Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭nintendoo

The Nal wrote: »
    Im 30 or 40 hours in and only on divine beast one. I do need more hearts. Still only have 4.

Ah is that how the map reveals itself? Mines still a big dark mess

Yep, go for the towers and the shrines you find along the way... the map will reveal itself + you'll starting getting a lot more hearts. You can then start warping from towers and shrines all over the world map. Don't forget you can wrap before you e.g. crash into the ground or stuff is getting out of hand ! :)

If anything I'd prolong the searching of the world for as a long as possible. Once I finished the end boss, I kinda lost interest.

Well that's if you have the time right now :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I've said it before & elsewhere, but this was the game that broke Skyrim for me; the latter had implanted a form of gaming Stockholm Syndrome within me, a presumption that Open World games were buggy, janky messes by necessity and dint of the scale & massive amount of content in them. It's just how they were.

Then Breath of the Wild came along and showed that actually, a vast & rich Open World game could work perfectly well without issue. Now, perhaps there's not quite as much "content" in BOTW as something like Skyrim, but even smaller Bethesda worlds are/were prone to utter jank. BOTW is just a fantastic, richer experience; less "stuff", but a greater sense of place & purpose in simply wandering the world. All its mechanics are beautifully put together and systemic, making experiences feel more authentic than Bethesda's "activate script 45b". Finding random little moments on the map is great - and hiding the map behind the Towers was a stroke of genius.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

You're correct about BotW's overall lack of bugs but one of the things that always impressed me with Oblivion and then Skyrim was that I could drop a sword I wasn't using in hour 3 and find it in the exact same spot in hour 187 when I find a quest that brings me back to the same cave/hill/tree I passed 184 hours previous. For all the bugs and jankiness there's still an incredible amount of technical prowess in Bethesda's epics. The fact it's only a little bit janky is in itself a massive achievement given the level of detail and number of in-game objects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So after reading a few posts on here I've temporarily abandoned Divine Beast 1 in favour of opening up the map. Planned to do one tower last night and explore a few bits around that area and get to bed for midnight. 3 towers, 3 shrines and and load of running about it was 2.30am..... we all know that one.

The size of it when I opened up the 2nd tower genuinely shook me. What a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

So after reading a few posts on here I've temporarily abandoned Divine Beast 1 in favour of opening up the map. Planned to do one tower last night and explore a few bits around that area and get to bed for midnight. 3 towers, 3 shrines and and load of running about it was 2.30am..... we all know that one.

The size of it when I opened up the 2nd tower genuinely shook me. What a game.

Also, bear in mind, that with every Divine Beast you defeat, the enemies in the overworld get stronger to the point that you could be ambling along and encounter white Bokoblins and end up burning through most, if not all, of your weapons. The edges of the map are usually good places to find these strong enemies.

Rhyme wrote: »
    Also, bear in mind, that with every Divine Beast you defeat, the enemies in the overworld get stronger to the point that you could be ambling along and encounter white Bokoblins and end up burning through most, if not all, of your weapons. The edges of the map are usually good places to find these strong enemies.

Aha! Yeah think Ill defo spend a while more going about random business before I start ploughing through the beasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Aha! Yeah think Ill defo spend a while more going about random business before I start ploughing through the beasts.

There's one of the divine beasts in particular that gives you an ability that makes traversing parts of the map a lot easier... Won't say much, but if you want that, it's the one to the west of the map.

Star Lord wrote: »
    There's one of the divine beasts in particular that gives you an ability that makes traversing parts of the map a lot easier... Won't say much, but if you want that, it's the one to the west of the map.

I usually get that one, then do my exploring and pick up the other three at my leisure.

Rhyme wrote: »
    I usually get that one, then do my exploring and pick up the other three at my leisure.

How many times have you played through BOTW ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Currently on my third playthrough... :D
    First normal, second master mode, third normal, just enjoying it again!

nintendoo wrote: »
    How many times have you played through BOTW ?

