Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E3 2016 - Games only discussion

Options
  • 15-06-2016 8:43pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭

A thread to exclusively discuss the games and software shown at E3.

General thread here, which also includes hardware chat: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057598706

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Biggest surprise for me was the trailer for Days Gone. Trailer was absolutely fantastic. Gameplay could be very hit and miss though. The sheer number of enemies (I'm guessing zombies or other type of "infected") meant that full blast assault rifle barely made a dent, unless you shoot a red barrel. That being said, the weight of them collapsed a timber walkway, so if there's more stuff like that where you're really relying on the environment to take chunks out of the number of enemies and the gun is more just to slow them down or take out smaller groups, could balance the gameplay out really well.

No other new games apart from South Park really took my interest though. God of War might be okay but would need to see more of it. Death Stranding, didn't see enough of really to comment but hopeful it could be something good. Trailer for it was class. Steep from Ubisoft might be a bit of fun but also might be kinda bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

What games are people looking forward to that are actually released this year?

For me, I'm looking forward to Recore, Mafia 3, Gears of War 4, Sea of Thieves, Forza Horizon 3, maybe Dead Rising 4. Inside looks interesting, I'll keep an eye on it. But MOST of all, Battlefield 1!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Looking forward to Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord but it doesn't have a release date yet unfortunately. I really enjoyed the first game and this one seems to be a massive improvement in all areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Penn wrote: »
    Death Stranding, didn't see enough of really to comment but hopeful it could be something good. Trailer for it was class. Steep from Ubisoft might be a bit of fun but also might be kinda bland.

That was not a game reveal/teaser as his new company is still sourcing game engines but more a fcuk you to Konami.

Norman Reedus is featured due to being the face of the now cancelled PT.
    The character was shown to be free of handcuffs just like Kojima is now.
    The baby vanishing was him getting kicked off the MGS team and the franchise he created.
    The five figures floating in the air were previous MGS titles.
    The slime on the characters hands is Konami ****ting on much love franchises by using them on slot machines.

I'm sure there is more symbolism in it but that's all I can recall from memory :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

I'm looking forward to
    Mafia 3 - looks the business
    Gears 4 - dakka dakka and more dakka
    Dead Rising 4
    DoW 3 - for the Emperor!
    CoD - screw the haters but that gameplay demo looked fun :)
    Recore - A big maybe as the games original reveal and what was shown this week look vastly different to each other.
    Battlefield 1 maybe! Have a nasty feeling it will be as disappointing as Star Wars Battlefront and nickel and dimed to ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Venom wrote: »
    Battlefield 1 maybe! Have a nasty feeling it will be as disappointing as Star Wars Battlefront and nickel and dimed to ****.

The 45min of live gameplay makes it live up to all my expectations so far and even more!

Off topic but just noticed your boards join date, 1998 :eek: I don't think I even had internet back in '98 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,117 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

The Last Guardian is going to be amazing. Only 4 months to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

MiskyBoyy wrote: »

We Happy Few is by far the one I'm most excited for, I adore the whole 60's retro-futurism, and it reminds me of The Prisoner somewhat. I've had my eye on it since the Kickstarter campaign, and Jim Sterling's video on it in early development last year, but the new video for it was magnificently intriguing. It just stands head and shoulders above everything else shown at E3 for me.

Dishonored 2 goes without saying, considering how much I adored the first game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,541 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Last Guardian and Zelda for me, both look amazing and each is a reason to own the respective consoles.
    Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are two of the best games of both the host gen, PS2, and the remastered gen, PS3.
    The Legend of Zelda series has consistently been rated as the best in it's genre on any system, in each generation it's released, and this upcoming WiiU/NX title seems no different, but adding considerably to what had become a winning formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

We Happy Few and Dishonoured 2 are the only games that sparked my interest at E3. Have to say myself, this has been the worst E3 yet. Console Gen 8 is just a major disaster compared to the same period in Gen 7, it's just sequel after sequel and remasters. No new IPs pushing the limit.

Just nothing new and interesting, it's all been there done that unless you are into the current VR fad. Res 7 looked interesting but it's not Res anymore, it's something different. That's a good and bad thing imo as 6 lost it's way and we have Res 2 remaster coming.

• Advertisement

Links234 wrote: »
    We Happy Few is by far the one I'm most excited for, I adore the whole 60's retro-futurism, and it reminds me of The Prisoner somewhat. I've had my eye on it since the Kickstarter campaign, and Jim Sterling's video on it in early development last year, but the new video for it was magnificently intriguing. It just stands head and shoulders above everything else shown at E3 for me.

Dishonored 2 goes without saying, considering how much I adored the first game.

Really liking the look of We Happy Few, the start of the gameplay footage they showed could have been of a game of 1984, guy has the exact same job too and the equipment he used like the tubes to put the censored articles in etc are very similar to how that was described in the book.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Days Gone I thought looked kind of terrible. So sick of the whole Zombie thing and this didn't look to really add anything new.

We Happy Few looks good, but it's also made by the people that made Contrast which looked good but was kind of meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,183 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Days Gone I thought looked kind of terrible. So sick of the whole Zombie thing and this didn't look to really add anything new.

We Happy Few looks good, but it's also made by the people that made Contrast which looked good but was kind of meh.

Thought shooting the zombies looked terrible - they just flopped in front of him - didn't seem to be any bullet impact. The flood of zombies looked initially impressive but they way they all just fell, very quickly, to the gun fire made it a bit weak.

Didn't realise that but it's obvious now that you've said it. Contrast has some nice ideas but yeah it was 'meh'

Detroit Become Human looks good - kind of like Deus Ex meets LA Noire.

Detroit Become Human looks good - kind of like Deus Ex meets LA Noire.

I'm skeptical, mainly because of Heavy Rain (You're a 60 year old Chief of Police, tie your own goddamn tie!), but it does look pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thought shooting the zombies looked terrible - they just flopped in front of him - didn't seem to be any bullet impact. The flood of zombies looked initially impressive but they way they all just fell, very quickly, to the gun fire made it a bit weak.

It really seems like a one trick pony game. If they just base the whole game around the horde of zombies thing it will get boring fast even if the game is open world and reactive rather than scripted. The demo looked quite scripted to me.

Yeah like I said, it's going to take some feat to balance gunplay/environment/number of enemies. From what I read in an interview, the enemies aren't zombies, they're technically fully alive. As such, I'd imagine a bullet or two would floor them quicker than your typical zombie (eg. shot to the heart or lungs could kill them just as easy as typical zombie headshot)

Was it a zombie game? I didn't watch any of the gameplay footage of Days Gone, but it seemed more like the Road/general post-apocalyptic based on the teaser trailer I did watch.

Was it a zombie game? I didn't watch any of the gameplay footage of Days Gone, but it seemed more like the Road/general post-apocalyptic based on the teaser trailer I did watch.

They had a gameplay demo at the end of the show

Basically
    w7XEQ3c.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Days Gone looked class at first and had me wishing I had a PS4.....until the zombies showed up. Never really liked Zombies in games but its being done to death at this stage.

Oh right, there they are.

Huh, that's really disappointing. I'd love to see a post apocalyptic game, especially one based in the universe of Cormac McCarthy's The Road, or at least similar, where sh1t just happened and that sh1t wasn't dead/infected people.

Edit:

Or better still, Book of Eli, which is more shooty shooty, stabby stabby, killy killy and would definitely suit a video game perfectly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im looking forward to titanfall 2, I enjoyed the first one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Oh Jim! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

I'm looking forward to Days Gone, I like good zombie games and there aren't that many good ones imo (I'm still hoping for a L4D 3).
    I'll second Titanfall 2 as well, really enjoyed the first one. I hope the single player doesn't distract them too much from the MP though.
    Persona 5 has me very interested, that UI is ridiculous and the cost of the game will be worth it for that alone!
    Being a while since I last played a Battlefield game, but think that will change with Battlefield 1, looks excellent.
    Mafia 3 has me very interested, but the more I see, the less it looks like a Mafia game which is disappointing.
    Horizon Zero Dawn looks great, but I'm cautious cause it's Guerilla. They've never made a great game imo.
    Finally, great to see The Last Guardian has a release date, though my expectations are not high at this stage :(

I've nothing but high hopes for Persona 5. Atlus have been pumping out the best RPG's over the last ten years and I don't see that stopping with Persona 5.
    Penn wrote: »
    From what I read in an interview, the enemies aren't zombies, they're technically fully alive.

This muck again. Just like the Last of Us arguing it's not a zombie game because they are 'infected'. A rose by any other name...

Last of Us wasn't a zombie game though. Not really.

This muck again. Just like the Last of Us arguing it's not a zombie game because they are 'infected'. A rose by any other name...

Oh yeah, the first thing anyone thinks with such enemies is "zombie". But saying it's something different allows for narrative and enemy design differences. Like The Last of Us allowed for different types/classes of infected with different strengths/weaknesses whereas zombies are just zombies. It also meant narratively they could introduce other aspects to it (spores, tracking you by sound rather than sight etc)

• Advertisement

I shot a hell of a lot of Zombies in it... I mean infected.

It might have been a well done zombie story but there were still zombies in it.

Advertisement