Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB Pay Rises sought

Options
1232425262729»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Transfer backed down far too easily last time round in my opinion...

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

N.B.R.U to ballot for strike action due to DB not fulfilling their side of the agreement.

Ballot on 17th of Feb.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Clearly the idea is to get all three companies to strike at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

devnull wrote: »

Really, are you sure?. If Dublin bus management had stuck to the agreement there wouldn't be a ballot, are you saying it's Dublin bus management that want to strike?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Kyleboy wrote: »

Really, are you sure?. If Dublin bus management had stuck to the agreement there wouldn't be a ballot, are you saying it's Dublin bus management that want to strike?

The problem with the pension is that it is a combined pot and DB cannot solve issue by itself ,IE and BE will have to negotiate as well in any resolution of the issues

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Kyleboy wrote: »

No but the Bus Eireann strike is bringing these issues to light if there wasn't a BE then the issues may have fallen on deaf ears.

liger wrote: »
    N.B.R.U to ballot for strike action due to DB not fulfilling their side of the agreement.

Ballot on 17th of Feb.

Really I didn't read anything online or by the NBRU about it where did you hear that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

These continuous threats of strike action have to be having an impact on the perceived reliability of public transport with the public. The unions can't duck their responsibility for being part of the problem that is leading to the decline of the public transport companies.

Talks due for tommorow between unions and management hopefully a resolution of some kind will be found if not ballot due Friday.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Talks due for tommorow between unions and management hopefully a resolution of some kind will be found if not ballot due Friday.
    There's no resolution of this without extra money from government, and (rightly) that isn't forthcoming.

I'm surprised at how relaxed everyone seems to be about mass CIE company strikes from next Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if most DB & IR customers were unaware this was even threatened.

Will Shane Ross be taking the bus next week?

• Advertisement

hmmm wrote: »
    There's no resolution of this without extra money from government, and (rightly) that isn't forthcoming.

I'm surprised at how relaxed everyone seems to be about mass CIE company strikes from next Monday. I wouldn't be surprised if most DB & IR customers were unaware this was even threatened.

DB and IR would have to give at least two weeks notice so not this Monday anyway

I don't think this is just about getting extra money, it is also an attempt to try and force the regulators hand into changing the regulations to favour one Commercial operator (Expressway) over another by giving it special status/dispensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

The 3 companies are owned by the state and it seems to be forgotten here that the funding was cut and debts allowed to build on them for the last few years. Said it before that pensions is the one area that can ultimately draw all 3 companies out into a strike as its an issue that links them all.

Money HAS to be forthcoming lest you forget that in regards to IR alone it was recommended in the last report made that funding be made towards patching up the debts created over the last few years lest it bring the company down. Lets also remember that if the funding isn't made available that the so called taxpayer your so insistent that shouldn't be forthcoming with funding ultimately gets hits with a far more significant hefty bill as the state is the one liable for ALL costs if one of the companys goes under not to mention the collateral damage in multiple areas from it.

The problem that seems to be forgotten alot of the time is the 3 state companies are there in the first place to be providing SERVICES not primarily there to make profits. If they're not working because the state allows poor managers to be in these places or arent working because they arent funding the place or treating workers like crap its the state at fault here.

Infini2 wrote: »
    Money HAS to be forthcoming lest you forget that in regards to IR alone it was recommended in the last report made that funding be made towards patching up the debts created over the last few years lest it bring the company down.

The problem is both me and you know that even if the company was given money to cover the debts, a large percentage of this money would quickly be redirected towards the workers, meaning that even more money would be required and this circle would keep going around and around and around so the company would always be underfunded.
    The problem that seems to be forgotten alot of the time is the 3 state companies are there in the first place to be providing SERVICES not primarily there to make profits.

That would be great but history has shown that Dublin Bus will do what is best for Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann will do what is best for Bus Eireann and the unions will do what is best for the unions. If you really think that any of these parties are there to put customers and services first, you really are living in a fantasy world.

The users of the public transport really don't come high in either groups priority lists, that is why a regulator was needed in the first place and why there is one here now to stand up for the users of public transport in this country and dominate what used to be and still is to some degree, an operator and union first environment and customers last.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

The problem is both me and you know that even if the company was given money to cover the debts, a large percentage of this money would quickly be redirected towards the workers, meaning that even more money would be required and this circle would keep going around and around and around so the company would always be underfunded.

That would be great but history has shown that Dublin Bus will do what is best for Dublin Bus, Bus Eireann will do what is best for Bus Eireann and the unions will do what is best for the unions. If you really think that any of these parties are there to put customers and services first, you really are living in a fantasy world.

The users of the public transport really don't come high in either groups priority lists, that is why a regulator was needed in the first place and why there is one here now to stand up for the users of public transport in this country and dominate what used to be and still is to some degree, an operator and union first environment and customers last.

yet the regulator doesn't stand up for some users of public transport. IE the rail users.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

DB and IR would have to give at least two weeks notice so not this Monday anyway

"In a submission to the Oireachtas transport committee, the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA), which represents clerical personnel, said a work stoppage by staff at the State-owned bus company could lead to wider travel chaos if employees in the other CIÉ group companies also did not turn up for work.

The unions, which are to appear before the committee on Wednesday, said they had been asked whether there would be mass travel disruption from next Monday, when the bus strike is due to commence.

“The answer at this remove must be a qualified, and unfortunate, yes.
    "

"In a submission to the Oireachtas transport committee, the National Bus and Rail Union (NBRU) and the Transport Salaried Staffs Association (TSSA), which represents clerical personnel, said a work stoppage by staff at the State-owned bus company could lead to wider travel chaos if employees in the other CIÉ group companies also did not turn up for work.

The unions, which are to appear before the committee on Wednesday, said they had been asked whether there would be mass travel disruption from next Monday, when the bus strike is due to commence.

“The answer at this remove must be a qualified, and unfortunate, yes.
    "

Well then the unions will receiving a number of solicitors letters from DB and IE mangement surely

Well then the unions will receiving a number of solicitors letters from DB and IE mangement surely

I believe the reference is in regards to pickets at SHARED depots. Thats where there could be issues as rail workers might not pass a picket at these places.

I believe the reference is in regards to pickets at SHARED depots. Thats where there could be issues as rail workers might not pass a picket at these places.

Well BE, IE and DB have had their first share of strikes in recent years and I cannot remember there ever being an issue regarding picket passing.

Well BE, IE and DB have had their first share of strikes in recent years and I cannot remember there ever being an issue regarding picket passing.

There hasnt been a picket mounted on the sister companies depots in the past but neither has any dispute in a long time been this vicious or serious. You can be sure if the BE staff decide to picket the IR depots that the staff there wont be passing it.

Edit: noticed that the DB issue has been adverted as managment agreed to honour their commitement it seems so it just leaves BE and the spillover issues into IR atm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

There hasnt been a picket mounted on the sister companies depots in the past but neither has any dispute in a long time been this vicious or serious. You can be sure if the BE staff decide to picket the IR depots that the staff there wont be passing it.

Edit: noticed that the DB issue has been adverted as managment agreed to honour their commitement it seems so it just leaves BE and the spillover issues into IR atm.

i think the be strike is off as well? according to the other thread anyway unless it was the db issue the poster was referring to in that thread.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement