Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help with PC Case Migration

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭knoggs

Hi there
    sorry i'm late to the party, has anyone told you the dell power supplys don't use the standard 24pin layout? I used to use one as a temporary power supply for watercoling pumps. you need a dell psu or else you need a new mobo. Dell are like apple, a lot of their components are unique to them so they can charge extra for upgrades. Hope i could be of help :)

Found lots of examples on internet where people did the same migration i did using brand new non-Dell PSUs. Certainly, standard 24 pin power connector fits. Anyway, im gonna get a new motherboard and reuse my CPU and ram in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

knoggs wrote: »
    Found lots of examples on internet where people did the same migration i did using brand new non-Dell PSUs. Certainly, standard 24 pin power connector fits. Anyway, im gonna get a new motherboard and reuse my CPU and ram in that.

Cool, they will fit, as in the actual connector's are identical, but the pin out's are different. As in the 12,5 and 3 volt wires are not in the same positions as each other. Be careful before you try a new board, especially a dell board. Best of luck.

Cheers. Wont be getting a Dell one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

I was delighted to help and now Knoggs is home safe and not found murdered somewhere :pac: I hope if anyone else needs help they wont be afraid to ask! As I said to Knoggs many of us love building PCs and are delighted when someone presents us with an opportunity. I'm in North Dublin if anyone ever needs to pop around.

That said always have a go yourself it's dead easy and if you do get stuck someone will always pitch in! More people building their own machines = more people with decent PCs buying games = more fun for us all and less stupid console ports.

Well, after waiting 10 days for new motherboard to arrive, the vendor informed me this evening ( only after I raised a query through Amazon) that the transit company has lost my motherboard and they don't have any more in stock

Any recommendations for an 1155 socket motherboard and where to buy from? It's been nearly 2 months without a PC now and getting sick of typing on iPad :-)

• Advertisement

Well, after waiting 10 days for new motherboard to arrive, the vendor informed me this evening ( only after I raised a query through Amazon) that the transit company has lost my motherboard and they don't have any more in stock

Any recommendations for an 1155 socket motherboard and where to buy from? It's been nearly 2 months without a PC now and getting sick of typing on iPad :-)

Jesus you have some luck!

For 1155 amazon will have the best selection of stock. I always went with ASUS 1155 boards back then and they were pretty bulletproof for me. I hope you have some good luck after all the bad.

Jesus you have some luck!

I know - Sod's law and all that!

For 1155 amazon will have the best selection of stock. I always went with ASUS 1155 boards back then and they were pretty bulletproof for me. I hope you have some good luck after all the bad.

Cheers - I'll see if I can find one that Amazon fulfill themselves

A short update

Picked up a motherboard on adverts.ie and installed CPU and ram today

Unfortunately, I stripped a screw when installing the CPU cooler and it isn't seated properly ( I hope I can get it off again!)

I did a quick test by hooking up power supply and screen to attempt to boot and that was successful - which is some good news. See pic below

I guess I need to get another CPU cooler

WtV00E.jpg

• Advertisement

yeah - can't remove the cooler

I guess the universe really doesn't want me to get my PC working. It shouldn't be this hard and everyone repeatedly tells me that building a PC is easy and just go ahead and do it. But I face failure at every single, bloody step

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

yeah - can't remove the cooler

I guess the universe really doesn't want me to get my PC working. It shouldn't be this hard and everyone repeatedly tells me that building a PC is easy and just go ahead and do it. But I face failure at every single, bloody step

Its generally fine if you don't have hardware that's DOA. Troubleshooting can be difficult regardless of whether you built yourself or bought an off the shelf desktop.

As regards the stripped screw/bolt, for anything less delicate I would recommend drilling it out, but you might do more damage in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Jo Satan

You can stretch a rubber band over the point of a philips head to give it more grip and fill in the worn area.

Jo Satan wrote: »
    You can stretch a rubber band over the point of a philips head to give it more grip and fill in the worn area.

Thanks Jo - ill give that a try

Jo Satan wrote: »

Genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Did it work?

Afraid not - too far gone, I fear

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Redfox25

You won't get vice grips or the likes in there?

I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm not hopeful ( also unsure I have vice grips)

I'll give it a try tomorrow but I'm not hopeful ( also unsure I have vice grips)

Try B&Q for a screw extractor or use a mini hacksaw blade to cut a line in the screw making it a flat head.

• Advertisement

I think my dremmel might be getting an outing!

Well, it seems we have finally done it!

Huge thanks to Mark for all his help. We (mostly he) finally assembled the PC , installed windows and ran some CPU and GPU benchmarks. Everything is looking good - now to try out Witcher 3 at a decent resolution and settings.

Thabjs again to everyones support and, especially, Mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Only came across this thread now, Mark, fair play to you for helping, it's a really decent thing to do.

I'm in the Ashbourne area and if anyone ever needs help or loan parts, they can message me no problem.

It would be nice to have an area list so people can trouble shoot, ask for on site/off site support!

Edit:
    Actually, a friend in work sent his lap top up to me the other day, it's stuck on the Asus splash screen. I reckon it might be the hard drive so I'm going to stick one of mine in, are Mobos on laptops a lost cause if it happens to be that? I don't bother with laptops usually.

Only came across this thread now, Mark, fair play to you for helping, it's a really decent thing to do.

I'm in the Ashbourne area and if anyone ever needs help or loan parts, they can message me no problem.

It would be nice to have an area list so people can trouble shoot, ask for on site/off site support!

Edit:
    Actually, a friend in work sent his lap top up to me the other day, it's stuck on the Asus splash screen. I reckon it might be the hard drive so I'm going to stick one of mine in, are Mobos on laptops a lost cause if it happens to be that? I don't bother with laptops usually.

totally agree - Mark went above and beyond

I''d be the first to offer my services but I'm afraid they'd be limited to moral support and heavy lifting :-(

Also, this is my first post from my new PC!! (it's so quiet!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

totally agree - Mark went above and beyond

I''d be the first to offer my services but I'm afraid they'd be limited to moral support and heavy lifting :-(

Also, this is my first post from my new PC!! (it's so quiet!)
    Want to buy new parts yet? :)

not yet John but give it time .... :-)

by the way, does anyone here use dualshock 4 on windows 10? What software do you use for input mapping?

Advertisement