Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help with PC Case Migration

Options
  • 16-06-2016 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi all,

In preparation for a new graphics card and some other upgrades I tried to migrate my Alienware x51 to a new case (with new power supply).

However, the PC will not power on at all. I have no experience in doing PC builds and don't know if there is an issue with how I've connected components or if I've shorted/fried something or if my new power supply is defective.

Any advice on where/how I could hire someone to come take a look at it for me? I think I'm at the limit of my limited knowledge.

I'm in North Dublin - D15 ( blanchardstown area).

Thanks,

Knoggs

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Take the Mainboard out of the case, pop it on something non conductive - a piece of cardboard is ideal - and see it powers on. If it does the case is shorting it somewhere.

Any lights on the motherboard? If so are they lit - if so you have the power switch wired up wrong.

Is the 24 pin mainboard connector AND the 8 pin plugged in?

I've built PCs for 20 years this year - guess what - did a build two days ago and the reset switch doesn't work. Panic not, it's probably something easy to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭knoggs

I'm out of town today but will try tomorrow to power on with mobo outside case. Thanks for the suggestion - would never have thought of it. Not sure there are any lights on motherboard (but memory could be faulty)

The 24 pin and 8 pin should be connected. First time it failed to power it on I opened it up and the 4 pin part of the 20/4 pin connector was loose but I reseated it.

There is a very good chance the front panel connections are wrong as there is no motherboard manual and hard to find diagrams online for x51. I believe power switch should work even if + and - terminals are reversed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Usually the fans in the power supply with kick in for a second when you first connect the power cord. This happening?
    As Mark said - Any lights on the mobo?
    This might sound stupid but I've seen many people do it. Is the PSU turned on? A lot come with switch that needs to be turned on before it will work. It'll be pretty obvious but like I said, I've seen many forget about it.

Other than that, what PSU have you got and what case?
    Maybe take some pics of your board / connections / case wires so we can get a better look at whats going on.

In 20 years I've blown up one motherboard and one PSU and mullered a PCIe slot on another (the current one!). It's very difficult to knacker this stuff.

Go back to the components that were working previously and pop in new stuff one by one.

If you're mobile and really stuck you can pop over to me in Kilbarrack early next week and I'll happily take a look at it for you.

Edit +1 on photos!

• Advertisement

Thanks guys

PSU is EVGA 600W 80+ bought from Amazon . Case is Fractal Define S.

I'll post some pics tomorrow when I'm back home.

I did test with power supply button in both positions to be sure (unless there's another switch I missed?). No beep, no fan noise and no front panel lights (wasn't able to check mobo lights but will tomorrow).

The case and PSU are only new components. I mounted an SSD but didn't connect it yet and the new graphics card is still sitting in its box.

Mark, might take you up on your offer if I can't make any progress tomorrow. Travel not a problem for me. Much appreciated

Hi,

A quick update before bed. I got home and took off the case side panels so I could take a pic. I noticed the gfx card wasn't seated correctly and fixed that. Also, the CPU power connection. I then plugged the power cord in and pressed the power button.

The CPU fan spun for about a second and then stopped. A blue light flashed ever so briefly on the motherboard - and that was all. I couldn't see exactly where as it was obscured by the graphics card - seemed to be near the audio ports and CMOS battery.

I will remove graphics card and all front- panel connections except power tomorrow and see how that goes.

By the way - can I attach pics directly to posts here or do I need to host the pics online and provide a link?

Thanks again,

Knoggs

Press Post Reply or Go advanced. Use the paperclip icon and attach the pic.

I think maybe I can't because I don't have enough posts

Tried adding a URL from imagesshack and got a message saying I couldn't as I'm a new user

knoggs wrote: »
    I think maybe I can't because I don't have enough posts

Tried adding a URL from imagesshack and got a message saying I couldn't as I'm a new user

If you can PM me the links I'll post them for you - if you can PM! :pac:

• Advertisement

PM on its way - I hope!

BTW five will get you ten (before I look at the pics) that's a short so don't leave it plugged in and try not to cycle the pwer too much before you pull it out of the case.

5mF8qu.jpg

I can't work out whether that's a PCI or PCIe slot.

Top left cable looks disconnected.

How have you attached that rather funky looking motherboard to the case? Those screws look a bit suspect.

These yokes are behind the screws attaching the MB to the case?

1_standoff.jpg

Top left power cable is in 2 parts of 4 pins but the CPU power connection only needs 4 so you're seeing the spare 4 that is loose

The mobo is ITX sized and I have it resting on 4 spacers/risers that I got with the case and then screwed it in at the 4 corners

Did you leave any stand offs behind the MB that aren't being used?

It is an unusual motherboard but plenty of other people have moved it into regular cases. Seems the only issue is a warning upon booting up because there is a sensor looking for connection to the power board that I no longer have.

Of course, my effort hasn't gone quite as well as others have :-(

I don't believe I left any unused standoffs - will be able to confirm tomorrow when I remove the motherboard

What will I need to connect at a minimum when I take mobo out - everything or just power switch and the motherboard and CPU power connectors?

Test rig should be PSU connected to Mainboard, A monitor and keyboard. (CPU in obviously)

Try one RAM stick then the other then both try moving them between slots. Hook up a power switch if you can, if not just short the two pins with a screw driver, be prepared to pull the plug out of the PSU if anything starts to go mental!

I really think this is a short and hopefully pulling it out you'll see something sticking up. It should be a fairly pain free process but you never know with prebuilts I'm afraid!

Another question is it me or is your board flexing in the middle?

• Advertisement

Haven't touched CPU or memory - they were already on the mobo and working fine in old case

Didn't see any flex but will check again in the morning

Was there a second board in your X51 case? Smaller than the first.

I read something about a second board and it being the main power distribution with some link between the two... I also have a massive headache and could be completely lala here.

Yes - the x51 has a separate power board for the external power brick. I've followed other people's who just moved the main board to a new case and attached a new power supply. Lots of people have done it - you don't need the power board in new case with new PSU

Just tried booting with the motherboard external to the case. Only connected the motherboard power, CPU power and hdmi to display.

The CPU fan started and then the board started emitting a series of 5 short beeps with a small interval between. Did not POST

5 short beeps is process failure. As in, the CPU is dead...

Try taking the CPU out and re-seating it, maybe clean it up and get a bit of paste.

Actually I'd go from scratch. Disconnect and re-seat everything carefully. Everything. CPU / RAM / Any cables.

Ram-wise, only use one stick. If at first that doesn't work, swap the same stick into a different slot. If that doesn't work, try a different stick in either slot.

Could it be CMOS battery related?

CMOS errors show on screen. Wouldn't stop it from booting.

edited my post above with a few things.

Tried manually resetting cmos per Dell website but no dice

I think I'm screwed. I don't have thermal paste and I definitely don't feel comfortable messing around with CPUs. I've already messed up the easy bits - don't feel like tackling anything more complicated.

Thanks for your assistance and patience, by the way, I really do appreciate it

• Advertisement

I'll test out the ram though - why not?

Advertisement