I've done one exhaustive play through, getting everything except all of the Korok Seeds and every few months I start a new file and see how far I get before another game comes along. I think I've beaten the game 3 times but have started it... 7 times maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭blockfighter

I've beaten the game but I've done so little of what the game has to offer i don't think I'll ever start a new save. Still have about 40 shrines to find, plenty of open quests waiting to be completed, plenty of characters to meet. And I've put in about 130 hours or more into it. Haven't played it in over a year but I love seeing people talking about it and sharing things they've done and seen. Epic game!

Have a few more shrines to find.
    Think about 150 hours in total.
    2 playthroughs including the champions ballad DLC (which is great).
    Need to try master mode.
    Need to try that trial of the sword thingy.

I would be amazed if BOTW2 could be as good as BOTW1. But I hope they can do this.

Hoping it's not too dark. The world is too depressing at the moment for some Majora's Mask like scenario !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Does the game end when you defeat Ganon, or is it like Skyrim where the world continues? I'm presuming it ends given it has a tighter and more focused storyline to it? Just wondering if it's worth chasing quests and whatnot and when to divert to take on Calamity Jane... uh, Ganon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

pixelburp wrote: »
    Does the game end when you defeat Ganon, or is it like Skyrim where the world continues? I'm presuming it ends given it has a tighter and more focused storyline to it? Just wondering if it's worth chasing quests and whatnot and when to divert to take on Calamity Jane... uh, Ganon.

It restarts, just at the point before you fight Ganon. You can never traverse through a Ganon-free world, I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Just got my 500th korok on master mode. I think I have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

nintendoo wrote: »
    I would be amazed if BOTW2 could be as good as BOTW1. But I hope they can do this.

I kind of disagree here. BOTW is amazing, but it's not without it's fault's. The world itself is the star of the show obviously. But the storyline and voice acting was fairly meh in my opinion. Also i wasn't too impressed with the sidequests and minigames- a lot of them just felt like filler material and were pretty uninspiring. I think more could be done in terms of boss battles. None of the 5 dungeon bosses - Ganon included - were particularly memorable for me. So i'm very interested to see what they do. They have the assets in place, so more time will be spent on the areas i mentioned i hope. BOTW was all about the world and discovery and doing it whichever way you pleased. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the storyline in the sequel, i have a feeling they may go down the route of alternate storylines depending on what decisions you make in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

manual_man wrote: »
    I kind of disagree here. BOTW is amazing, but it's not without it's fault's. The world itself is the star of the show obviously. But the storyline and voice acting was fairly meh in my opinion. Also i wasn't too impressed with the sidequests and minigames- a lot of them just felt like filler material and were pretty uninspiring. I think more could be done in terms of boss battles. None of the 5 dungeon bosses - Ganon included - were particularly memorable for me. So i'm very interested to see what they do. They have the assets in place, so more time will be spent on the areas i mentioned i hope. BOTW was all about the world and discovery and doing it whichever way you pleased. It'll be interesting to see how they tackle the storyline in the sequel, i have a feeling they may go down the route of alternate storylines depending on what decisions you make in the game.

I would like to believe that you are on to something here, but my experience to sequels of amazing games has always disappointed. To make one of the best games ever and then to make the sequel better is almost impossible.

They will try to recreate the magic by changing very little. I am preparing myself for something about as good as BotW. That way I hope to be presently surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

manual_man wrote: »
    I kind of disagree here. BOTW is amazing, but it's not without it's fault's. The world itself is the star of the show obviously. But the storyline and voice acting was fairly meh in my opinion. Also i wasn't too impressed with the sidequests and minigames- a lot of them just felt like filler material and were pretty uninspiring. I think more could be done in terms of boss battles.

Finally, I can come out of the woodwork without being lynched.....I 100% agree with this. On a technical level, BotW is nothing short of a masterpiece. As someone said previously, Nintendo seriously knocked it outta the park with this game. They created a world that's sewn together so tightly and flawlessly, that it's a game changer....very few can deny that.

