Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help with PC Case Migration

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭knoggs

Tried the various ram combinations

Stick 1 in slot 1
    Stick 1 in slot 2
    Stick 2 in slot 1
    Stick 2 in slot 2

No change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

That CPU is a piece of cake to take out and reseat dude.

Just unscrew it carefully and lift. The fan will come off.

From what I can tell of other pics of this mobo, the cpu itself is locked under a metal case so you can't even get to it doing the fan on its own. Just lift off the fan and check what it looks like paste wise.

Then if you're feeling brave (again, just be careful and it's not hard) unhook the cpu case bar and lift it. Only the case will come away.
    Just be sure if / when you lift the cpu to only touch the sides. Not the bottom. Reseat it and resit the bar to lock it in place.

Just make sure there is no power going into the board before you do this and de-static yourself before you go anywhere near it.

If you're near a PC world or maplin you can get paste for 5-10 euro.

Do I need to remove old paste somehow first?

What's the best way to de-static (I really am unknowlefgeable about this stuff)?

There's a Maplins in Blanch - think I'll pop over

Inside of the computer case is usually pretty good. Just touch a grounded unpainted metal surface anyway.

Don't worry too much about cleaning up for now. Just check it. It might be fine.

Maybe take pics of what you see.

CPU cooler is off

I can't post urls or pics directly so I'll send you a link in PM

• Advertisement

Seems that going over 25 posts means I can now attach pictures !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

I thought dell were awkward and use BTX (or something like that) motherboards with a specific connection for the power supply? Might be wrong so don't pay too much attention to me.

Doesn't look too bad. Not enough to warrant a rush out to the shops anyway.

I'd lift the case and reseat it. It's unlikely the cpu could have moved in that case though.

Ok - will give it a try

CPU reseated and everything re-assembled

Beeps are back :-(

• Advertisement

Jim - it's an ITX motherboard but to save room in the x51 case ( they make a big deal of it being slightly bigger than an Xbox 360) they have an external power brick that connects to a power board - which in turn connects to the motherboard with usual 24 pin connector

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Possibly - POSSIBLY something has shorted and given something a jolt. It's not the end of the world and don't give up! A cheap mobo and CPU can be got of adverts. Do you happen to know what CPU it is? I can't quite make it out from the pics.

Just to confirm you're getting different behaviour now it's out of the case?

--edit--

Nevermind. I'm getting conflicting reports as to the beeps on an x51...

Are you getting anything on start now after / before the beeps? Could you make it to bios?

H Mark - CPU is i5-3450 CPU @ 3.10GHz

Yes - I can confirm different behaviour once out of the box. When in the case there was a quick blue flash and then everything stops, including CPU fan.

Now, outside the case, it continues spinning the fan and the motherboard is beeping in a Pattern of 5 beeps - .5 second pause - 5 beeps - .5 second pause - 5 short beeps and so on

quick blue flash?

From an LED? or a power spark? :eek:

Last thing I can think of is try swapping over any power cables connected to the main board. e.g. try the other 4 pin of the 8 pin connector, make sure the right 4 mins are in the 24 pin connector. Make sure the 4 pin connectors are going in properly. Can you try it with the original PSU?

If push comes to shove will a sandy bridge CPU go in that?

If push comes to shove will a sandy bridge CPU go in that?

afaik should be fine.

Original powe supply is gone, I'm afraid

I tried both of the 4 pin power connectors

The 4 pins I used with the 20 pin connector are the only ones branching off same cable, if that makes sense. Definitely the right ones

Regarding the blue light - I tested again and I can see it is actually coming on now too. When in the case it must have been reflecting off a surface which made it more visible but I didn't notice when motherboard was out of the case until I looked more closely .

It's near the front panel audio connectors - near what appear to be 2 small capacitors ( I think )

Blue light flashes briefly near the '+' on the left edge of board in this pic

Flashes when I power on and also when I switch power off

• Advertisement

I'll have to confirm but I think I've components that we can swap out to see what's gone Pete Tong. I'm afraid I'm tied up until Monday though. I'm Kilbarrack based is that doable for you - plenty of parking.

Mark - that would be great. I can come to Kilbrrack at whatever time suits you on Monday

Do you want to PM me details?

Also, thanks to Noxin and others for their help. I know it's not easy to troubleshoot this stuff remotely

I've checked Dell forums and people have put in Sandy Bridge CPUs. The only issue was the stock PSU is 330 W which isn't enought but I have a new 600W PSU so should be ok ......

best of luck so guys. Let us know how you get on.

knoggs wrote: »
    I've checked Dell forums and people have put in Sandy Bridge CPUs. The only issue was the stock PSU is 330 W which isn't enought but I have a new 600W PSU so should be ok ......

What model no. is the PSU btw?

NM it's an EVGA.

Noxin wrote: »
    best of luck so guys. Let us know how you get on.

Here's hoping it'll be good news! Been a bit of a roller coaster ride

A big thank you to Mark for his help today. After testing a few things it would appear that the motherboard is the culprit.
    My CPU, psu and ram all work in his system and his cpu, ram and psu couldnt get mine to run.

So, looks like a new motherboard and copy of windows for me :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

I'm hoping to migrate my x51 into a new case later this year. This thread scared me!

That's great news OP. Boards really is a fantastic place for getting help and sharing knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭thegreenbean

Hi there
    sorry i'm late to the party, has anyone told you the dell power supplys don't use the standard 24pin layout? I used to use one as a temporary power supply for watercoling pumps. you need a dell psu or else you need a new mobo. Dell are like apple, a lot of their components are unique to them so they can charge extra for upgrades. Hope i could be of help :)

• Advertisement

I'm hoping to migrate my x51 into a new case later this year. This thread scared me!

That's great news OP. Boards really is a fantastic place for getting help and sharing knowledge.

It is s bit scary but i got a lot of support from the folks on here which is great

Advertisement