Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes it’s at the pub. Best coffee in town! :)

Oh goodie, somewhere exotic to go to - (ref Kilmessan discussion earlier this week :-))

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Back of my right knee has been at me since my spin on Thursday. Between that an my numb left foot I'm a bit concerned about my current set up, I think shorter stem might help...

Might get out tomorrow but I'm still resting for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Managed blanch to Howth this morning, absolutely glorious out there. Really enjoying this whole cycling lark. Was only a month ago I was delighted to manage a 5km cycle!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Yes it’s at the pub. Best coffee in town! :)

Surely it's the only coffee in the town? Still good to know. I'll give them a shot next time I'm passing.

Did howth loop from (clockwise via Village side) myself today. Hundreds out, bikes and cars. Headed for malahide via portmarnock. Slow enough given the volume of cars but got there. At this point, my wife text me to say shed gone for a walk in portrane so my route changed. Went around the estuary, and got battered by the wind once on Hearse road.

Onto Portrane to meet the oh and eat some cookies I got in malahide (delicious, can't remember the restaurant name)

Home via Donabate and Balheary Avenue and rolled in for 80km in 3 hrs after a planned 50.

Lovely day for it, even with the wind and traffic. Only down point was Some knobhead shouted at a woman and child on the clontarf cycle path because he wouldn't be bothered to slow down. That's the kind of thing which gives people.pause to object to changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Luxman wrote: »
    Oh goodie, somewhere exotic to go to..
    Jesus, lockdown must have hit you hard if Oldtown is exotic! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

A morning that included a Zwift race then 2.5hrs on the road pushing the boundaries of county limits but it’s great not to be nervous of checkpoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

first cycle this year - with the shorts on ooooohh chilly, mickey shrivelled away to nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lots and lots of wardrobe-remorse suffering head-the-balls out and up the hills in shorts and summer jerseys. I had me leg warmers, arm warmers, long sleeved baselayer, jersey, summer jacket and snood on from early morning and not once in 5 hours did I consider casting 'er a clout! :)

Stunning light and sunshine and clear skies about though, the Wicklow mountain ranges beyond Sally gap looked absolutely stunning. If I was on hols (& 15 years old :D) I'd have been stopping every 5 minutes for Instagram snaps and updates!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

fryup wrote: »
    still chilly though

back from Dublin-Enniskerry-Glencree-and home, the wind was more south westerly so no getting frozen coming back into Dublin, lots of bikes out

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 24,575 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

first cycle this year - with the shorts on ooooohh chilly, mickey shrivelled away to nothing

We have a thread for cycling mickey if you need help

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

lovely day for it; occasionally felt overdressed in my long sleeves. everything else was summer wear.
    definite south easterly in NCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

breezy1985 wrote: »
    We have a thread for cycling mickey if you need help

that's Mikey not Mickey

that's Mikey not Mickey
    The original thread title was 'Cycling Mickey' before it was cruelly corrected by a mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

"At this point, my wife text me to say shed gone for a walk in portrane so my route changed.

Onto Portrane to meet the oh and eat some cookies I got in malahide (delicious, can't remember the restaurant name)

Home via Donabate and Balheary Avenue and rolled in for 80km in 3 hrs after a [/quote]

Just curious Weepsie..is the shed back from its walk , did you meet the shed in Portrane :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »
    Surely it's the only coffee in the town? .

Yes that was the joke. Only coffee in town, hence the best coffee in town. Oh and it’s Miriam’s coffee,not Shirley! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from home to Kilmuckridge and along the meandering draggy road to Blackwater, Curracloe, all into a headwind. Turned right for Castlebridge and left towards the Wexford Enniscorthy road. Oilgate, Enniscorthy, Ferns. Right turn for The Harrow, Boolavogue, Ballyedmund and home. Enjoyed the tailwind to Ferns, crosswinds from there to home.
    80 km avg 28.5kph 640 meters.

secman wrote: »
    ...Just curious Weepsie..is the shed back from its walk , did you meet the shed in Portrane :)
    I've been in Portrane all day and haven't seen any shed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

100km for me out through West Dublin and up to the exotic North of Garristown. I'm not sure if the relatively new Co. Meath signs are a threat or just a warning. Made good progress for the first 60km, headwind for 50km back home. It was great to be out, 12 weeks of TrainerRoad really paid off. It was the fastest 100km in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭this.lad

The original thread title was 'Cycling Mickey' before it was cruelly corrected by a mod.

I was looking forward to another 'Numb Cock ' type thread....

Got 60k in this morning with almost 900m of up. Lovely day, but cool, well layered up with skull cap etc but did wear the shorts.

Lots of bikes out around West Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭billyhead

Got 60km in around the lovely North County Dublin. Traffic was a lot busier than usual on a Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

started in Inchicore and went up by Glencullen and around by Enniskerry on the way back. Cracking day for it. 60km total with 700 up. After a winter on the trainer you forget how much harder similar climbs are in real life. Lots of cyclists about - prob seen in the region of 500 - 600 no exaggeration

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

started in Inchicore and went up by Glencullen and around by Enniskerry on the way back. Cracking day for it. 60km total with 700 up. After a winter on the trainer you forget how much harder similar climbs are in real life. Lots of cyclists about - prob seen in the region of 500 - 600 no exaggeration

I had to go to work in cork today, I don't know how many cyclists I passed. It was great to see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

billyhead wrote: »
    Got 60km in around the lovely North County Dublin. Traffic was a lot busier than usual on a Saturday.
    we probably should arrange a boards NCD meetup when regulations allow.

Regret not going out this morning as it was certainly warmer and wasn't at all windy. This evening I headed for Clogherhead via Baltray and Termonfekin and on over towards Grangebellew and back to Drogheda. I'd love to tell you how far that was exactly and how long it took me but I forgot my phone and realised I hadn't started the Wahoo in Termonfeckin :rolleyes:

It's about 40km I'd say from memory of riding that route ages ago.

I was glad I brought the jacket as it was nippy enough along the river and sections of coast I was passing.

Usual mind wandering in places had me thinking I can't remember the name of this townland or that one or if I even knew it in the first place so reminds me to look them up.

i've learned more from irish townland names from strava in the last few years than i'd ever known.

plus, a sense of uncertainty about whether the name i know an area by is the actual name, or the name someone flippantly gave it on strava.

Theres one I've learned according to google maps is called Queensborough, it's a very unusual collection of houses on the Boyne about 4km out of Drogheda that I'd have called something else all my life.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.7269333,-6.2846785,3a,75y,75.38h,81.04t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1skUI2jWxnkTvW-zgWV6abgg!2e0!6shttps:%2F%2Fstreetviewpixels-pa.googleapis.com%2Fv1%2Fthumbnail%3Fpanoid%3DkUI2jWxnkTvW-zgWV6abgg%26cb_client%3Dmaps_sv.tactile.gps%26w%3D203%26h%3D100%26yaw%3D100.09275%26pitch%3D0%26thumbfov%3D100!7i16384!8i8192

I'd have known that whole area as Beaulieu after the estate down the road all my life.

Still love passing these every time I'm out that way.

i haven't been there in months (it's too far into meath for me to reach) but i must dig out the etymology of cromwell's bush crossroads. itis directly south of bellewstown, probably 2km from it.
    also, the source of 'bonfire bank' in bellewstown.

I'd have known that whole area as Beaulieu after the estate down the road all my life.
    well, beaulieu means 'beautiful or scenic place' in french.

Have you got that one on the map , new one on me. Bellewstown one.

• Advertisement

well, beaulieu means 'beautiful or scenic place' in french.

Yeah the house in question would have had a lovely view of the river.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement