Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prison Officer Recruitment 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BilbosBurgers

Hi guys,

Got an email to say i had reached the qualifying standard, I've been placed in the low 90s and they are taking 78 forward for consideration. I know there will be some dropouts and people fail fitness tests etc but what do you think are my chances of getting called up? Am i depending on 13 people not getting/taking the job or do yous think there will be another batch called up? Maybe nobody knows exactly, but having followed the thread yous seem to know a lot more than i do about it :)

Thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 30 howarethings30

Hi guys,

Got an email to say i had reached the qualifying standard, I've been placed in the low 90s and they are taking 78 forward for consideration. I know there will be some dropouts and people fail fitness tests etc but what do you think are my chances of getting called up? Am i depending on 13 people not getting/taking the job or do yous think there will be another batch called up? Maybe nobody knows exactly, but having followed the thread yous seem to know a lot more than i do about it :)

Thanks.

Hi
    Can I ask how do you know they are taking 78 forward for consideration?I have no doubt more than 78 will be called up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 BilbosBurgers

It said in the email "Initially those up to and including 78 on the order of merit are being sent forward to the IPS for consideration at stage 4.

I'm hoping they are going to call up more at a later date but i don't know.

It said in the email "Initially those up to and including 78 on the order of merit are being sent forward to the IPS for consideration at stage 4.

I'm hoping they are going to call up more at a later date but i don't know.

Oh thanks didn't say that in my message probably because I'm one of the 78.No doubt they will call up more they are looking for 120 a year for next 3 afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Gutted at that, went from top 60 from last round to 142, Utterly gutted

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 DarkerSerge

Gutted at that, went from top 60 from last round to 142, Utterly gutted
    Don't worry, I went from top 50 to failing the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

The official announcement said "up to 120". Does that mean the 78 going forward is the quota for this year? Just wondering as I know someone at 112 in merit. They were hoping this meant going forward later in the year, rather than, NOPE.
    Oh thanks didn't say that in my message probably because I'm one of the 78.No doubt they will call up more they are looking for 120 a year for next 3 afaik

percy212 wrote: »
    The official announcement said "up to 120". Does that mean the 78 going forward is the quota for this year? Just wondering as I know someone at 112 in merit. They were hoping this meant going forward later in the year, rather than, NOPE.

I don't know but I think more than 78 will be called next year.Its all guess work on my part but some of the 78 will choose not to go any further in the process,some could fail medical,physical etc.
    Maybe they picked 78 allowing for dropouts etc but I still think they will call closer to 120

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I don't know but I think more than 78 will be called next year.Its all guess work on my part but some of the 78 will choose not to go any further in the process,some could fail medical,physical etc.
    Maybe they picked 78 allowing for dropouts etc but I still think they will call closer to 120

you dont call a lower number to allow for drop outs

you dont call a lower number to allow for drop outs

What I meant by that is maybe they want 60 for first two classes so called 78.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Leemufc

Hi I went from 202 down to the low 120's so was delighted with that! Just wondering does anybody know will they be calling a second batch after the first 78? its just I was convinced they where taking on the 120 minimum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Harryhoofer

Don't worry, I went from top 50 to failing the lot!

I went from 130's to number 2! The system is a funny one!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeccieDarcy

So now the interviews r out of the way, can anyone categorically state roughly how much incl shift allowance and other allowances a recruit prison officer earns per week/ fortnight. It all hinges on this for me anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

I have no idea to be honest. I personally will be taking about a 10k drop and I'm leaving the civil service which is permanent and pensionable. Some have said I'm nuts but you have to be to survive this job. I think there will be a lot of drop outs. Reality kicks in now!

I can tell you from experience, there is no better feeling than handing in your notice to the poxy civil service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 DeccieDarcy

Sobi got on to prison service regarding exact pay and heres the reply.
    Thank you for your recent email regarding the payscale for recruit Prison Officers (RPO).

The starting salary of an RPO will be €22,677 per annum. New RPOs will attract an 8% operational allowance valued at approximately €1800 in year one. In addition, new RPOs will be paid for unsocial hours (Saturday and Sunday attendance) which we estimate will enhance their earnings by in excess of €3000 per annum. It should also be noted that any Additional Hours worked by RPOs will be paid at approximately 1.8 times basic salary.

It is also envisaged, subject to agreement with the Prison Officers' Association and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (DPER), that the rent allowance may be restored to new RPOs valued at approximately €4000 per annum.

Prison Officers are paid on a fortnightly basis.

I have attached below a copy of the current RPO pay scales for your information which you may find useful. Please let me know if you need anything

Thank you for your recent email regarding the payscale for recruit Prison Officers (RPO).

The starting salary of an RPO will be €22,677 per annum. New RPOs will attract an 8% operational allowance valued at approximately €1800 in year one. In addition, new RPOs will be paid for unsocial hours (Saturday and Sunday attendance) which we estimate will enhance their earnings by in excess of €3000 per annum. It should also be noted that any Additional Hours worked by RPOs will be paid at approximately 1.8 times basic salary.

It is also envisaged, subject to agreement with the Prison Officers' Association and the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (DPER), that the rent allowance may be restored to new RPOs valued at approximately €4000 per annum.

I have attached below a copy of the current RPO pay scales for your information which you may find useful. Please let me know if you need anything

Rent allowance may be restored!! At what point will we know? When we sign that dotted line. Current officers never lost rent allowance. But new officers might not get it! Two tiered pay system like teachers and Garda is just wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shane88

So all in that's not too bad really for the first year in a job.

Shane88 wrote: »
    So all in that's not too bad really for the first year in a job.

It's not bad at all provided we get rent allowance. It's grossly unfair if new entrants don't get it while current staff do.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Golf mad 6178

Word from the inside says the rent allowence will be in place for the currant PASO's who will be transferring across to RPO on the last Monday in March, So including the rent allowence you would start on just €30000, But saying that this does not inclue "Additional Hour" AH or over time in the real world, there are several bands of AH 0 Band 120 Band 240 Band or the 360 band,
    For anyone that does not know how these work its simple, when you are asigned your prison you can apply for an AH band, its up to the Governor/detail to asign staff to these bands to cover the over time, at the minute 70% of staff are on the 360 with 10% on each off the other bands,
    So saying you start on the 120 band that is worth around €2400 a year on top off your wages,
    The first new RPO's from this panel are due to start late June early July, so its still a bit away,

Word from the inside says the rent allowence will be in place for the currant PASO's who will be transferring across to RPO on the last Monday in March, So including the rent allowence you would start on just €30000, But saying that this does not inclue "Additional Hour" AH or over time in the real world, there are several bands of AH 0 Band 120 Band 240 Band or the 360 band,
    For anyone that does not know how these work its simple, when you are asigned your prison you can apply for an AH band, its up to the Governor/detail to asign staff to these bands to cover the over time, at the minute 70% of staff are on the 360 with 10% on each off the other bands,
    So saying you start on the 120 band that is worth around €2400 a year on top off your wages,
    The first new RPO's from this panel are due to start late June early July, so its still a bit away,

I spoke with an officer yesterday from the Prison Officer Association. Rent allowance has to be put to a vote by staff and agreed by Government. There is no guarantee it will come in yet. Hopefully we will know before we start. As not getting it is scandalous. Starting salary is about 32k if it's granted without overtime.

First class of RPOs when you say start in June/July does that mean the training or the actual placement in a prison? If it's placement it means we will actually start training at least 9 weeks prior to June/July.

• Advertisement

The new recuits will start training in June/July as there are currently 32 PASO's working in the prisons who are off the 2008 RPO panel, the will start training on the 27th of March to transfer across to RPO,
    The had a meeting last week and where told the only way the rent allowence will not be in place is if the POA vote against it and I would like to see how the POA would justify voting against something like that for there own officers,
    As for starting salary,
    Salary €22677
    Operation allowence €1800
    Unsocial hours 3000+
    Rent Allowence 4000
    €31477+
    On the rent allowence, it is also not 100% if it will be the €4000 or if it will be the same as the new agreement offered to the garda which is €4500,

If you get the 120 AH band that on this salary will be worth another €2415 240 band is worth €4830 and the €7245
    But there is no way of knowing what band you will get until you start and see what is available in what ever prison you end up been based in,

The new recuits will start training in June/July as there are currently 32 PASO's working in the prisons who are off the 2008 RPO panel, the will start training on the 27th of March to transfer across to RPO,
    The had a meeting last week and where told the only way the rent allowence will not be in place is if the POA vote against it and I would like to see how the POA would justify voting against something like that for there own officers,
    As for starting salary,
    Salary €22677
    Operation allowence €1800
    Unsocial hours 3000+
    Rent Allowence 4000
    €31477+
    On the rent allowence, it is also not 100% if it will be the €4000 or if it will be the same as the new agreement offered to the garda which is €4500,

If you get the 120 AH band that on this salary will be worth another €2415 240 band is worth €4830 and the €7245
    But there is no way of knowing what band you will get until you start and see what is available in what ever prison you end up been based in,

Thanks for the inside info mate.

So the 32 Paso's plus 78 being brought forward for consideration off recent panel as it said in email brings it to 120..

So the 32 Paso's plus 78 being brought forward for consideration off recent panel as it said in email brings it to 120..

How did you pass the maths!!! :) it's 110! Not allowing for drop out, failures etc.

Sorry yeah was just gonna post correction..just out of an interview is my excuse!

Sorry yeah was just gonna post correction..just out of an interview is my excuse!

Interview!! You've gotten the job of your dreams ;)

I will definetly take PO assuming I pass remaining stages just with pacos in before us could be a while waiting..I don't know what's the maximum they can train in Portlaoise at one time

The new RPO's from this panel are very unlikely to train with the new PASO's as the need to be in place to allow the 32 current PASO's to move across,

The normally train in classes off 25, so with the first group off the paso's going to RPO due to start at the end off March and the remaining 5 or 6 going to start at the end off June or the start off July with 19-20 off you guys that will be the first 50 new RPO's in,

Going by how long this all will take it will be early 2018 before the last off the first 120 start training,

The don't tell ya all that from the start,

So your looking at September or so before starting in a prison. The competition initially said new recruits starting early 2017. It's going to be very late 2017 now!! How far in advance will medical and physical be?

• Advertisement

You will be placed on a panel and then you will have to do a medical, once you pass it you will then be given a date for the phyical which again once you past that you are looking a few weeks before you will start training,
    Its not great but it is still a good bit off for most new recruits and part off the delay was with the garda vetting as the PASO's panel was help up by 8 weeks due to this,

Advertisement