Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming post Brexit

Options
  • 24-06-2016 5:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭

So it looks like our neighbours are out.
    That was a bit of a shock,

what are the implications?
    GBP will fall. So beef trade fecked?
    Will others follow suit, referendums called in other countries.
    Northern Ireland & Scotland split from UK
    Should we be worried or will it all go back to normal after couple of months

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

Today could be a good day to buy a car or tractor up the north
    I'd say sterling will take some hit when market's open it already has against the dollar
    As for farmers here I'm sure it will be used as an excuse to cut prices we receive but if prices are cut any further they won't get the product as they are already paying less than the cost of production.
    It will be further compounded if there are cuts to CAP .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭50HX

uk farming community are going to regret this one

agriculture unlike here is way down the pecking order in term GDP and thus grant support

me think it will be a few years before things settle after an intiial shock of exiting

nothing can happen over night

good luck to them...brave move and maybe this time 2018 we'll be here looking on in jealousy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

This is not a good day for us up here. Do not like the implications of this one bit. I am actually in shock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭I said

Well that's the sky tv subscription cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

I said wrote: »
    Well that's the sky tv subscription cancelled.

Ah time for calm heads! No Knee jerk reaction., DONT PANIC DONT PANIC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Gate open. Cattle gone.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,530 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This has to be the death sentence for the EU.

Other right wing groups in countries like France will look to follow. Will France/Germany now carry an increased financial burden, this will be a deal breaker.

aparrently it's a two year process for them to leave. This will bring them up to 2019, doesn't this coincide with cap renegotion ?? I'd say cap funding for countries like Ireland will be badly hit.

We won't be allowed strike a trade deal with the U.K., Brussels won't want leaving to look like a big success and I expect them to play proper hard ball in trade negotiations.

I don't see a positive in this for us.

I'm thinking of my dad, he made quite a living smuggling everything that would go in a van or onto a truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Gate open. Cattle gone.

Il give you twenty sterling a piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,389 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

**** it. That's the borders back up. Not going to be a quiet weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Miname wrote: »
    Il give you twenty sterling a piece.

In silver or gold only !!,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Reggie. wrote: »
    **** it. That's the borders back up. Not going to be a quiet weekend

Do ye know something we don't Reggie?

Do ye know something we don't Reggie?

Only the army will be deployed to the border again. Lots of manoeuvres in dundalk and bundoran regions the last few months. We are the only land border of eu to England now. How quick it will happen I can't say but we have been told to prepare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

How much beef and dairy produce is exported from Britain to rest of EU? Will that be affected and is it something we can tap in on?

Wonder now will we pick up on multinationals based in the UK that need a base in the EU.
    Might bring in some more good paying jobs with them ?? Surely another English speaking country would be the easiest move ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Only the army will be deployed to the border again. Lots of manoeuvres in dundalk and bundoran regions the last few months. We are the only land border of eu to England now. How quick it will happen I can't say but we have been told to prepare.

Enda will announce later today that "we won't stand idley bye "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭20silkcut

_Brian wrote: »
    This has to be the death sentence for the EU.

Other right wing groups in countries like France will look to follow. Will France/Germany now carry an increased financial burden, this will be a deal breaker.

aparrently it's a two year process for them to leave. This will bring them up to 2019, doesn't this coincide with cap renegotion ?? I'd say cap funding for countries like Ireland will be badly hit.

We won't be allowed strike a trade deal with the U.K., Brussels won't want leaving to look like a big success and I expect them to play proper hard ball in trade negotiations.

I don't see a positive in this for us.

I'm thinking of my dad, he made quite a living smuggling everything that would go in a van or onto a truck.

Whatever about the EU this is definitely the death sentence of the 300 year union of England and Scotland. Northern Ireland's position is looking increasingly tenuous in a more insular looking English parliament.
    A quick browse through the last 1000 years of history shows that such upheaval in unions between countries is quite normal.
    A partitioned Ireland and a joined England and Scotland is actually a very unusual unnatural scenario in the context of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

_Brian wrote: »
    Wonder now will we pick up on multinationals based in the UK that need a base in the EU.
    Might bring in some more good paying jobs with them ?? Surely another English speaking country would be the easiest move ??

Depends on the deal struck but ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,497 ✭✭✭rangler1

The leave campaigners were promising cheaper food imports,
    Our agri exports are going to take some hit if that happens

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

You will see the price of cattle drop over night after this.:mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

rangler1 wrote: »
    The leave campaigners were promising cheaper food imports,
    Our agri exports are going to take some hit if that happens

Overnight our exports became 10% dearer!

• Advertisement

You will see the price of cattle drop over night after this.:mad:

Ha, we chose a few heifers to offload just yesterday evening, plan was to sell in two weeks, don't think that will happen now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Just looking at a map of EU with UK gone we are very isolated, we are nearly as far from EU now as Iceland is from us.

I reckon the border will be on the coast of N. Ireland, we've all got used to free travel, and both N.Ireland and Scotland voted to remain in EU.

I think the price of beef could be the least of our problems. An awful lot depends on trade deals now.

At least I don't have shares in ryanair;););)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Listening to the radio this morning you would swear the world had ended.Rte seem to think this is the worst thing since the last worst thing that happened.
    Could end up like the y2k scare,the "we are all gonna die from bird flu" scare,the post 9.11 terrorism scare,the sellafield cancer scare,the chernobyl scare,the ozone hole layer etc etc.
    Bet you all that in 5 years time nobody will even remember the details.

Chances of the Irish army being deployed back on the border this year ?Laughable and an example of the hyperbole people feel is necessary to be seen to be taking this in a serious manner.
    Nobody died and talks will drag out for years.

Mortgage is a very sweet 0.45 on top of base rate with Ulster Bank.

How the hell is this going to work out ?? My mortgage will be with a non eu bank ??

Chances of the Irish army being deployed back on the border this year ?Laughable and an example of the hyperbole people feel is necessary to be seen to be taking this in a serious manner.
    Nobody died and talks will drag out for years.
    Say what ya like but we have been preparing to be deployed. Anyone on the border region will have noticed that the border patrols from finner camp and dundalk bks started back up around 2 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Say what ya like but we have been preparing to be deployed. Anyone on the border region will have noticed that the border patrols from finner camp and dundalk bks started back up around 2 months ago.
    Actual exit ,if it even happens ,will take 2 plus years at a minimum.Thats without taking into account any Irish/British agreement re. our common border.
    In reality the "border" ceased to exist years ago and chances are that it will not be reappearing anytime soon.
    Increased border patrols sound like some civil servants wet dream to show how ready and aware he was of the terrible threat brexit would pose to the lives of those living in close proximity to non believers(in the all powerful cult of the EU)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭orm0nd

keep calm,

nothing is going to happen overnight,

long term implications don't look too good however.

don't go making any rash decisions or changes

Actual exit ,if it even happens ,will take 2 plus years at a minimum.Thats without taking into account any Irish/British agreement re. our common border.
    In reality the "border" ceased to exist years ago and chances are that it will not be reappearing anytime soon.
    Increased border patrols sound like some civil servants wet dream to show how ready and aware he was of the terrible threat brexit would pose to the lives of those living in close proximity to non believers(in the all powerful cult of the EU)

You stated the army would not be deployed and it was only scaremongering on people's part to say so and that it was an impossibility. I'm just saying we have been preparing for deployment for a while. The army likes to have all angles covered. Don't know if it will happen or the time frame it will happen as I stated earlier. You hardly think I want to be up there. The BSE birder controls were enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any ire/uk deal will have to be part of their eu negeoations. And if there is a border it will have to be in place before they leave so we can close the door after them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭Willfarman

This is not the time for talking sense like that... This is worst thing to happen here since..

Well since the last worst thing.

Advertisement