Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - Games only discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Venom wrote: »
    That was not a game reveal/teaser as his new company is still sourcing game engines but more a fcuk you to Konami.

Norman Reedus is featured due to being the face of the now cancelled PT.
    The character was shown to be free of handcuffs just like Kojima is now.
    The baby vanishing was him getting kicked off the MGS team and the franchise he created.
    The five figures floating in the air were previous MGS titles.
    The slime on the characters hands is Konami ****ting on much love franchises by using them on slot machines.

I'm sure there is more symbolism in it but that's all I can recall from memory :)

Do the crabs symbolise an STD the character picked up on whatever ship he was washed up from? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I shot a hell of a lot of Zombies in it... I mean infected.

It might have been a well done zombie story but there were still zombies in it.

Again, I agree they were essentially zombies, and if you were describing the game to anyone, you'd say they were zombies.

But by calling them something different and giving a different reason behind it it allowed them to make differences to what most people would generally consider zombie stuff. How differences between Runners, Clickers and Bloaters affect gameplay. Whereas with zombies, you just tend to have zombies.

Likewise with what looks to be the case with Days Gone, by having the zombies technically be still alive (rather than typical zombie where you either have to pelt them with bullets or get a headshot), one or two body shots will take them down. That would offset the number of zombies you have to face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

What I liked about the infected in The Last of Us was that they were based off a real virus, rather than some research gone wrong crap that most games use.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Anyword about the games footage we seen of Days Gone, was it from the PS4 or the PS4 Neo.

I really like the look of it but I am nervous that it could be PS4 Neo footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

More than likely dev kit PC footage like most E3 demos.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Shuhei Yoshida said all games were running on Standard PS4

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/743108490315452416

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Which is probably a bit of a mistruth anyway. "On a PC which we approximate (badly) to have the same power as a standard ps4" is probably more accurate. :p

Nothing shown at the Sony conference made me think it wasn't just a PS4. The games looked good, but not such mind-blowing graphics that you'd think it was anything but a PS4. Particularly having played Uncharted 4 recently and seeing what it's capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That's Naughty Dog though. They are better than nearly everyone else. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Penn wrote: »
    They had a gameplay demo at the end of the show

Basically
    w7XEQ3c.gif

I love Zombie games/films etc and I think that would be a lot of fun at the start but would get very boring very quickly.

After E3 to be honest once the Neo launches I think I'll pick up a second hand PS4 so I can finally play Bloodborne and give a few other games a blast :)

I'll also get a Scorpio at launch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

we happy few looks interesting, but hard to know how it'll maintain that momentum through a full campaign. I get a big Bioshock inifinite vibe off it, but that game wore thin after a few hours as well.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I love Zombie games/films etc and I think that would be a lot of fun at the start but would get very boring very quickly.

After E3 to be honest once the Neo launches I think I'll pick up a second hand PS4 so I can finally play Bloodborne and give a few other games a blast :)

I'll also get a Scorpio at launch.

Aw man, you need to get on Dying light immediately!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,883 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Aw man, you need to get on Dying light immediately!

I will get it :) just playing the Witcher 3 now so I'll pick it up before I'm finished that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

we happy few looks interesting, but hard to know how it'll maintain that momentum through a full campaign. I get a big Bioshock inifinite vibe off it, but that game wore thin after a few hours as well.

I saw the trailer and thought it looked interesting. But the game itself is a survival roguelike, so very, very doubtful it'll be able to offer any narrative momentum in the long term.

The idea of having to 'conform' in an environment is a really intriguing idea, but sadly the gameplay looks pretty uninspired with clunky melee and a heavy emphasis on looting and crafting. The maps also look super drab - partially to make a thematic point, but lacking the strong world building seen in the intro sequence.

Hopefully it hides something more interesting, and can marry its promising themes with a game that does them justice.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Benzino wrote: »
    What I liked about the infected in The Last of Us was that they were based off a real virus, rather than some research gone wrong crap that most games use.

The science in Last of Us was astoundingly bad. But then there's two things about that, only certain people like me would have noticed, and most importantly, you should never let that stuff get in the way of a good narrative.

I've been a zombie nut for the best part of a decade, if not more, but it's getting tiring at this stage that they're in everything. It just feels like lazy storytelling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The science in Last of Us was astoundingly bad. But then there's two things about that, only certain people like me would have noticed, and most importantly, you should never let that stuff get in the way of a good narrative.

I'm not saying it was accurate or whatever, just that the use of cordyceps was nice to see imo, even if it's not realistic. Though I do find cordyceps to be damn interesting anyway.

Anyway, to go back on topic, I'm happy to see zombie games if they are good, that's the most important thing about any game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Interesting...
    YOU CAN SKIP ALL OF BREATH OF THE WILD’S STORY AND GO TO THE FINAL BOSS FROM THE START OF THE GAME

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/you-can-skip-all-of-breath-of-the-wilds-story-and-go-to-the-final-boss-from

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cormac... wrote: »

I'm getting the feeling Nintendo are taking a lot from Xenoblade Chronicles X... Including what suspiciously looks like the same engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I saw a bit of Angry Joe playing the new Deus Ex and it looked very average. Saying that, Joe was going full on kill mode which is the worst way to play it imo so probably wasn't the best portrayal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Anyword about the games footage we seen of Days Gone, was it from the PS4 or the PS4 Neo.

I really like the look of it but I am nervous that it could be PS4 Neo footage.

Sony have came out and said that all their PSVR Demos are running on the original PS4 and not on the Neo, so it wouldn't surprise me if this was actually on the stock PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭Doge

Just finished the RE7 demo there.
    Played it in the dark with headphones on.

Thought it would be scarier tbh and I completed it in 30 mins really taking my time. Felt it should have been longer.

The graphics are excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Why would you turn around and shoot max 10 zombies but let 30-50 get closer than they would have if you hadn't started shooting.

That's literally all I can think about when I think of that Sons Of Anarzombie game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Did Fromsoft have a stand at E3 or do we know what they are working on these days?

I've been a zombie nut for the best part of a decade, if not more, but it's getting tiring at this stage that they're in everything. It just feels like lazy storytelling now.

Agreed, and if anything, the good games can get lost it the muck. I'd entirely dismissed dying light and only gave it a go because of game sharing. Turns out its one of my favourite games of this console generation.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Why would you turn around and shoot max 10 zombies but let 30-50 get closer than they would have if you hadn't started shooting.

That's literally all I can think about when I think of that Sons Of Anarzombie game.

I'd say that was purely just to repeatedly show the number of zombies and how they move etc. When you're actually playing, it'll probably just be a case of running like f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Penn wrote: »
    I'd say that was purely just to repeatedly show the number of zombies and how they move etc. When you're actually playing, it'll probably just be a case of running like f*ck.

Ah yeah, I'm just being awkward. It did look insane the way they poured out, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I just wanted to point out a few games that I thought looked fantastic that probably haven't received much coverage.

I Am Setsuna

Basically a love letter to fans of the SNES JRPGs. I've heard some great impressions on this. The only disappointment is that it's not coming out on Vita in the west. Seems like a perfect fit for it. It's coming out on PS4 everywhere along with Vita in Japan.

Manifold Garden

From what I could tell, this game seems to be a puzzle game where like the witness, you can go anywhere. The art is really cool. Easy Allies had footage of the game (Youtube video isn't up yet) and it looked so good I thought.

Aragami

Inspired by Tenchu. Enough said.

There are a few others like Kingdom Come Deliverance but I honestly wouldn't even know where to start with it.

Word is Dead Rising 4 isn't exactly exclusive. Could be timed.

https://twitter.com/CapcomVancouver/status/743524640866213888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Word is Dead Rising 4 isn't exactly exclusive. Could be timed.

https://twitter.com/CapcomVancouver/status/743524640866213888?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw
    Only for a year it seems.

On the subject of Manifold Garden, I've been following the development of that game for years. It appeared on TIGForums back in late 2013 under the name Relativity and he's documented his work on it since. May be of interest to some folk.

Advertisement