Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spider-Man - PS4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Infernum wrote: »

Oh yes. This is probably the best Spider-Man game there will ever be.

Loved that game as a kid.
    I remember there was a cheat code or something that made you unlock all the spidermen outfits, I kept using the one that made me go invisible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

2Mad2BeMad wrote: »
    Loved that game as a kid.
    I remember there was a cheat code or something that made you unlock all the spidermen outfits, I kept using the one that made me go invisible.

'EEL NATS' was the code to unlock all that. And yeah, I typically used that same costume, or the Captain Universe costume (black top half with a silver bottom half) which meant you could be invincible and have unlimited webbing without using cheats.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Infernum wrote:
    'EEL NATS' was the code to unlock all that.

Wow it took me too long to realise what that means :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wow it took me too long to realise what that means :o

Heh, yeah. There was also a funny easter egg where typing in curse words would result in Spidey popping up on the bottom left corner of the screen, doing his punch motion and the curse word would be changed to something like 'Balloons'.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,564 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Not sure if it's been talked about here but the fact that there's no fall damage in the game seems really weird to me, seems like it'll make any tight web swings pretty inconsequential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Not sure if it's been talked about here but the fact that there's no fall damage in the game seems really weird to me, seems like it'll make any tight web swings pretty inconsequential.

That's something I imagine Marvel had pull in. Can't have videos of Spidey going splat from the highest point in the game.

There is also no day/night cycle which is disappointing.

J. Marston wrote: »
    That's something I imagine Marvel had pull in. Can't have videos of Spidey going splat from the highest point in the game.

There is also no day/night cycle which is disappointing.

Idk I'd imagine it's much easier for game design too, in fairness they've probably tested the game with fall damage too and maybe they just didn't like it as much.

Yeah was reading the Day/Night thing is because the story of the game takes place over a period of a couple weeks, so it would feel pretty disconnected to have the player be able to cycle through weeks just roaming around and then go do a mission and have the characters act like it's only been 24 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Yeah was reading the Day/Night thing is because the story of the game takes place over a period of a couple weeks, so it would feel pretty disconnected to have the player be able to cycle through weeks just roaming around and then go do a mission and have the characters act like it's only been 24 hours.

That's kind of a nonsense excuse imo. You can do precisely that in the Witcher and it has never been an issue for me, and presumably millions of others, playing the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

did they ever have fall damage as a thing in any games previously?

IIRC, the main reason you kept swinging was to preserve momentum, so you'll naturally still want to avoid hitting the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,115 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I hope there is a stumble or rolling animation at least. Hopping off the Empire State building just to land normally would be a bit silly even for a superhero game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

40 minute video on the history of Spider-Man games:

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/the-history-of-spider-man-video-games/2300-6445995/

Well worth a watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Not an issue for me, although it is a bit silly that Spidey will take damage from enemies, but not gravity. Probably due to Peter's love of physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

did they ever have fall damage as a thing in any games previously?

IIRC, the main reason you kept swinging was to preserve momentum, so you'll naturally still want to avoid hitting the ground.
    As seen here, the application of fall damage has varied over the years. In the previous two Amazing iterations, they seem to have taken a similar approach to the Arkham games whereby the character will automatically do a last second recovery maneuver rather than hitting the ground and potentially dealing with the damage question.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,902 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Main game length is 20 hours excluding side quests and exploration.

I don't think so man. It seemed much shorter. I would say more like 12-15 hours.

I don't think so man. It seemed much shorter. I would say more like 12-15 hours.

Damn. I was just going off a web article and I know you've played it for review so fully believe you.

Do you think there's sufficiently more hours in it if you venture into side quests and collectibles?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Is this game suitable for a 7 yr old

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

J. Marston wrote: »
    I hope there is a stumble or rolling animation at least. Hopping off the Empire State building just to land normally would be a bit silly even for a superhero game.

Monster Hunter dealt with this well. The character would auto-hook for a soft landing as he landed and it looks smooth and didn't interfere with anything.

shamrock55 wrote: »

All depends on the child really. What other games do they play?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,507 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Grayditch wrote: »
    Monster Hunter dealt with this well. The character would auto-hook for a soft landing as he landed and it looks smooth and didn't interfere with anything.

Ah lads, Superhero landing explains all.

From ESRB, describes why it has a 'Teen' rating.

This is an action game in which players assume the role of Peter Parker/Spider Man in a fictional version of New York City. From a third-person perspective, players fight crime, swing around buildings, and engage in melee combat with various thugs. Characters mostly punch, kick, and throw each other during fights; some enemy characters also use pistols and machine guns. Combat is highlighted by realistic gunfire, screams of pain, impact sounds, and occasional slow-motion sequences.
    One cutscene depicts a character in the background shooting himself in the head; another cutscene depicts a mugger shooting an innocent character (just out of frame). Some missions/plotlines involve drug deals and “designer narcotics”; one scene briefly shows a duffel bag full of white packages of the drug.
    The word “sh*t” appears in the dialogue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The ESRB in the US gave it a T (for Teen). There is a more in depth description of the game content and why it got that rating at that link.
    I think PEGI gave it a 16 but it's not listed on their site.
    EDIT: Beaten to it

Collectors edition statue leaked. Disappointing imo. Apparently it contains end game spoilers but all i can see is that you either fight
    the sinister 6 (already shown in a trailer) or some kind of monstrosity made up of all of them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/c4YwP55

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Collectors edition statue leaked. Disappointing imo. Apparently it contains end game spoilers but all i can see is that you either fight
    the sinister 6 (already shown in a trailer) or some kind of monstrosity made up of all of them.

https://imgur.com/gallery/c4YwP55

That looks like pure tat.

That looks like pure tat.

Exactly why I wouldn't entertain their whole "Quick, preorder before they sell out but we're not gonna show you 50% of the statue". Glad I didn't go fo it now.

Link not working, must already be pulled. Decided I wouldn't spoil myself after so won't check it but have seen elsewhere it's not intended to be open until post-game.

I can't understand the logic of releasing a statue in a collectors edition where you can't/shouldn't display it or even open it until you've finished the story which for very casual players could be weeks.

Also, as someone with a few statues from Assassin's Creed and Uncharted, the only reason I bought them is because I thought they looked cool BEFORE buying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jamesjackso1

20 hours? Does not really excite me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

20 hours? Does not really excite me.

Story mode is only 20hrs? Frack that

~15 hour main story is plenty for me, I'm not gonna rush through it anyway and I'm sure there are plenty of unlockables/challenges and whatnot outside of the campaign.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

~15 hour main story is plenty for me, I'm not gonna rush through it anyway and I'm sure there are plenty of unlockables/challenges and whatnot outside of the campaign.

Are you willing to pay 70 bucks for a short ass game and then they release DLC (extensions of the game) a few weeks after.

• Advertisement

20 hours of a campaign would do me grand. When I see '20 hours', I also see 'game I can finish!'.

Advertisement