Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

4wd needed for double axle trailer?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,109 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Jesus. wrote: »
    What are the RSA? An NGO or a Quango?
    Probably a QUANGO i.e.

Quasi-Autonamous Non-Governmental Organisation

or else, a Statutory Body.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

TrailerBob wrote: »
    Too much inaccurate information here

1. Toyotas are full time 4wd, one of the few remaining.
    Most others are running part time systems. 2wd on the road. Some of the Land Rover stuff is electronic

2. 90 & 120 series landcruiser (1998-2010) - are 2800kg rated - based on gross plated weight of the vehicle at 2850kg - believed an error of judgement on Toyotas part in engineers circles. They are certainly capable of more than that, but not legally.

3. Very few vehicles are actually 3.5 ton rated. Discovery/Defender and Range Rover are, as is the Landcruiser Amazon/200 and 3.2 Pajero. Some of the newer pickups too. 3.5 ton mini diggers are out for anything less than a truck. 1.5 ton digger and cattlebox are both going to come in under 3 ton (unless you wedge 6 bullocks in there)

4. 4x4 has nothing whatsoever to do with towing capacity. It just so happens that the majority of B license vehicles with higher towing capacity are 4wd.

5.OP please do a search here, or go onto the RSA site for the correct information instead of the "I heard that on the 3rd full moon of the second month you can tow a trailer without any licence" stuff.

Sorry just had to clear that up.

And just to be awkward, some 110 Defenders with factory fitted heavy duty suspension had a towing capacity greater than 3.5t, I think it was 4.

The heavy duty kit from LR, afaik was the clutch and rear springs off the Defender 130.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

tcow wrote: »
    Hi

I know there are some old posts on this, but I cant find more recent ones.

Wondering, do I need a 4wd to tow a double axle trailer/cow box?? Won't be pulling anything jeavye, like a digger or anything. Just small stuff, amf maybe a cow or few calves.

Iv got a B , B1 licence only.

Why do you think 4wd increases towing capacity?

Advertisement