Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How prominent were wedgies during your time at school ?

Options
  • 03-07-2016 3:41am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Was talking to my 17 year old nephew there the other day and he says hes never heard of a wedgie happening in real life? when i was in school (70s and 80s lads school in dublin), wedgies were a part of every day life !

How common were wedgies while you were at school ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Non existent. Was more actually fights and black eyes.
    Wedgies was more American

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Never happened, all about Chinese burns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 heywhatsgoinon

where did you go to school ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Remember one case in my town that ended up in court actually.

I think the parents sued the school as someone ended up needing hospital treatment I believe. I seen a few but never experienced one, thank God.

To quote The Breakfast Club:

'The humiliation, the ****ing humiliation'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

where did you go to school ?

Tallaght community school. Nuff said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Flicking the back of your ear was more the thing in our school. That and pulling the chair away as someone was about to sit down.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Pile Ons where the thing I dreaded most as I have bad claustrophobia.

Even the mere thought now gives me the fecking fear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Older and not American, so no wedgies going on in my day and neck of the woods.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I can no longer have children... Thats how prominent it was.

There was a massive telephone pole right in the middle of the school playground. It was put to some use... Game of Thrones style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 770 ✭✭✭viztopia

We had a thing called polling in our school. A gang of lads would get someone and lift them off the ground by legs and upper body. They would then take a run at the basketball pole with the persons legs spread to get the wobbly bits. Believe it or not if it happened to you it meant you were popular!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Was common in the school I went to, most of the first year lads including myself got one during the first week of Sept.

Getting thrown into a holly bush was another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I remember the remains of "KVI underpants" we used call them, being strewn about the basketball court in secondary school. I genuinely never thought of it as American, 'twas almost threatened as an inevitability for every first year coming into the school to be hung up by their y-fronts out in the bicycle shed :D

It never happened that anyone actually was hung up by their underpants (those paisley underpants were ridiculously stretchy!), but definitely there were some lads that if it could have been done, they would have done it! Farmers the whole lot of 'em :pac:

Ah there were a few fights alright between the townies and farmers, but it was always good natured afterwards.

I think the most annoying was the fella behind you sticking a compass in your arse, or the lighter just inches from your arse, or I got a right crack on the arse one time from a fella with a shatterproof ruler! I felt terrible afterwards for laying him out as I really wasn't a fighter at all, jesus even thinking about it now I gave him an awful wallop, way OTT :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

So prominent that the principal had to call an assembly in order to outline the dangers of wedgies. Not joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

There were no wedgies. There was a terrible craze of "crispies" though in my school, which were a hard slap across the forehead.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

It happened, but to the best of my memory, it was just a bunch of 'hard' lads who would do it to each other but not to anybody outside that group, so they wouldn't get in trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

The odd time. Far more popular were, 1) pocketings, whereby your breast pocket would be ripped off your shirt, 2) baggings, whereby you would return to find your bag turned inside-out with the contents inside, and 3) tyings, whereby your tie would be yanked downwards, ruining the knot and making it difficult to untie. More irritating than painful, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

Flicking the back of your ear was more the thing in our school. That and pulling the chair away as someone was about to sit down.

And the old thumbtack on the chair was another one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Never happened because we had to wear skirts.

Pulling skirts up/down and throwing people into a big thorny bush in the yard was common though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

We had the 'sack tap', in some rooms you had to sit on a bench attached to the desk, making you vulnerable to a kick in the goolies from the person sitting behind you if you let your guard down, it quickly developed into the Sack Wars, a period of shifting alliances, heroic defenses, innovative tactics and treachery.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

A fond one in our school was coin crack. Someone would be leant forward showing off their arse crack. Queue dropping as many things down his crack without him realising. It would be great when it would be full and theyd stand up. Queue loads of stuff falling out the trouser leg.

The inside out school bag was a popular one as well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Fairly popular in school alright alongside

Jocking (pretty much the opposite of a wedgie)

Thumbtacks on chairs

Kicking the back legs of a chair when someone was leaning back with the front legs off the ground causing them to fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Getting put in a headlock was a big thing when i was a school. There always seemed to be someone being dragged about the corridor in a headlock

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Never happened. To be honest, I don't think I ever witnessed any physical aggression in school once I was out of primary. And in primary, it was usually just giving people a push or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not a wedgie to be seen or heard of when I was at school. Fights yes but wedges are an Americanism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

people use to straight up punch you in the nuts in my school

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

We used to heat up a coin with a lighter then drop it down the back of someone's shirt collar. Or stand in dogshyte and ask someone to give you a 'boost' over the wall and you put your ****ty runner into their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Wedgies?! We had nothing to wear but a potato sack to school and we were damn glad of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Dead arms and legs were the in-thing in primary school. And flicking the hand down someone's arse was also quite frequent, burnt like mad if done right.

Secondary school was more immature, shampoo in shoes, woodwork involved screwing school bags to tables, those sort of things

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sticking your hand down the back of someone's trousers and pull at their underwear?
    Sounds gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Blinding people with the innards of a vicks inhaler was a favourite of mine

approach victim from rear and a swipe under each eye to produce a mustard gas attack style reaction

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement