Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

a148pro wrote: »
    ...Easily the hardest hill in Dublin. You know you're in trouble whenever you see a grit box.....
    I'd say Horan's lane (Kilinarden, Tallaght)is tougher. I haven't done it in many years but I recall having to do the walk of shame on it whereas I don't feel the need to put a foot down on Kilmashogue Lane. (That said, it's a lot shorter).

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Anyone got a strava link to where kilmashogue is? I'd like to check it out

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

horan's lane - hadn't heard of it before now:
    https://www.strava.com/segments/4504575

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭S_D

Nice, looks good, will give that a whirl! Seems similar is to Slaughter hill or Devils glen in Wicklow which are both great climbs!

• Advertisement

the main issue i had with kilmashogue, as mentioned above,is that the steepest section is near the top - it reaches over 20%, if that strava link is to be believed - when you've already busted several guts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Plastik wrote: »
    Ah c'mon FB, get that sorted. I did an 45min no-handed the other day followed by some out of the saddle spin ups. It's all in your miiiiind.

I wonder do I have the rollers set up wrong... I have nothing whatsoever like the stability that would allow such things

My bike pops over the top very easily, I often wondered if I should extend the rollers out a notch so that the front cylinder is a nadge further ahead? But it's supposed to be in line with the front hub isn't it?

The obvious alternative of course is that the rollers are set up perfectly and I'm just sh1t at them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭cletus

fat bloke wrote: »
    I wonder do I have the rollers set up wrong... I have nothing whatsoever like the stability that would allow such things

My bike pops over the top very easily, I often wondered if I should extend the rollers out a notch so that the front cylinder is a nadge further ahead? But it's supposed to be in line with the front hub isn't it?

The obvious alternative of course is that the rollers are set up perfectly and I'm just sh1t at them

Looks like you should nudge that barrel forward a bit FB

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowledge/skills/sportives-ridesmart/article/izn20141126-How-to-ride-the-rollers-0

cletus wrote: »

Adam_wheel_axle_shot.crop.jpg

Hey look at that. Mine are definitely wrong. That arrow on my wheel is directly in line with the roller centre.
    I've still been able to do reasonably high gear high cadence stuff as is so my pedalling must be pretty smooth. But at high rpm, like over 100 the bike is trying to surge over the top no matter how smooth you try to be.

I'll change and report back, cheers for that!

So I moved the front barrel fwd one notch, tried it and the forks were still pretty central to the barrel and nothing like the pic above. Moved it on another and I'm sitting here on the rollers, no hands, typing this on my phone while doing my tax returns and eating a bowl of veggie ramen noodles, with chopsticks... :)

OK, not quite. I can cycle no hands alright, way easier. Standing on the pedals is still a complete wobbler. Can't see the benefit yet when you can't surge left and right. To get it to work I have to adopt a completely unnatural stroke. But it does help for sure to be able to adjust my seating position by sitting up hands off or even just the brief respite of a couple of seconds out of the saddle.

Feel a right Fred for not having them set up properly for 2 years of rolling. Like a ring of kerry lad with his helmet on backwards:o:rolleyes:

Just looking down at it now, I could easily go another notch. Might try it another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

been cycling a good bit recently but i'm getting worried about riding my bike in the rain (rust). should i be worried about this or just keep cycling? i rinse and dry the bike after each wet ride though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I wouldn't be worried if your cleaning it and it's got grease where it's meant to. Decent steel bikes, if they rust, you can start to get worried in about 10years, it means your a few years away from it failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭vintcerf

CramCycle wrote: »
    I wouldn't be worried if your cleaning it and it's got grease where it's meant to. Decent steel bikes, if they rust, you can start to get worried in about 10years, it means your a few years away from it failing.

ah thanks, I've no excuses then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

vintcerf wrote: »
    been cycling a good bit recently but i'm getting worried about riding my bike in the rain (rust). should i be worried about this or just keep cycling? i rinse and dry the bike after each wet ride though.
    Worrying about the bike - no. You will be replacing components more ofthen though - in particular anything with bearings (bottom brackets, pedals, jockey wheels), the chain and the wheel rims get a high rate of wear, so will have to be changed at some point, sooner than in dry conditions. General wear and tear...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

fat bloke wrote: »
    So I moved the front barrel fwd one notch, tried it and the forks were still pretty central to the barrel and nothing like the pic above. Moved it on another and I'm sitting here on the rollers, no hands, typing this on my phone while doing my tax returns and eating a bowl of veggie ramen noodles, with chopsticks... :)

OK, not quite. I can cycle no hands alright, way easier. Standing on the pedals is still a complete wobbler. Can't see the benefit yet when you can't surge left and right. To get it to work I have to adopt a completely unnatural stroke. But it does help for sure to be able to adjust my seating position by sitting up hands off or even just the brief respite of a couple of seconds out of the saddle.

Feel a right Fred for not having them set up properly for 2 years of rolling. Like a ring of kerry lad with his helmet on backwards:o:rolleyes:

Just looking down at it now, I could easily go another notch. Might try it another day.

I hear ya. But at least you can give your arse a break now. Out of the saddle is a bit easier in the drops I find but it's still a bit unnatural compared to how it feels on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭secman

Anyone venture out today, how bad was it and how did you keep the rain out ? If possible :)

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭WOT

secman wrote: »
    Anyone venture out today, how bad was it and how did you keep the rain out ? If possible :)

I ventured out and the rain got in. Hard work with the wind too.

Went out in the car! Passed a few miserable looking lycra lads shivering and grimacing.

Very annoying weekend write-off with the only breaks in the constant rain being overnight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

No, but was out as an amateur unpaid driving instructor with the eldest yesterday, serious amount of surface water, flooding, etc. Saw one guy around Rolestown, I just said "Wow, respect". And that was before today's rain.

Two hours in the pain cave was as far as I got today. Miserable weekend, very glad now I snuck out on Friday afternoon just before the deluge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

was out around dunboyne this morning was not too bad but had the old bike so really wet roads no big deal better than the turbo for the hour or so .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Another advantage of the 5km rule. Can just go home nice and quickly if too miserable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Weepsie wrote: »
    Another advantage of the 5km rule. Can just go home nice and quickly if too miserable

Another?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Another?
    The other is that you won't get lost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I might drown, half the area of my 5K is Dublin bay and Dublin port

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Advantages of the 5k limit.

1: you get to know every singe local road intimately.
    2: if you get a puncture, your not too far from home
    3: you get to know your neighbors....well they get to know you as "the nutter on the bike guy"
    4: once you have a regular route, you know exactly what time you'll be home at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

5: You will know every small business in your neighborhood
    6: Where to get fresh eggs, cut flowers etc
    7: Sus out the best / worst areas of your neighborhood, and where would you rather live if you could move

• Registered Users Posts: 2,844 ✭✭✭De Bhál

8. Gives you a valid reason to just not bother going on a cycle. Excuse would be..."ah I would've went out this morning for a long one but the 5km limit just put me off".
    Then back to sleep with you, happy in the knowledge you've tricked yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Back out today at lunch for a bit of on and off road including Tibradden, Cruagh woods and home via the viewing point for 21k with 540m of climbing. Light rain but nicer out in it than looking at it from the window. Signed up for the Strava climbing challenge in the hope of motivating myself to get out most days, may given the Gran Fondo a go but have my doubts about having the patience for 100k in my 5k zone.

• Advertisement

I wonder.... if you lived in a campervan and got the mrs to drive behind you.... - could you cycle anywhere you want and if you're stopped just gesture back in the direction of your "house".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement