Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! LC Chemistry '16 HL - Before and after ...

Options
  • 16-06-2016 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey guys, I was just wondering would it be safe to leave out the experiments that were asked in last years paper, same goes for the Q5 (Bohr&Rutherford exp) ?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

Gonna skim over the stuff that came up last year but wouldn't skip it

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangdiggy

lc16_ wrote: »
    Hey guys, I was just wondering would it be safe to leave out the experiments that were asked in last years paper, same goes for the Q5 (Bohr&Rutherford exp) ?

Thanks!

Since it's a new examiner she might decide to put up something from last year(maybe, you never know) so I'd say know it

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭TMJM96

Not a LC Chem student but...

Don't "skip" topics that showed up last year, skim over it as a minimum. The SEC like repeating topics, especially if it was answered poorly the previous year.

I am soo scared for the experiments no matter how much time I do them, I always forget (organic expt)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

I'm betting the clove oil experiment will come up because they added a new part to it last year that's never been tested yet.

• Advertisement

I'm betting the clove oil experiment will come up because they added a new part to it last year that's never been tested yet.

what part do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 cuprugby333

That new part being?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

That new part being?

Isolating the clove oil from the emulsion by solvent extraction is new. Before, we just had to know how to extract clove oil from cloves by steam distillation.

That new part being?

The first part is getting the clove oil and collecting the white emulsion.

the second part is separating the clove oil and the steam using liquid-liquid extraction with cyclohexane

The first part is getting the clove oil and collecting the white emulsion.

the second part is separating the clove oil and the steam using liquid-liquid extraction with cyclohexane

Oh right I didn't know that was only added this year. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

Oh right I didn't know that was newly added. Thanks

Not only that but they took out a few experiments as well. My book is quite old, so I'm not sure which experiments I need not bother learning :/

luftmensch wrote: »
    Not only that but they took out a few experiments as well. My book is quite old, so I'm not sure which experiments I need not bother learning :/

I do titrations and organic Chem exp and generally avoid the q3s so can't help you there. But I think I have an updated book if the liquid-liquid cyclohexane extraction is in it

Are any of ye doing the option?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Does anyone know the answer to this question from my mock? I know it's probably a simple answer, I just can't get my head around what they're asking and my book isn't helping: "Name the series of coloured lines in the line emission spectrum of hydrogen corresponding to transitions of electrons from higher energy levels to the second energy level"

emersyn wrote: »
    Does anyone know the answer to this question from my mock? I know it's probably a simple answer, I just can't get my head around what they're asking and my book isn't helping: "Name the series of coloured lines in the line emission spectrum of hydrogen corresponding to transitions of electrons from higher energy levels to the second energy level"

Balmer series I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

For anyone wondering, here's a quick guide to the changes to the chemistry course:

http://www.gillmacmillan.ie/AcuCustom/Sitename/DAM/060/LSMS_Chemistry_Changes_to_the_Experimental_Work.pdf

emersyn wrote: »

I had the same pre, it's Banner series

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

predictions on what organic exp. will come up? reckon clove oil has a good chance as pseudorachel said on the previous page.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

EDIT: I just checked the curriculum and it appears that the Balmer series is the only one you need to know the name of.

I'm not too familiar with the Chemistry curriculum as I didn't do it for LC, but if an electron moves from a higher level to the 1st one, it's called the Lymann Series (produces UV light), higher level to 2nd level is called the Balmer Series (produces visible light), and higher to 3rd is called the Paschen Series (produces Infrared light).

series.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

Are any of ye doing the option?

I'm doing atmospheric and the one about the factory in.. Uh.. The one that makes the furnace linings (I can't even remember what is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭juniorcert

Anyone else dreading this? Chemistry's by far my worst subject and it's my last test as well so probably going to end the leaving cert on a down note

• Registered Users Posts: 14 lc16_

Section A; (experiments my teacher has predicted)

Q1) Iron Tablets
    Ethanoic Acid
    Or Ethene/Ethyne

Q2) Clove oil
    EDTA

Q3) Rates of reaction; hydrogen peroxide
    Heat of nuetralisation
    Anion tests

P.S. Can Le Chatelier's Principle exp come up in Section A?

juniorcert wrote: »
    Anyone else dreading this? Chemistry's by far my worst subject and it's my last test as well so probably going to end the leaving cert on a down note

Its my last exam too. It'll be hard to stay concentrated for the full 3 hours knowing its the last one but just remember it'll be all over after that so give it your all :)
    You've got plenty of time between now & Tuesday to polish up on the definitions, theory & calculations so dont be dreading it, you'll be grand :p

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

I have two more exams after Chemistry :o I'm on a week-long break from Wednesday to next Tuesday, then four exams in four days, can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

Q1) Iron Tablets
    Ethanoic Acid
    Or Ethene/Ethyne

Q2) Clove oil
    EDTA

Heat of nuetralisation
    Anion tests

I'm assuming that's the acid base titration for ethanoic acid and not the organic preparation of ethanoic acid since that's off the course.

doubt Le Chatelier would come up in section a but I would expect equilibrium to feature somewhere on the paper

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

I mean there's nothing to say it can't but it's been reduced from three tests to one now and I really don't think there's enough for it to come up in A, but I'd say it'll be a part of the equilibrium long question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 alaandocs

Q1) Iron Tablets
    Ethanoic Acid
    Or Ethene/Ethyne

Q2) Clove oil
    EDTA

Heat of nuetralisation
    Anion tests

Ethene/ethyne won't come up in Q1 as its organic. It might have a chance in q.2 or somewhere else on the paper. Same with EDTA, it won't come up in q.2 but might in q.1.

The Le Chateliers exp. would probably be in section B as it has never come up in section A along with the redox ones but bits have in section B. That's not saying that this year will be the same they could put them in if they wanted, you wouldn't know.

alaandocs wrote: »
    Ethene/ethyne won't come up in Q1 as its organic. It might have a chance in q.2 or somewhere else on the paper. Same with EDTA, it won't come up in q.2 but might in q.1.

The Le Chateliers exp. would probably be in section B as it has never come up in section A along with the redox ones but bits have in section B. That's not saying that this year will be the same they could put them in if they wanted, you wouldn't know.

yeah, I got ethyne, ethene & EDTA mixed up in the questions! Thanks :p

And alright, cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

emersyn wrote:

Higher to 2nd is Balmer
    Higher to 1st is Lymen
    Higher to 3rd is Paschen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hurler97

lc16_ wrote:

Yes it can and it would more than likely appear on Q3

Advertisement