Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Had planned on a trip into some of the Dublin and Wicklow hills but in and out of work meetings all day and I've a builder planning on popping over to quote for a job on his way home this evening. Looks like I'll be staying relatively close to home today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Tick Tick Tick .... :D

I was watching "Cheers" last night and there was a character called Sy Flembeck in it! I kept wondering - where have I heard that name before:confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i only recently copped Seth Brundle's name.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Got caught up in work today longer than I planned, hoped to be in and out and take a detour via Howth. The delay saw me turn off the cycleway and just head for home. I'm in now 30 mins I'm glad I did as there was an absolute torrent of rain just in the last few mins that I was definitely getting caught in otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i got lucky - i have to pop down to a plumbing supply place, hopped on the bike assuming the forecast was dry for the evening, and it just started to spit as i was pulling the bike out of the garage. i'd have been drowned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

75km spin, rain or cold didn't bother me at all this evening as I just really enjoyed getting back out. Some roads still crap surface and some with new surface, also a new bridge now crossing over one of the back roads so it was great to see how the seemingly never changing landscape does actually change over time!

I think I now am going to have withdrawal symptoms from not having to stop at traffic lights or a junction every few km.

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

I was watching "Cheers" last night and there was a character called Sy Flembeck in it! I kept wondering - where have I heard that name before:confused:

Correct! You did indeed hear it on 'C-H-E-R-S' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,915 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Took the day off and cycled out to Howth with a friend. Did a small detour to check out the new Portmarnock to Baldoyle cycleway (really nice though I hope there are extensions to better link it up with other cycleways).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

yeah, it's a bit abrupt at either end - especially the portmarnock end.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Ditched work an hour early to do my first long spin in a ages.

I've been doing a lot of short spins recently and started off today in short spin mode
    I knew I was pushing too hard but for some reason convinced myself it'd be grand

50km done and 50km to go and I was feeling it, 106km in total, knackered and in pain
    for the second half. If I was still stuck inside the 5km radius I'd given up 30km earlier.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Sun was shining as I woke up. Breakfast espresso and out the door. Headed for Howth via the Clontarf path. Forgot how much I hated Griffith avenue, though it wasn't too bad today. Got up Howth to the Summit in a respectable time considering I've not seen a proper hill of any note in sometime. Came back down that side too but via a few other roads. The going down was trickier, as the 5km kind of made the brain switch off a bit on roads that were often flat and empty. Straight back home for a quick 38 km and nice to see the sea again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I took the day off as its my sons birthday, but as he's in school I treated myself to a spin outside the old 5km limit. Plan was initially to head for Howth, but had to be in Oldtown for 11.30 so I didn't think I'd have enough time for that. I must have unconsciously missing work as I found myself doing a lap of the airport...
    Got a bit lost going some back roads that I haven't been on in months, but found my way in the end. Needed to stop for a comfort break, but made it only 5 mins later than planned.
    First coffee stop I've had on a spin in ages and met a few other lads to ride with for a short time after.
    Best spin in ages.

102km @ 28.5kmh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just a quick spin into town for a socially distant coffee with a colleague, traffic was mad though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Took a bit of time off this morning and snuck up to the Sally Gap for the first time in what feels like a very long time. Forgotten how much I enjoy cycling along the Military road and it felt like getting reacquainted with an old friend. A bit breezy on the way back but great conditions for the time of year. 50k with 860m of up all in, smiling all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Just a quick spin into town for a socially distant coffee with a colleague, traffic was mad though.

Traffic has been crap since the restrictions got extended back in March. Overnight people decided to stop caring. For weeks I've been seeing people leaving parks in Lucan and driving home to Blanch, absolutely unnecessary. Considering retail and non essential businesses are closed, most click and collect is limited and a huge number of the population are working from home there was far too many cars on the roads.

I've found traffic heavy enough for the last two months to be fair so not expecting a huge change now.

we popped out to howth (in the car) yesterday evening for fish'n'chips, and a takeaway pint for my wife.
    the traffic was insanely light. we left at about half five.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Went out along the Royal Canal to to Johnstown Bridge and on to Carbury, Lullymore, Rathangan and Monasterevin. Came back via Kildare, Newbridge and Naas. Bang on 120km for the day. That's the longest ride in months for me. Don't feel too bad, though the McDonalds in Newbridge may have helped!

Just glad to be out there today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Got to the edge of my 5km and turned right instead of left :eek:

Saw the sea (and the Liffey, and the Phoenix Park...) for the first time since September. The sun was shining making me slightly overdressed for the stop/start nature of traffic in town.

The Clontarf track was busier than O'Connell St. and the quays. Lots of people out walking and cycling, felt more like a Sunday than a Tuesday. Someone took a tow from the causeway and then reciprocated from Clontarf until we parted ways at Alfie Byrne Rd.

Nearly squeezed by a car and then immediately by a bus on Wood Quay for some reason. Waved through a checkpoint outside Guinness' (first I've seen since before Christmas) before heading home through the park.

Only a leisurely 60km, but ~20km more than I've been doing so far this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

rode the northern part of the K200 cw. lumpy sections(and bad surfaces!) from Kill to Kilcullen, then short cutted across the Curragh to Rathangan , Lullymore etc. ok til Johnstown bridge but then felt crap and very cold (just me ? today). had intended to do the full 200 but alarm malfunctioned (just as well methinks) so settled for the top part.

160Km @ 28.5

did i meet/pass velo2010? seemed we had some similar sections

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

devonp wrote: »
    rode the northern part of the K200 cw. lumpy sections(and bad surfaces!) from Kill to Kilcullen, then short cutted across the Curragh to Rathangan , Lullymore etc. ok til Johnstown bridge but then felt crap and very cold (just me ? today). had intended to do the full 200 but alarm malfunctioned (just as well methinks) so settled for the top part.

160Km @ 28.5

Quite possible, though I didn't notice too many out and about on those roads today. Most roads were pretty decent (apart from a bad section near Lullymore) with plenty of newly laid surfaces. Obviously, Kildare CC kept themselves pretty busy over the last few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Took advantage of the new limits this afternoon with a nice loop from South Dublin up to Glencullen. Sally Gap also just within my 20km so will give that a go at the weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭cletus

devonp wrote: »

160Km @ 28.5

Through my homeplace. Is there a link to a map of the route, by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭devonp

here's the full kildare 200 starting in Celbridge, its not designed by me but by a noted Audaxer, think it might be an official AI route now. i did the full one last yr acw in good summer weather, this way there's a real sting in the tail with the lumpy stuff at the end :)

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/32969994

and heres my shorter route from today

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/35689274

First of (hopefully) many evening spins this year. Beautiful weather here in Cork and a great feeling to be out. 42k @ 31kph with 500 up. Amazing how much faster you can go by shedding the winter gear and riding in warm weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭secman

First proper hill spin in over 6 months, i was following so not overly familiar with first section, but it is tge Kellystown loop and then Cruagh to viewing point and on up to the Cunard turn, down Cunard and home. 40 km and 670 meters, picked up a few pb, 2nds and 3rds which really surprised me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

Aimed to go up to pine forest/Johnny foxes, but after Gunny hill and mount venus road, I looked left and realised I'd left my climbing legs at home. :D

Got to do 50km at 26kph, absolutely glorious day for it, shorts and Jersey weather. I'll look forward to trying again later in the week, just today I hadnt the physical, or mental strength to climb.

https://strava.app.link/cl8tnSOLqfb

just 51km around NCD. definitely can tell the dropoff in fitness, it was nearly twice as long as the spins i've been doing for the last three and a half months.
    if i had a camera, i'd have caught three actionable stunts within five or ten minutes, two of which were lunatic HGV drivers northbound on the garristown road (presumably headed for sam dennigans) - one missed me by about a foot, the second overtook me into a blind bend. if he'd had more than 100m visibility of the oncoming lane at one point, i'd have been surprised.

i also had to locate a horse wrangler; i happened on a loose horse on the road near ballyboughal. the horse was as chill as ****, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭positron

^^^ Sounds like everything is going to back how it were! Not good!

My 60k ride to north of Drogheda was much better compared to that. Reasonably empty roads and no close passes. Beautiful evening to be out on the bike, strong evening sun lighting up the countryside against dark sky and silhouette of mountains in the distance, not too windy or too cold or too warm. One of those rides that's good for body, mind and spirit.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭strmin

First time evening spin in Wicklow mountains. Surreal experience. Never felt more isolated on a bike. Not a soul in sight around Sally Gap. Completely empty road near Guinness lake made me think about zombies eating all tourists.
    Very cold but very enjoyable spin. 68km with 1340m of elevation gain at 25km/h. Still on heavy winter bike so happy with that. Fitness is slowly coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Went Deansgrange > Johnny foxes > Cruagh > Glencree > Enniskerry and home via Rathmichael yesterday.
    Hadn't been up there for months. The surface on the road going up past Cruagh was poor. Looks like most of the tarmac has gone. Not much of an issue going up but fairly bumpy coming down at speed I would think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement