Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No signal to monitor after new GPU

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

xK Marcus wrote: »
    I thought gen 3 was the problem?

Ah Put to gen 2 restart. Put gpu in it will be detected. Then use driver or get one from nvidia official site if it has latwr

See in bios yours was set on gen 2 or 1?. I assumed gen 2 as it was already playing your old r9 280 card. Then you put in a gtx 1070 a gen 3 card. But put on gen 2 if it works sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭xK Marcus

Ah Put to gen 2 restart. Put gpu in it will be detected. Then use driver or get one from nvidia official site if it has latwr

See in bios yours was set on gen 2 or 1?. I assumed gen 2 as it was already playing your old r9 280 card. Then you put in a gtx 1070 a gen 3 card. But put on gen 2 if it works sorted.

Ok, I've got visual, I'll update again when more info comes

Ok, I've got visual, I'll update again when more info comes

Cool hopefully all well. While you at let us know details of card type how it performs cooling / noise. Abit ahead obviously ha.

Cool hopefully all well. While you at let us know details of card type how it performs cooling / noise. Abit ahead obviously ha.

Yeah, sure, I'll do what I can

Just restarting after installing drivers (Norton tried to sneak its way in)

Yeah, sure, I'll do what I can

Just restarting after installing drivers (Norton tried to sneak its way in)

Ugh where was it? On dirver disc or something? Keep that shiz off your computer. the filthy hog.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

You'd be amazed how much switching the fecking thing off at the wall and leaving it for a few mins actually fixes, especially with USB and BIOS. It's just pissing me off I didn;t tell you that as it was on the tip of my tongue, so to speak, earlier lol!

Once it's all up and running don't forget to go back to gen 3.

Dont use the driver disk, download the latest driver from the nVidia website.

Use DDU to do a driver clean before installing the new drivers. Well done in getting it sorted. The jump from a 280 to a 1070 is gonna be pretty sweet.

Ugh where was it? On dirver disc or something? Keep that shiz off your computer. the filthy hog.

Yeah haha, right at the end under a scroll bar, nearly missed it

You'd be amazed how much switching the fecking thing off at the wall and leaving it for a few mins actually fixes, especially with USB and BIOS. It's just pissing me off I didn;t tell you that as it was on the tip of my tongue, so to speak, earlier lol!

Once it's all up and running don't forget to go back to gen 3.

Dont use the driver disk, download the latest driver from the nVidia website.

Use DDU to do a driver clean before installing the new drivers. Well done in getting it sorted. The jump from a 280 to a 1070 is gonna be pretty sweet.

So switching back to gen3 will work now?, I've already used the driver disc, (it's a newly released card, so it's gotta be quite up to date), I'll look in to it anyway though.

So switching back to gen3 will work now?, I've already used the driver disc, (it's a newly released card, so it's gotta be quite up to date), I'll look in to it anyway though.

If it doesn't just clear the CMOS :pac: Every PC enthusiast needs to do that at least 100 times before they get let into the special club.

If it doesn't just clear the CMOS :pac: Every PC enthusiast needs to do that at least 100 times before they get let into the special club.

But it's not gonna blank on me again with gen 3?

• Advertisement

Ok, I changed it to gen 3 and it's all still working.

As far as I can tell, this is about the end of the problems. Thank you so much to everyone who helped, there's no way I could have done it without you. No one even responded when I posted my problems on the nvidia forums or tomshardware, so thanks again, I really appreciate it and can't wait to try out the new stuff.

I'll run something like The Witcher 3 and let you know how it compares.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Also for your PCI-e there was an issue with a few boards where you had to change the options from Gen3 back to Gen2 or even Gen1 to get the GPU to work.

Good job jonny.

Glad to hear all working. And what better way to enjoy a new GPU than in the witcher.

Good job jonny.

Glad to hear all working. And what better way to enjoy a new GPU than in the witcher.

Indeed, I've been saving the new expansion for this

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Indeed, I've been saving the new expansion for this

congrats on the fix mate:)

Well so far things are looking great, able to play it on all the 'ultra' settings, with no frame rate issues, and the GPU is staying at around 55 degrees, my old GPU would go to 80-90 at the 2nd high settings.

Delighted its working for you tbh it was simply some BIOS setting being an arse and then the keyboard playing up. Something anyone on older platforms would have experienced, it's difficult to diagnose things remotely, and credit to you - you were very easy to work with!

Keep at it and don't let this sort of thing put you off!

Massive congrats on the upgrade!

PS Boards.ie is by far the best place to ask the lads here are bloody brilliant in helping out, I've been on the receiving end of a lot of help on numerous occasions.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Ok, I changed it to gen 3 and it's all still working.

As far as I can tell, this is about the end of the problems. Thank you so much to everyone who helped, there's no way I could have done it without you. No one even responded when I posted my problems on the nvidia forums or tomshardware, so thanks again, I really appreciate it and can't wait to try out the new stuff.

I'll run something like The Witcher 3 and let you know how it compares.

Glad to hear your up and running now :)
    Good job jonny.

Cheers dude, this issue took me a good while to sort myself so glad my research was put to good use :)

Advertisement