Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! LC Chemistry '16 HL - Before and after ...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 louisoc

LordHypnos wrote: »
    I'd say it will be marked roughly given the generally good reaction to the paper

****e

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Why can't they just give the bell curve the finger and stick to the marking scheme, would make things so much simpler ugh

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Seaaan wrote: »
    Why can't they just give the bell curve the finger and stick to the marking scheme, would make things so much simpler ugh

a teacher once told me they can only give out so many A's. I wonder if that's still the case and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭onlinenerd

I would say there might be schools with no As and schools with loads of As so it kinda equalises the marking

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

a teacher once told me they can only give out so many A's. I wonder if that's still the case and why?

Yeah that's still the case. It's the bell curve. Only a certain percentage of students can get As etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

No the bell curve is to ensure that roughly the same number of people get the same number of grades each year. Say for example the 2016 paper was easy and the 2015 paper was hard. Well then anyone could come and complain that they would have scored better a different year and that it wouldn't be fair. That's why the bell curve is there. If the paper is hard, the marking scheme is easier and vice versa. This way people would score roughly the same result regardless of what year they sit it. It's to ensure every year is of the same "difficulty" overall.

By an easier paper, I mean that people scored better overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    No the bell curve is to ensure that roughly the same number of people get the same number of grades each year. Say for example the 2016 paper was easy and the 2015 paper was hard. Well then anyone could come and complain that they would have scored better a different year and that it wouldn't be fair. That's why the bell curve is there. If the paper is hard, the marking scheme is easier and vice versa. This way people would score roughly the same result regardless of what year they sit it. It's to ensure every year is of the same "difficulty" overall.

By an easier paper, I mean that people scored better overall.

thanks for clarifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

anyone know why the inside of the paper was white and not pink?

That just happens to be the case for a few of the papers. I believe that it is particularly prominent in papers that have a lot of photos/diagrams in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭medhopeful16

Seaaan wrote: »

I completely agree. You'd think that they would be delighted they have a particularly intelligent year but instead they take marks off of us. I have a feeling we're going to be marked hard in every paper this year(except bio). The general consensus in my school was that everything was fairly easy which worries the s*** out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

I completely agree. You'd think that they would be delighted they have a particularly intelligent year but instead they take marks off of us. I have a feeling we're going to be marked hard in every paper this year(except bio). The general consensus in my school was that everything was fairly easy which worries the s*** out of me.

They can't just give everyone A1s and 625 points like, how would 3rd level places be allocated then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Yeah most were fairly easy except bio.. At the same time I'm feeling a B1 in it :D

Let's just hope I deserved that A2 so..

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭pleindespoir

I get random nightmares about Chemistry.

I've never failed an exam and I'm ****ting about chemistry.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

I get random nightmares about Chemistry.

I've never failed an exam and I'm ****ting about chemistry.

There is nothing you can do about it now. Put it behind you, forget about it and enjoy the summer

Advertisement