But....for me, the game only truly shone, and showed glimpses of what it could have been, when I was handling the Divine Beasts. I was gutted they broke with tradition in terms of dungeons, to favor an open world filled with side quests and non essential adventures. I know I'm in the minority here, but I have very little time for games that are open world, side quests, and the like. I far prefered Zelda games as a linear, more focused experience.

I'm playing through Twilight Princess HD at the moment (for the first time in my case), and while it hasn't got the best reputation as a Zelda game, it is soooo nice to get back to a linear, focused, dungeon based Zelda game. Again, BotW is a technical masterpiece, it's just not to my taste as a Zelda game...the lack of dungeons absolutely kills it for me, and endless wandering, exploring, shrines, side quests etc just highlight the absence of what made the Zelda series special for me.
    nedd wrote: »
    but my experience to sequels of amazing games has always disappointed. To make one of the best games ever and then to make the sequel better is almost impossible.

Nintendo have almost always released masterpiece after masterpiece when it comes to Zelda. Look at the lineage, The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds...and so on...plus these are just the big hits, there's others that are still amazing.

I don't think they'll keep the next Zelda as a BotW clone....that's not really how Ninty operate. They'll find yet another way to keep raising the bar. I don't see them returning to a linear style adventure, but I'd love to think they'll go back to a more dungeon based approach, rather than the exploration based side questing that BotW gave us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'd like an Ocarina style of dungeons maybe go the time related system of making these dungeons from past Zelda games trying to stop Ganon in his tracks it could create a difinitive verified timeline incorporating Zelda 2 where Princess Zelda needs to be woken up as the finale that way we might find out who da fudge Error is finally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    Nintendo have almost always released masterpiece after masterpiece when it comes to Zelda. Look at the lineage, The Legend of Zelda, A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, The Wind Waker, A Link Between Worlds, Skyward Sword: NOT YOU!...and so on...plus these are just the big hits, there's others that are still amazing.

fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,413 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

If there's one thing we can be sure of for BOTW2, no matter how much we cheer him on, Link will end the game as blue balled as ever.

Having played Ocarina maybe 20 times start to finish, I'm loving the exploration in BOTW. Haven't done a boss yet and am no rush to. Just opening up the map, doing shrines, getting sidetracked etc. And Im 70 hours or so in.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Having played Ocarina maybe 20 times start to finish, I'm loving the exploration in BOTW. Haven't done a boss yet and am no rush to. Just opening up the map, doing shrines, getting sidetracked etc. And Im 70 hours or so in.

Close to 70 hours myself.

Nearly 40 shrines done and have progressed to the battle part of 3 of the 4 main bosses. It is so addictive. Will spend some time now concentrating on the side objectives.

Managed a 3 in the golf challenge!

Close to 70 hours myself.

Nearly 40 shrines done and have progressed to the battle part of 3 of the 4 main bosses. It is so addictive. Will spend some time now concentrating on the side objectives.

Managed a 3 in the golf challenge!

Aiming the statis is one of the things Im finding most difficult in the game.

Aiming the statis is one of the things Im finding most difficult in the game.

Particularly difficult on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Particularly difficult on PC
    The accelerometer based puzzles are a nightmare in the emulator holding down the mouse button, thankfully theres only a few. I beat a couple of them just by getting p1ssed off and flinging the ball off screen only for it to bounce back into the hole.

Thargor wrote: »
    The accelerometer based puzzles are a nightmare in the emulator holding down the mouse button, thankfully theres only a few. I beat a couple of them just by getting p1ssed off and flinging the ball off screen only for it to bounce back into the hole.

Ha same. I got my android phone working with it but it was still difficult enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭Inviere

Thargor wrote: »
    Ha same. I got my android phone working with it but it was still difficult enough.

Mice? Phones? Lads..... - https://github.com/Davidobot/BetterJoyForCemu

Advertisement