Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Farlo1234 wrote: »
    Does this recruitment campaign cover the 360 over next 3 years being taken in or will they open up for more applicants next year does anybody know

Was wondering the same. I barely got through the first online test. Came 1500's. Put it to the back of my disappointed mind. But if they're calling ppl forward in groups of 600, I might still have a hope in hell of being called, maybe even next year??

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Harambe1

Just got a message about an interview date. Anybody else?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭CorkColin

Harambe1 wrote: »
    Just got a message about an interview date. Anybody else?

Yep :) Goodluck everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Ely o Carroll

User16 wrote: »
    Was wondering the same. I barely got through the first online test. Came 1500's. Put it to the back of my disappointed mind. But if they're calling ppl forward in groups of 600, I might still have a hope in hell of being called, maybe even next year??

I'm in similar position.Came in 1200's.In 2008 campaign,it got into high numbers on order of merit list so you might still have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭stripmymind

CorkColin wrote: »
    Yep :) Goodluck everyone :)

Yeah me too.
    Just for a bit o info, can anyone sell the job as a prison officer to me? Like tell me the great things about it.
    I'm just starting to worry that it won't be for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ryanm1234m

Yeah me too.
    Just for a bit o info, can anyone sell the job as a prison officer to me? Like tell me the great things about it.

No great things as such, very tough job. You are dealing with some dangerous people in a gloomy place. Great pay, benefits an pension are the core selling points. A lot of people enjoy their job as PO though, im sure it is really rewarding but ofcourse mentally draining and stressful. Id love to work in probation personally

ryanm1234m wrote: »
    No great things as such, very tough job. You are dealing with some dangerous people in a gloomy place. Great pay, benefits an pension are the core selling points. A lot of people enjoy their job as PO though, im sure it is really rewarding but ofcourse mentally draining and stressful. Id love to work in probation personally

I'm not fully educated to the point where I know how many hours u work or what even the pay and benefits are like. Benefits are rarely discussed as they vary but I assume they're good?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Star hurl

The prison officers on my Gaa team get off early for Matches ha there's one benefit 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

I've had contact with some po's. It's obviously a tough job and I have the same reservations as others. The pay at the start, renting/commuting to Dublin and the cost of it, the job itself, whether I want to work in that sort of environment, will it have a negative effect on me as a person, will I be happy in the job? All these questions are floating around my mind.

The po's I've spoken to have been really great and open. One thing that has been said to me is focus on the positives of the job, security, pension, opportunity to climb the ladder.

It's a big decision, no doubt about it. Best of luck to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

The ladder is broken bud. Tread carefully.

• Advertisement

Yeah me too.

If you want to know a bit about it I suggest you read 'Inside Man' by Philip Bray. It will be in your library and if not they can get it for you. An honest account of a Prison officer in Limerick Prison for 30 years up until 2008. He refers to the job as the velvet trap as in the money was too good to turn down when overtime and allowances were accounted for. Prison can be a violent place, it can also be a rewarding place to work. To some people it is just a job but others genuinely seem to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

I'm in similar position.Came in 1200's.In 2008 campaign,it got into high numbers on order of merit list so you might still have a chance.

Ooh really?? I'll keep my little candle lit so, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 doogie93

Did everyone get a message about interview day? I got the message saying I got threw to stage 3 and I submitted my Interview Form etc but haven't received anything since? Not even Form.B?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eldel1

Got date and time for Interview. On the Interview notification, at the bottom it says, "Please note that the Irish Prison Service will not require candidates to complete a Form B at this stage of the process."

I did receive an email from IPS to acknowledge receipt of my Interview form tho.

Yeahbi emailed to see what's happening? I got receipt email too for submitting Interview Form but haven't received Anything since.

Got the Interview notification on the 21st, looks like yours got lost in the post, you'll likely hear tomorrow. My interview isn't until the 22nd of nov, good while yet so I'm sure you won't be too short of notice.

eldel1 wrote: »
    Got the Interview notification on the 21st, looks like yours got lost in the post, you'll likely hear tomorrow. My interview isn't until the 22nd of nov, good while yet so I'm sure you won't be too short of notice.

Haha yeah its looking that way. I'm in the 200's position so maybe that's the hold up

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Spingill

Hi all,
    Congratulations to all who made it this far, just looking ahead to physical and have a couple of questions if anyone can help.
    Is it 600 or 800 metres (15m stints) in 3.30 minutes?
    Will we be running individually or in groups like in a beep test?

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

eldel1 wrote: »
    Got date and time for Interview. On the Interview notification, at the bottom it says, "Please note that the Irish Prison Service will not require candidates to complete a Form B at this stage of the process."

I did receive an email from IPS to acknowledge receipt of my Interview form tho.

were only emailed out the other day, at least when thats when i got mine

Anyone know when if we are successful throughout all stages .. When would we start?

• Advertisement

Anyone know when if we are successful throughout all stages .. When would we start?

I think they plan to hire 120 in january

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

The first group of new RPO's should start there training with a group off Paso's who are transferring across from the office to the landings, So it will be April/May before the first new RPO's will start training,

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jakenpo

On form B, it looks for all residential history and family. How do I make the table bigger to add more in.

Jakenpo wrote: »
    On form B, it looks for all residential history and family. How do I make the table bigger to add more in.

Anyone have an answer to this? Can't seem to edit the file or anything :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

CorkColin wrote: »
    Anyone have an answer to this? Can't seem to edit the file or anything :(

I've the same problem. I'll tackle it later and if I find a solution I'll post it.

This is a funny one but I presume everyone will be wearing a suit on the day?

brianp20 wrote: »
    I've the same problem. I'll tackle it later and if I find a solution I'll post it.

I hope so! actually just reminded me I need to get one !

brianp20 wrote: »

Yes, jesus its a government job interview.

Is there anyone on this thread who can explain roughly the pay for this position?

Ive mates who say "awh lad theyre on savage money! some job" but when i ask what kind of money it falls on deaf ears. Im not overly concerned about the money as this is a secure career but id still want to know. I see the pay scales on the website but hats basic pay id like an idea what a PO takes home on average every week / year.

And one other question for people who are in this campaign, the competencies we have to discuss in the interview (information handling, conscientiousness, directing others etc etc ) How many examples for each one do we have to give?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

Is there anyone on this thread who can explain roughly the pay for this position?

Ive mates who say "awh lad theyre on savage money! some job" but when i ask what kind of money it falls on deaf ears. Im not overly concerned about the money as this is a secure career but id still want to know. I see the pay scales on the website but hats basic pay id like an idea what a PO takes home on average every week / year.

And one other question for people who are in this campaign, the competencies we have to discuss in the interview (information handling, conscientiousness, directing others etc etc ) How many examples for each one do we have to give?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)
    less than 23k for first two or 3 years

• Advertisement

Does anybody know what the medical entails? I assume its bloods and a detailed run down of any medical conditions you have ever had.

Also what are the facilities like in the training college? Is there a gym there or anything?

Oh and is there a rent allowance for recruit prison officers? :rolleyes:

Advertisement