien, possibly for leaving the Enterprise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Evade wrote: »
    There isn't one. Tom knows that O'Brien knows Riker well enough that he might not be able to fool him so he acts like he (as Riker) is annoyed with O'Brien, possibly for leaving the Enterprise.
    thats what i thought but thinking maybe there was something else

I'm thoroughly enjoying the episode, Rules of Engagement, where Worf is being investigated for the destruction of a civilian ship. It's an excellent way of telling the story.

People don't like Esri?

I think they tried to get a few seasons worth of Dax character development into that last season. By the end of it, i was just kind of left not caring so much what happened to Dax. I didn't care about her relationship with Worf and Bashir and aside from that she was a neurotic mess for a councilor - fair enough, it was understandable but it'd have taken a few more seasons imo to get used to her as a niner

• Advertisement

imo, would have preferred the character to die and not be replaced, it would have left a real sense of loss for the last season

Advertisement