Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ozzy jr

Cycled around Phoenix Park today. I like the new cycle path layout. I’m guessing it’s only a temporary change and we’ll be back to walkers in the cycle paths soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

when did strava start putting slight formal sounding locations on cycles?
    e.g. 'The Municipal District of Celbridge'; 'The Municipal District of Ashbourne' etc

About 2 months ago from memory if not more ? Apparently to save us time checking where the spin is at a glance.

Commute from work to meet a buddy, about 6km in total to get out of heavy traffic on to open back roads, out by Newcastle, Lords rd, Boston hill, Kilteel, Rathcoole Saggart and home. 53 kms 26.5kph with 400 meters. Met a couple of boardsies Jim Jim and his buddy Brian.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

secman wrote: »
    About 2 months ago from memory if not more ? Apparently to save us time checking where the spin is at a glance.
    ...because the maps are confusing? :confused:

...because the maps are confusing? :confused:

Probably for yanks mainly :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭vintcerf

55km this evening. how steep is the Howth climb? curious if i'd manage as a newbie. also those averaging +25km how do you do it!?
    Screenshot-2021-04-15-at-21-33-15.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

vintcerf wrote: »
    55km this evening. how steep is the Howth climb? curious if i'd manage as a newbie. also those averaging +25km how do you do it!?
    Screenshot-2021-04-15-at-21-33-15.png
    My sister, who would be a sonewhat unfit newbie cyclist, did Howth recently. Start off by going up and down via the graveyard and take your time. No doubt a few riders will pass you but remember that it won't be their first time.

As for your question of 25km - are you referring to average speed or distance? Either way it will depend on the bike you're on (mountain bike or hybrid or road bike) and also what your fitness level is like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are two main ways of approaching the summit; from howth village is shorter and thus steeper, but is one continuous unbroken climb.
    it's what i call an 'honest' hill, in that the steepest section is near the bottom; it doesn't surprise you with any steep ramps near the top when you're beginning to tire.

the option Seth mentioned is easier - longer and thus a shallower climb, plus it's actually about four climbs stitched together. if there's a typical south westerly, you will have it at your back for the second half too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

vintcerf wrote: »
    those averaging +25km how do you do it!?
    ]

E-bikes! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Did roughly 38km tonight, spun out from Tallaght to Clontarf to grab some dinner. My brother in law had a new pop up burger place opening tonight.
    My plan was to spin up Howth Hill but I got closer and had to turn around to meet the rest of the family, herself was waiting for me with a jacket, wooly hat and a pair of jogger. :)

Had a pain in the ass stopping at lights, I had forgotten what that's like and how badly it kills your stride. Also had my left foot going quite numb towards the end of my ride which is not great. Had some time out of the saddle which helped.

Forgot to start Strava when I started my spin and when I got going again after dinner, hence my trip across Dublin Bay. :pac:

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/cWoHIJq9tfb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Existing Strava segments are predominately short and some of them ridiculously so. Where you will find longer ones is on the big climbs like the Wicklow Gap or Slieve Maan. It's unlikely that there is a segment say from Dundrum to Enniskerry as there are a number of traffic lights in between and it would be a bit of a lottery to get them all green when trying for a KoM.
    There are some very long ones out there. Rode through this 106km one while doing Mizen to Malin a few years ago.

https://www.strava.com/segments/12305096

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there are some savage times set on it (and it doesn't strike me as a segment where you'd have many 'i forgot to turn off the GPS before loading my bike on the back of the car' moments)

there are some savage times set on it (and it doesn't strike me as a segment where you'd have many 'i forgot to turn off the GPS before loading my bike on the back of the car' moments)
    Presumably most of the top of the leaderboard are races - similar dates.

yeah, i assumed so. stage of the ras? or a competitive mizen to malin?

yeah, i assumed so. stage of the ras? or a competitive mizen to malin?
    Actually on reading the few that have comments, it was a charity cycle. Must have had a savage tail wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Met up with WA this morning to do a South Dublin Border ride clockwise from the Toll Bridge. After following the coast to the outskirts of Bray, we headed up to the Lead Mines and on to Johnnie Fox's for coffee and fairly meagre fare. Onwards to the Military Road before both of us set new PB speeds dropping down Cunard. On the way back up Allagour, I unfortunately recalled some debate a few weeks back on these pages about a little known climb and we both turned left up what Strava calls Glassavullaun Lane. Half way up it occurred to me that three and a half months of the Phoenix Park wasn't the best preparation for taking on a hill that touched 20% but somehow we both made the top.
    A second pitstop at the Blue Gardenia in Brittas fuelled the climb up McDonagh's Lane before we dropped down to Athgoe, over by the Canal to Hazelhatch Bridge and into Lucan via Tubber Lane. The final leg back to Drumcondra by Lutrellstown and Porterstown was probably the least enjoyable stretch with a lot of traffic and a bit of a headwind and the Strawberry Beds would probably have been a better choice.
    Overall about 110km with 1540m. Great to be back doing challenging spins in good company.

Hi Mercian

As matter of interest how did you rate the coffee shop at Blue Gardenia, we would never stop there, too soon after start and the Gallop home starts there :) just curious as it seems popular enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Actually on reading the few that have comments, it was a charity cycle. Must have had a savage tail wind.

Due west at about 30km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Drove to Oranmore as I was meeting my wife afterwards in Oranmore. I headed out past Galway Bay golf course and over to Twain island. I love how just a few mins past Oranmore it's like the middle of nowhere (once you're not on the main road). I always enjoy cycling new routes that don't have much traffic.

On my way back got a puncture, second in a week but at least it was the front tyre this time. If it was the rear again I'd be sure that the TT had worn it and consider replacing it. At least I got to use my new bike pump and was happy with it (last time phoned home as didn't have spare tube with me.)

Strava link

secman wrote: »
    Hi Mercian

As matter of interest how did you rate the coffee shop at Blue Gardenia, we would never stop there, too soon after start and the Gallop home starts there :) just curious as it seems popular enough
    I know you addressed the question to MP but I throw in my 2c worth. It's fairly basic - just a very small selection of cakes/choc bars. No sandwiches or anything savory. I don't really like it but there are no shops/filling stations or anything else on the long stretch from Kilternan to Lucan or vice versa when doing the south county boundary loop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got changed this morning for a quick spin, and then just changed my mind. Good thing too. Got lots done at home, can go out longer tomorrow and Sunday morning. Rest day something something.

Also, noticed Oldtown now has a coffeshop I think. A sign for "Miriam's Cafe" was spotted as I was passing through, presume it's in the pub while they are trying to do some business the last year, but I'll give them a go maybe in the next few weeks. I tend to hit there just as the legs are fed up, so natural place to stop before the last relatively small leg home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Weepsie wrote: »
    Got changed this morning for a quick spin, and then just changed my mind. Good thing too. Got lots done at home, can go out longer tomorrow and Sunday morning. Rest day something something.

Reverse for me, got out for the last couple of days at lunch as the weekend is looking a bit busy. In a good way, but not for cycling. Bohernabreena reservoirs and some of the surrounding roads yesterday and up to Foxes via the Blue light today. Loving the new 32c gravel king slicks, hit 65kph on the pine forest descent without even noticing it. Behaved pretty well off road over the week as well. The drop in width from the 42c G-ones at 30psi to 32c at 40psi helps on the road and seems grand (so far!) on the gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,311 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Took a day off, to have me time.

90km today. Longest in a long time. Killiney out around Malahide estuary and back. Tough headwind half the time. Really struggled the last 20km.

Great new cycle path between Baldoyle and Portmarnock.

https://strava.app.link/Z8FEFmgEvfb

Heres to lots more sunny days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Been doing mostly 20-25k with max 500m elevation cycles the last couple of months. Decided to push it out further today and did 45k 800m elevation up to Sally Gap and back via Ballinascorney. I made it but had to stop on a few of the climbs. Legs quite sore now as well.

Snuck out this evening. 10 minutes in and a close pass from a truck on a quiet country road. Truck went for it on a blind corner going uphill, but couldn't get going and of course a car came around the corner and I got to enjoy the foot of space to the ditch. Horrible experience and the driver got a barrage of abuse and hand gestures from me.

Anyway, mostly loving the evening spins. 50k with 500 up @ 31.5kph. Took a minute off my PB for my go-to fitness check - a 5k uphill drag. All the hills during the lockdown are paying off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

dinneenp wrote: »

On my way back got a puncture, second in a week but at least it was the front tyre this time. If it was the rear again I'd be sure that the TT had worn it and consider replacing it. At least I got to use my new bike pump and was happy with it (last time phoned home as didn't have spare tube with me.)

here get a bottle of this

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

oh baby, get out there today, looks idyllic , Enniskerry and Glencree awaits me!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

still chilly though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,571 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Been doing mostly 20-25k with max 500m elevation cycles the last couple of months. Decided to push it out further today and did 45k 800m elevation up to Sally Gap and back via Ballinascorney. I made it but had to stop on a few of the climbs. Legs quite sore now as well.

I done my first 40k+ cycle of the year on Monday and took in 375m elevation which would be double for me and was really feeling it after too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Weepsie wrote: »

Also, noticed Oldtown now has a coffeshop I think. A sign for "Miriam's Cafe" was spotted as I was passing through, presume it's in the pub while they are trying to do some business the last year, but I'll give them a go maybe in the next few weeks. I tend to hit there just as the legs are fed up, so natural place to stop before the last relatively small leg home.

Yes it’s at the pub. Best coffee in town! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement