Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How prominent were wedgies during your time at school ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Grabbing someone by the back of the bra and pulling them around (if you were outside) or just snapping it really painfully (if we were in class)

We were no strangers to tit-punches either.

Used to see fellas getting polled when I spent a year in a mixed primary.

Only ever saw a wedgie on the hurling field and even then it was more of a case of short-shorts/hungry arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭CantonasCollar

Wedgies were reserved for birthdays at our school, quite the birthday treat. Only really started in earnest once the year above me were in their 2 final years. Too many headcases with testosterone levels off the charts. It mostly involved the rugby teams, and anyone outside that circle unlucky enough to be known by the headcases.

Having a summer birthday I managed to avoid a wedgie, buy have many friends not as lucky. The trick was to pre cut the groin (not completely through though) so that it didn't require much effort or cause too much discomfort to give the headcases that sense of victory they wanted.

One fella decided to go commando to try and deter them, he hadn't thought it through and ended up with his trousers being ripped off, which was probably more painful than the wedgie. He was the both the first and last to attempt that tactic.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Never saw it myself in the 70s /80s, may have been a 90's onwards thing of copying American TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Lone Stone wrote: »
    people use to straight up punch you in the nuts in my school
    "What's the rule?"
    "Huh?"
    "Guard your tool." WHACK!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

biko wrote: »
    Sticking your hand down the back of someone's trousers and pull at their underwear?
    Sounds gay.

I went to boarding school for 2 and a half years. Many a pair of boxers were ripped off a lad from wedgies. Also sack tapping. And the terror of the "goochenator". A half folded wire hanger to snap at someones "gooch" (taint).

There's a reason why I stopped boarding after 2 and a half years. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Never wedgies.

Remember staples fired from elastic bands. They were soar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Never heard of it in the 60's and seventies.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Never wedgies.

Remember staples fired from elastic bands. They were soar.

Majestic

http://freethumbs.dreamstime.com/68/big/free_687020.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A regular birthday occurrence in my school in the late eighties. Pole jobs were thankfully a bit rarer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

We had a thing where a few lads would link arms and block the top of the stairs. Everyone coming in from lunch would get stuck behind them. Then they would do running stage dives into the crowd. Was like a mosh pit, first years rolling down stairs like bowling pins. Big pile of bodies was like the squash scene in game of thrones. Amazing no one ever got injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

Everyone got a wedgie on his birthday and got the birthday bumps on the edge of a hurley.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

Letree wrote: »
    Getting put in a headlock was a big thing when i was a school. There always seemed to be someone being dragged about the corridor in a headlock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Wedgies only existed for a limited few years, and were only ever practised by the rugby playing crowd who were generally considered none too bright.

Pantsing was popular for as long as the associated pants were popular. The ones with buttons down the side that could be pulled apart. Of course the heads of fashion industry realised that letting them come unbuttoned the whole way wasn't a particular advantage of the style, and so changed the design to stop the top third from being able to come undone. This didn't stop the ardent pantsing enthusiast who saw this as a challenge to be overcome rather than a difficulty, which generally resulted in pants being forcefully ripped off the lucky panstee.

Now I'm in my thirties I would have thought this schoolboy behaviour no longer exists among my peer group however I do know of one person in his thirties who his quite in favour of the friendly gooly tap as a means of showing affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Never saw it myself in the 70s /80s, may have been a 90's onwards thing of copying American TV?

Not around here, I was a first year in 1987 and it was common then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A regular birthday occurrence in my school in the late eighties. Pole jobs were thankfully a bit rarer.

Never heard of that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Popular activity at my old school in the '80s.

I remember finding one poor chap hanging from a classroom doorknob by his Y- fronts. Totally unable to get down & was there for ages.

That was rough......but I still laugh at the memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

In our school we used take things out of peoples bags and then turn them inside out and zip them up. Some lads done it one time and found a knife in his bag, guy found out, went nuts and punched the other guy, breaking his own arm. Fun Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Never heard of that one.

Someone explained it earlier in the thread alright, basically four lads grabbing a fella by the limbs, spreading his legs and running him up against a basketball pole...

Jesus for all our rugby playing, some of us were never that dumb, or that cruel, there's limits like!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Getting jocked was more common , never heard of wedgies happening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

No we had proper fights, happy slaps, inside out bagging.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

We just got on with our studies, no time for shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"Binning" was an initiation thing in Nenagh CBS. A gang of 6th years would drag a lone 1st year into an empty classroom, bring his knees up to his chin and put him ar$e first into a big bin. Then they'd put him and bin on the teachers table and run.

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

Boarding school...early '00s...we had something called the ultimate wedgie where some poor First year on a top bunk would be forced to hook their own underwear on the corner of the bed and jump off - most underwear just ripped straight off, pity the poor kids with the fancy jocks though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Pile Ons where the thing I dreaded most as I have bad claustrophobia.

Even the mere thought now gives me the fecking fear.

Pile ups they were called in our school. Never liked them much either although it's just piles that I'm afraid of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Luckily not many, it would only really happen if you went to pick something up and the top of the boxers were poking out.
    There was a phase when lads would stand either side of you put a hurley through your legs and lift you up.
    That was put to an abrupt end when a guy the year ahead went he got a bruised sliotar and had to go to hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bleurgh, I need to wake up. I thought everyone was talking about wedges and was thinking did I miss some golden years of crispy potato treats?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭Dramatik

''nipple cripples'' were big in my school, it was where you pinched another person's nipple area with your finger nails and twisted and pulled at the same time, whilst making a hissing sound like a snake or a can of coke being opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Only seen them in the simpsons and other american shows

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

No wedgies in my school i ever heard of when i went, however there was the following

Instigator - "whats the capital of thailand?"
    Victim - "Bangkok"
    Instigator punches Victim in the balls.

Someone tried that on me and got a knee into the face for his effort of trying to punch me in balls, he didnt try it with me ever again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Walk up behind someone with a heavy backpack and pull them back and downwards by the collar. Tailbone meets granite.

The most fun was The Gauntlet when a whole class was waiting outside a locked classroom on either side of the corridor and some poor unfortunate had to walk through their swinging legs.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement