Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DB Pay Rises sought

Options
  • 27-06-2016 3:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭

Will keep this out of the older Luas thread(s)

DB drives seeking 30% pay rises to keep parity with Tram drivers

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/dublin-bus-staff-want-30pc-pay-hike-34835823.html
    They are seeking the 18.2pc pay increase won by the Luas drivers, and another 12pc which represented pay increases given to the tram drivers in recent years.

and just in case you thought they were having a laugh:
    He added that drivers expect their pay claims to be taken seriously without having to resort to industrial action - but they have not ruled it out.
    my emphasis

I would assume we can expect BE to follow suit as well on the back of this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Even allowing for the LUAS pay deal, there were always going to be pay negotiations in the CIE Group as the current deals ran their course.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,139 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Yes a negotiation was overdue. Crossing my fingers that the opening offer from management is decent and industrial action is avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Management have made two offers that were rejected out of hand, so there is a meeting at the Labour courts on Wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

shooting themselves in the foot with demands like that.
    all it will mean is that a double digit fare increase will be needed to pay for it, and will drive away all their customers, leading to job losses a few years down the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

all it will mean is that a double digit fare increase will be needed to pay for it, and will drive away all their customers, leading to job losses a few years down the road.

A fare hike will hopefully put more people on the bike.

Can't believe how expensive the bus is now.

I remember getting a €1.55 ticket from town to Coolock in 07.

Same ticket is €2.70 now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

None of what you write in the post makes sense or is going to happen.

Fare is out of db hands and is put in by nta.

Db drivers should get more then a luas driver.

Reasons why here are a few examples
    Bus has to go anywhere and everywhere and has no closed off sections like a tram.
    Driver has to deal with passengers, traffic many other types of road users fares none compliant passengers threats among lots and lots of other things.

Luas driver pulls a lever and goes doesn't have to deal with anyone at all. They are locked in a cab and are left to themselves and of course don't have stupid comments or questions about any random rubbish some come up with and also don't even interact with other road users as they are in a glass bubble with no window openings.

I could go on all day.

eeguy wrote: »
    A fare hike will hopefully put more people on the bike.

Can't believe how expensive the bus is now.

I remember getting a €1.55 ticket from town to Coolock in 07.

Same ticket is €2.70 now.

And only €2.05 using LEAP.
    You have to remember that cash fares have been increased deliberately at a much higher percentage to encourage people to switch to using LEAP.

I know, but leap is still a pain in the ass for those who don't use public transport often.

I know, but leap is still a pain in the ass for those who don't use public transport often.

Why?

Just get a card and keep it in your wallet, and set up auto top up.

Ultimately if you want to be daft enough to pay a significantly higher cash fare, that's up to you, but a much cheaper option is available.

You can't have it both ways.

Any comparison of fares between times past and now should be with the current LEAP fare as that's the standard these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,687 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

lxflyer wrote: »
    Why?

Just get a card and keep it in your wallet, and set up auto top up.

Ultimately if you want to be daft enough to pay a significantly higher cash fare, that's up to you, but a much cheaper option is available.

You can't have it both ways.

Any comparison of fares between times past and now should be with the current LEAP fare as that's the standard these days.

You're missing the point... Just because the increase is a bit less on LEAP is irrelevant.

The same journey now costs significantly more for no real benefit to the passenger or real improvement to the service. You'll no doubt cite things like Wi-Fi on buses, RTPI and so on but the former is a nice to have (given the choice between cheap swift and reliable bus services and free internet I think we all know what passengers would choose) and the latter is notoriously unreliable if posts on this forum are any indication.

Anyway, on the OP... 30% isn't going to happen anyway and I still fail to understand why these staff members seem to think they're entitled to such amounts. If I want that kind of money my choice is either to upskill/take on additional tasks and earn it, or find the door for somewhere that will give me what I want. Why should bus/tram drivers be any different?

• Advertisement

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    You're missing the point... Just because the increase is a bit less on LEAP is irrelevant.

The same journey now costs significantly more for no real benefit to the passenger or real improvement to the service. You'll no doubt cite things like Wi-Fi on buses, RTPI and so on but the former is a nice to have (given the choice between cheap swift and reliable bus services and free internet I think we all know what passengers would choose) and the latter is notoriously unreliable if posts on this forum are any indication.

Anyway, on the OP... 30% isn't going to happen anyway and I still fail to understand why these staff members seem to think they're entitled to such amounts. If I want that kind of money my choice is either to upskill/take on additional tasks and earn it, or find the door for somewhere that will give me what I want. Why should bus/tram drivers be any different?

No I'm not missing the point. The post to which I replied was comparing fares. Nothing else.

LEAP fares are a minimum of 20% cheaper than cash - in this particular case it's over 24%. That's a lot more than a "bit less".

You cannot do a comparison between cash fares now and cash fares ten years ago. It's not a level playing field as the cash fares are now artificially inflated. It's like the Brexit argument that it was costing the UK €350m a week when it was actually much less.

If you don't see RTPI as being a key feature of operating a bus service then I fear you're sadly mistaken. Given the volume of buses operated every day for which people don't complain, I don't actually accept that it is notoriously unreliable. Yes it has faults, some of which are unavoidable, but in general it works. As someone who has required a minimum of two buses each way to get to/from work every day for the past 6 years, it's invaluable for me to plan my trip and decide whether to use one route or another. 95% of the time it works for me.

I'm not sure quite what improvements would necessarily be delivered for the cost of the wifi either. It certainly wouldn't be anything significant.

I'm fully aware of your views on the bus service, but I seem to recall that most of the journeys that you're basing your opinion on being either orbital or certainly unusual - both of which are very difficult for a bus network to deliver given the generally unique nature of such individual trips (very few people making the exact same trip).

There are at last some improvements happening with be fleet being expanded again but that costs a hell of a lot more than providing wifi. That kind of money hasn't been available sadly - the bus service is constrained by the availability of public cash to invest in the fleet and the service - that's been virtually zilch until recent times, and certainly nowhere near the amounts required to deliver real service improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

DB drives seeking 30% pay rises to keep parity with Tram drivers

I'm totally fine with this. Of course they should first switch from being part of a publicly owned company to a tendered private sector company. Because that's part and parcel of the parity...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

And only €2.05 using LEAP.
    You have to remember that cash fares have been increased deliberately at a much higher percentage to encourage people to switch to using LEAP.

still a 32% fare increase against a cumulative 8% or so inflation over the same period, which is still way above odds for a service that continues to be substandard in many ways.

Fare is out of db hands and is put in by nta.

To simply say the NTA control the fares and DB have to live with that is a bit naive. If pay rates go up 30%, or 20 or 10 or whatever DB are going to apply to up fares to compensate. The NTA are hardly going to say no going on past increases granted now are they?

still a 32% fare increase against a cumulative 8% or so inflation over the same period, which is still way above odds for a service that continues to be substandard in many ways.

It's not as simple as that though. You also have to remember that there was a conscious decision by government to switch more of the burden of the cost of running the service onto passengers while subsidy levels were reduced (aside from reducing in line with service cutbacks), particularly onto season ticket holders.

That being said this is going to be a significant challenge for the operating companies. Pay restraint took far too long to be introduced and the notion that it should suddenly be restored while retained losses are still not recouped was (and is) daft, and any pay increase that is awarded now is going to have to be one that is affordable by the companies while not impacting on passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭trellheim

and any pay increase that is awarded now is going to have to be one that is affordable by the companies while not impacting on passengers.

I doubt the unions will see it in that way. Given what we saw in the Transdev dispute, L'Oreal-type negotiations will take precedence.

I was comparing a cash fare to a cash fare. I thought the comparison was valid. Sure I could compare a 10 trip ticket or a tax saver ticket and the comparison is not valid, so neither is a Leap, since it requires you to sign up to a scheme before even getting on the bus.

The DB drivers will get their raise, same as they have in the past, and to be honest, I understand they have a fairly sh*tty job and the conditions can be tough on some routes.

I don't think you can draw the same comparison between driving a bus and a Luas, considering their job has actually gotten tougher negotiating all the roadworks and traffic detours that have sprung up in the last 6 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I was comparing a cash fare to a cash fare.

You're comparing it to a cash fare when has deliberately inflated to encourage people not to use cash. Yes it's higher, that's the whole point. It's meant to be high. You're meant to look at it and think: geez, that's a bit high, I wonder if there's an alternative like a prepaid card that I could use instead.

I was comparing a cash fare to a cash fare. I thought the comparison was valid. Sure I could compare a 10 trip ticket or a tax saver ticket and the comparison is not valid, so neither is a Leap, since it requires you to sign up to a scheme before even getting on the bus.

Oh come on - LEAP is completely different to those products and actually you don't have to sign up to anything - you can simply buy one in a shop or at a LUAS/Irish Rail ticket machine and use it straight away.

Trying to compare a cash fare nowadays that has been increased at an artificially high rate deliberately to encourage people to migrate to LEAP, with fares ten years ago, and start complaining about how expensive they are now is pointless, when a significantly cheaper option exists. No one is forcing you to pay cash. You're just refusing to avail of cheaper options.

But if you're pig headed enough not to see the benefits of using a LEAP card, then fire away, complain all you like, but the fact is that using the bus does not have to be as expensive as you suggest it is, and LEAP is becoming more popular than cash.

trellheim wrote: »
    I doubt the unions will see it in that way. Given what we saw in the Transdev dispute, L'Oreal-type negotiations will take precedence.
    I was thinking more in terms of the future impact from a fares perspective - any wage increase is going to have to be one that the companies can afford without it driving fares upwards - given the changing nature of the PSO contracts this is going to become more relevant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 luckybag

If unsatisfactory result Thursday, it will be followed by a work to rule.
    Expect travel chaos, the public have no idea how much DB driver do above and beyond what they are supposed to do.
    In fact a work to rule will be more problematic for the public than a strike, with a strike you know the bus is not running and can make plans, with a work to rule, any bus, any time might not run.

• Advertisement

luckybag wrote: »
    If unsatisfactory result Thursday, it will be followed by a work to rule.
    Expect travel chaos, the public have no idea how much DB driver do above and beyond what they are supposed to do.
    In fact a work to rule will be more problematic for the public than a strike, with a strike you know the bus is not running and can make plans, with a work to rule, any bus, any time might not run.

Ah the perennial brand new account of a Dublin Bus staff member during any major IR talks has arrived talking doom and gloom to all. Welcome.

It's so predictable - every time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

In the real world, any wage increase, will see an increase in fares as operating costs increase and DB will seek and get approved a fare increase. The cost of fares and schedules are a big reason I dont use DB anymore. For example there is a bus stop 3 meters from my front door with a direct service to the city! It takes approx anywhere from 30- 40 minutes depending wiht a return cost of 8.20 with leap 10.80 without for a couple.

I can drive to the city and park in 20-25 min, my daily parking can be done for 8-12 euro and I have more flexibility!

Fattes wrote: »
    In the real world, any wage increase, will see an increase in fares as operating costs increase and DB will seek and get approved a fare increase. The cost of fares and schedules are a big reason I dont use DB anymore. For example there is a bus stop 3 meters from my front door with a direct service to the city! It takes approx anywhere from 30- 40 minutes depending wiht a return cost of 8.20 with leap 10.80 without for a couple.

I can drive to the city and park in 20-25 min, my daily parking can be done for 8-12 euro and I have more flexibility!

What Dublin Bus route costs €4.10 for a single journey on LEAP?

There is no such fare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

There is no such fare.

He said "for a couple," €2.05 on leap each way I assume

There is no such fare.

2.05 per person or 4.10 PER COUPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

2.05 per person or 4.10 PER COUPLE

Starting my car costs more then that.

Thats even before you take into account a licence, Insurance,tax,nct, maintenance and so on.

Costs for running a bus are huge.

Starting my car costs more then that.

Thats even before you take into account a licence, Insurance,tax,nct, maintenance and so on.

Costs for running a bus are huge.

Might want to get a mechanic to look at your car so, if you use a litre of fuel to start it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Might want to get a mechanic to look at your car so, if you use a litre of fuel to start it!

Ah, yes. The Magic car that was free to purchase, has a zero tax rate, free insurance and runs forever with no maintenance.

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ah, yes. The Magic car that was free to purchase, has a zero tax rate, free insurance and runs forever with no maintenance.

And magically operates to my timetable, is always there when it should be, can deviate it's route when it needs and operates at all hours and beyond the limits of the pale.

15 people in Dublin Bus make more than 100,000 per annum, bus drivers get paid more than graduate nurses with 4 years college education.

But I guess you are right DB fares are reasonable value for money, and it's lack of punctuality is not an issue at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Vic_08 wrote: »

all sunk costs which would be incurred by the poster anyway. fuel, parking and a very small maintenance per km is the only applicable cost for comparison

Advertisement