Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Yeah on Christmas Day and by a Jack Russell. I was ready to pedal off before it struck me that I had actually been bitten by the dog.

Anyway, it didn't break the skin - but that's not the point and I said as such to the owner of the dog. It was off the lead and not under her control. I wanted her details to report the incident to the county council.

After initially apologising when she saw the incident - when I rolled up my legging and there was no blood (it came out in a bruise later), she suddenly changed her tune. When I asked for her details, she refused, and said she would only give her name if she could take a photo of my leg! When I said she saw what happened and had immediatley apologised, she then said she couldn't be sure of what she saw. I knew then and there that she was going to deny anything ever occurred.

I could have taken a photo of her and the dog but then she could have taken a photo of me and plastered a different story on social media. Pissed off, I cycled on but gave her a piece of my mind as I did and told her to keep the mutt on a leash.

The moral of the story, I suppose, is this; unless you have open bleeding wound to your leg then any owner will likely point blank refuse anything happened to avoid prosecution.

Far too many owners let their dogs off the lead and the law allows such practise as only 'restricted breeds' must be leashed. However, I believe the bye-laws on greenways mean that dogs must be leashed and this should be enforced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Steady spin with dad and a neighbour who's new to cycling. Great to get out and make a bit of room for more turkey 😂

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/tvvEb3TwJ2

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Took out one of my new Boards jerseys today on a short spin from Leixlip to Glasnevin Cemetery (father passed away last week after a long illness).
    Wasnt cold and the little drop of rain wasnt enough to justify putting on a rain coat.
    Took my time and managed 42km @ 29.5kmh.

Most drivers were courteous (as was I, e.g. letting busses go first at the lights). One muppet coming up behind me after I crossed the M50 along a relatively quiet N4 thought I needed to be beeped several times as I was obviously forcing her into the empty overtaking lane beside her. Not quite sure where she thought I should go but had I got the opportunity for a quiet chat, I'd suggest that she take up cycling and lose the huge amount of excess weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭secman

Took out one of my new Boards jerseys today on a short spin from Leixlip to Glasnevin Cemetery (father passed away last week after a long illness).
    Sorry to hear about your Dad, tough Christmas for you and your family, still remember my own Dad's passing like it was yesterday and it was all of 25 years ago. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

Spin from Phoenix Park, out to Kilcock and back along the Royal canal, about 75 km. Got on the canal after Lucan to avoid the worst of the walkers and the deep sinking. Good spin, though very muddy in places. In fact, a section between Lucan and Leixlip was closed due to the mud, but I did it anyway. Gravel bike is a very adaptable tool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Miserable morning weather wise, but we were joined on our club spin by Ryan Mullen. Nice Christmas treat. He’s an absolute top class gent. 70km and soaked to the skin but smiling from ear to ear!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Out for 9am club spin today and punctured en route which meant I was a few mins behind. Did a solid 8 min effort to get to the meeting point only to find everyone else was a no show, pretty annoying.
    After getting over my annoyance I did just over 100km solo but would have loved sone company as I'd no earbuds with me.
    101km @ 30.6 avg with 850m of up and plenty room for a second turkey dinner!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

decided to tackle kippure. the last stretch wasn't as bad as i thought (i.e. bar stopping to lift my bike over the gate, i didn't stop between there and the mast). coming down was not fun though.

am a bit banjaxed, 80km with 1275m climbing. i probably should go with easier gearing next time. and a lighter bike.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/2960159794

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Lovely weather for the commute into work today. It was warmer than I expected and so I should have worn less..

Got out for about 60k this morning in drizzle and heavy mist, though it was mild. Came off on ice a few days before Christmas so wanted to get back on the bike as soon as I could. Got a right belt on the hip and managed to damage the back derailleur hanger, but thankfully today's spin proved the hip was ok and my repair job on the bike did the trick. Hopefully, I'll get out a few more days before I go back to work next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭rushfan

Got out on Stephen's day for 53km around the North County, pleasant surprise encountering the Wren boys in Ballyboughal.

Brought the bike to herselfs home place in Belmullet. Out on it this morning and only made it 7km before saying feck this and heading back. I've never encountered wind like it. Pushing my 100kg across into the wrong side of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

A short one around killiney and Dalkey, took the hill from 4 sides and added the car park. Nearly got side swiped by the wind on the way down from the car park.

My hill game has gone very bad over the last year.

https://strava.app.link/80OS8MDKM2

Steady spin out with dad and the neighbour this morning. 23k covered. First half of the spin was high 20s with the wind but a real battle on the way back into the wind. 6km short of my target for the Yr so its back out tomorrow.

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/fsJGl7iYO2

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

roads were bone dry here (i.e. outside the house) so i decided to take the good bike out for a quick 38km spin. now i have to wash the bleedin thing.

Spin out with the club today but only 2 of us. Did 43 km which brought me over the 500k mark since October. I struggled on the few sharp hills. Rode fasted which was a big mistake

Check out my activity on Strava: https://strava.app.link/Rwl7qCNWQ2

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Last ride of 2019, indoors on zwift. I tried to do 2x20min FTP. Coming off a sinus infection and a very minor surgery I think I managed about 12 minutes at FTP. It was a silly idea but at least I turned the pedals for 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

First 25km in about 7 months. Loved it. Hope to keep it going.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Acquiescence

Realised at very dark o'clock this morning that my front lights were in the War Department's car at her parents gaff; so did 50km around Limerick City like a lunatic.

Averaged 25.something stopping for at least 100 traffic lights.

It was actually great craic watching people struggle home and there was almost no cars.

EDIT: Got second on a 300m sprint KOM dude in first is 5 seconds faster lol. Some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Disaster of a day for me. In the in laws on a Greek islands. Realized it gets dark much earlier here so had to go buy lights yesterday to at least be seen in the late afternoon. Decided to change tires as they were looking a bit cracked, managed to pinch a tube in the process so a second trip to find an open bike shop needed as wouldn't have had a spare.

Arranged to do a 100k+ ride with a friend early today - only had two or three drinks last night in anticipation. Stomach felt terrible this morning though (not from the drink) so there was no way I was making it. Had to let him down.

Everything was laid out ready so decided to go for a short 30k anyway. Started in 17° shorts & t-shirt, blue skies. Got chased by two dogs and had to go flat out to get away from them - second of which really took the energy out of me being a bit sick. Heavens completely opened a few km from home.

Felt great after it though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

First time out on the road bike in almost 4 months (still commuting daily on MTB) so hit the hills in Cork and was overtaken by Eddie Dunbar, he was coming up a hill faster then I was going down it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,781 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

First time back also since the summer and I'm walking like John Wayne after 40km. Nice and dry with empty roads however after I turned for home I had a fierce cold headwind into me for approx 25km.

Gonna have a nice radox bath after I deposit the festive season's bottles in the local banks now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Disaster of a day for me. In the in laws on a Greek islands. Realized it gets dark much earlier here so had to go buy lights yesterday to at least be seen in the late afternoon. Decided to change tires as they were looking a bit cracked, managed to pinch a tube in the process so a second trip to find an open bike shop needed as wouldn't have had a spare.

Arranged to do a 100k+ ride with a friend early today - only had two or three drinks last night in anticipation. Stomach felt terrible this morning though (not from the drink) so there was no way I was making it. Had to let him down.

Everything was laid out ready so decided to go for a short 30k anyway. Started in 17° shorts & t-shirt, blue skies. Got chased by two dogs and had to go flat out to get away from them - second of which really took the energy out of me being a bit sick. Heavens completely opened a few km from home.

Felt great after it though

I lost all sympathy for you you after Greek Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

After watching The big Lebowski last night with a small vat of red wine I managed to get a nice spin in around NCD today at a reasonable lick.

For the first time in living memory managed to get around the pavilions roundabout without having to stop or with traffic as I headed up the bypass for the NCD backroads
    Had thought about a few laps of Howth with a mate but didn’t get up in time . Incidentally I see some lad got the TT hill course record up there today In Howth In 5:56! .Great weather , reminds me of the winters in America I cycled in , calm and bright .

Oberkon wrote: »
    Incidentally I see some lad got the TT hill course record up there today In Howth In 5:56!
    according to strava, he was pushing out over 700w for for a segment near the top that took him 16s. e-bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Oberkon

according to strava, he was pushing out over 700w for for a segment near the top that took him 16s. e-bike?

I thought that myself seems a strange one alright

• Registered Users Posts: 16,669 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Just a fasted turbo session for me today.

I did however have to drive to a family funeral and couldn't but notice the lack of cars en route. I made a mental note to plan a 5-6hr spin for same day next year to take advantage of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Managed 89k today out to Dun Laorighe then around to Howth. Lovely morning for it. Loads of cyclists out today was really great to see.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There was so much traffic in Howth today you'd be doing well to get up it in any decent pace

• Advertisement

Dark'O'Clock when i left this morning. Drogheda, Slane, Navan, Kentstown, Duleek, Donore, Drogheda loop. Longest I've gone in a while but a day to do it as I'd say I met 5 cars on the way to Slane on the N51 and only a few more than that I think to Navan. Easiest crossing of the N2 I've ever had aswell.

I've no idea what the young couple shouted at me on the way down flower hill in Navan but they could barely stand :D

The half festive 500 has given me the "drive" for cycling again. I was riding to work and back and a 30-50km spin at weekends and I'm off now until January 13th. I feel physically knackered but mentally I feel unreal like a massive weight has was lifted off of me that I didn't know was on me.

The spin this morning took nearly 3 hours which seriously slow even for me but I could care less the sheer joy I got from it was enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement