Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 eldel1

Do you think they will go to 120 from this panel, be it this or next year? I'm number 86 and since they called forward 78 wondering what my chances from here. Any advice welcome thanks!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 howarethings30

eldel1 wrote: »
    Do you think they will go to 120 from this panel, be it this or next year? I'm number 86 and since they called forward 78 wondering what my chances from here. Any advice welcome thanks!!

I don't know but I think the longer the wait goes on some people ahead of you will no longer have interest and you will move higher up the queue.
    It's just a pity if it's a case that training won't start early next year which is what was said when campaign was announced

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭sticky hurling

Will they run the medical and fitness while your being vetted or when you have been vetted?

Will they run the medical and fitness while your being vetted or when you have been vetted?

I don't know but just wondering do you or anyone know can they accommodate more than one class at a time in Portlaoise?
    Does one class have to finish training before another starts?

not sure 40 seems a very small number i do know that accomadation seems to be limited up there. I emailed them today telling them where i was on order of merit 35 and asked when the nxt stage will begin and they replied that they will be in contact soon regarding the online questionaire and then further information regarding the time frames for medical by a prison service nominated doctor and fitness test will be made available as soon as possible vague i know

• Advertisement

Cool thanks I get impression it's only one class at a time but if that wasn't the case they could get through panel quicker.Also maybe if someone's vetting comes back before someone higher in oom he/she could possibly start training before them..just speculation on my part.
    Also class size could be smaller than 40 hopefully not

I know that is the case in the guards alright they could do somthing like the guards did and put you up in digs to get the number through the 78 thing has confused me have they called 78 trying to get 40 i wonder?

I'd safely say all 78 won't end up training as with any panel for any job..lose interest,fail medical,vetting etc so I'm sure they know that they will end up with smaller number

yeah id say like they will hope to get a class of 40 from that like im sure theres def a good few in the running for jobs with the gaurds too and as you say lack of interest and other things i dont think they talk about it being this time nxt year is accurate because i think there are rules that campaigns cant run for longer than 12 months now im open to correction on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

not sure 40 seems a very small number i do know that accomadation seems to be limited up there. I emailed them today telling them where i was on order of merit 35 and asked when the nxt stage will begin and they replied that they will be in contact soon regarding the online questionaire and then further information regarding the time frames for medical by a prison service nominated doctor and fitness test will be made available as soon as possible vague i know

What's the online questionnaire about? Medical questions?

• Advertisement

its on the prison service website i think in presume like any health questionaire have you high bp any ops any conditions history of ilness..

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

Just reading a few off the above comments, Folks I felt my last few posts where clear but I guess not,
    As someone who currently works in the prison service and has a good idea off how it works I had decided to try and answer some questions in relation to time frame and class size, Some off the guess work on here does not help anyone in relation to start dates or anything else, It will be at the earliest late June or early July before anyone off this panel will start training in a class off at max 25 as this makes it easier for IPS to get a few things sorted for when you start in the Prison, as well as the will have several other courses taking place besides from the RPO's.
    You will not be given this information from IPS as the will not commit to a time frame until the have gotten your clearence and at that you will still have to do the GP medical a hearing test and then when you pass all that you will still have to past the physical, So there is still a bit to be done before you can start, As for anyone hoping to jump up the panel the only way you can move up the panel now is if someone a head off you drops out or fails at any point before your start date,
    So again for those who will start it is still a bit away,
    And I will see most off you when you get started, If I hear more from this side I will try and let you know, The only other advice I would give is try and get into see a prison or get talking to some that already do this job, the money may be ok but the work is not for everyone,

• Registered Users Posts: 6 hjghj

Hi all, thanks for all the info - it was quite a reading.

I quite sadden by the news from Golf_mad_6178 that won't start until July (and that means it's going to be September probably for me as I'm in the late 60s on the panel) - so I have quite a decision to make. I just passed my physical for AGS and probably will be asked to join in Templemore College in the February (eventually in May) - so I'll have to decide if I'm going to wait for RPO (with medical and physical test still to pass) or join Garda.

Personally, I would actually prefer to go with IPS but I might not be able to afford to wait that long - I hope that we will get more info after New Year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭newtothis23

Did anyone here get form to fill in regarding medical?
    I've heard some people on panel got them

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

Did anyone here get form to fill in regarding medical?
    I've heard some people on panel got them

Yeah I got one in the post on Thursday. Medicals have to done by the end of January.

Shane88 wrote: »
    Yeah I got one in the post on Thursday. Medicals have to done by the end of January.

Thanks I have sent you pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Kacoizew

Hi, can anyone tell me if you are in 140s is there still a chance you will get called at some stage? What do you think?? Be nice to end 2016 with some hope of this for next year.
    Thanks

I was placed number 35 and to be honest before the results came out if i was given 140 i would of taken it. It is just so difficult to tell there may be loads of drop outs compounded by people that fail fitness /medical but that is unknowable at this stage i think most people were under the impression that this campaign was for 360 over 3 years but others will tell you they will run a new campaign next year that is the way the garda campaign has been run over the last few years although granted your dealing with alot smaller numbers here but there are rules that campaigns cannot exceed a certain period of time.

If this forum is anything to go by plenty of drop outs it's so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭brianp20

If this forum is anything to go by plenty of drop outs it's so quiet.

Did you get notified for the medical yet?

• Advertisement

brianp20 wrote: »
    Did you get notified for the medical yet?

No I didn't have you?

No I didn't have you?

Yeah, I've to do a medical and an audiogram by the end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeccieDarcy

Do we have to pay for the medical? Or is it covered bt the ips?

Do we have to pay for the medical? Or is it covered bt the ips?

The medical is covered, the audiogram isn't from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

brianp20 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've to do a medical and an audiogram by the end of this month.

You've only 7 hours to get sorted!

wexfjord wrote: »
    You've only 7 hours to get sorted!

Haha I'm ahead of myself! The end of next month!

I know of someone in the mid 30s in panel who got called for medical.If there is anyone higher up in panel who got called for it and wouldnt mind letting me know thanks.Just want to get idea of what number they have got to in panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 MistyFruit12

I know of someone in the mid 30s in panel who got called for medical.If there is anyone higher up in panel who got called for it and wouldnt mind letting me know thanks.Just want to get idea of what number they have got to in panel.

I'm low 40's and haven't had any notifications to do medical, I presume we'll be in the next batch?

I'm low 40's and haven't had any notifications to do medical, I presume we'll be in the next batch?

Yeah I'm in 50s should be next batch whenever that will be..could be few months waiting I'd say.
    If a good few of those called to do medical don't respond or fail you could be called soon.
    I'm guessing the top 40 were called for medicals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 MistyFruit12

Yeah I'm in 50s should be next batch whenever that will be..could be few months waiting I'd say.
    If a good few of those called to medical don't respond or fail you could be called soon.

It's a waiting game alright, sure least it gives us a bit of time to lose the xmas weight before medical and physical 😂😂😂

Advertisement