Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Legend Of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Options
1114115117119120122

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon


    Just started this a few days ago and I do not know why I waited so long since I have a switch nearly 2 years.

    Do you get better weapons later on? No level system so it must be better weapons. Rain seems to always start when climbing and don't get me started on the cold so annoying. It is a bit difficult not overly hard but tricky at times trying to deal with the cold or weapons breaking after only a few hits. I managed to beat the dragon on top of the mountain in the third area it was difficult trying to manage the cold. I got a side mission to clear out some trolls on the beach nearby the same mountain and not ordinary trolls, these feckers are pretty tough died a few times and called it a day. I will go back maybe tomorrow evening.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Just started this a few days ago and I do not know why I waited so long since I have a switch nearly 2 years.

    Do you get better weapons later on? No level system so it must be better weapons. Rain seems to always start when climbing and don't get me started on the cold so annoying. It is a bit difficult not overly hard but tricky at times trying to deal with the cold or weapons breaking after only a few hits. I managed to beat the dragon on top of the mountain in the third area it was difficult trying to manage the cold. I got a side mission to clear out some trolls on the beach nearby the same mountain and not ordinary trolls, these feckers are pretty tough died a few times and called it a day. I will go back maybe tomorrow evening.
    Stick with it, you'll be an addict in a few days. Although if you've just started and just beat that dragon you must have taken a slightly different path to most people, cold can be managed with good clothes but also an easy way to do it is to
    have a flame weapon on your back, it keeps you warm
    :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon


    Thargor wrote: »
    Stick with it, you'll be an addict in a few days. Although if you've just started and just beat that dragon you must have taken a slightly different path to most people, cold can be managed with good clothes but also an easy way to do it is to
    have a flame weapon on your back, it keeps you warm
    :D

    Good tip but I don't have any fire weapons yet. It was difficult I may add beating that dragon due to the cold. I just cleared out every apple and mushroom I could find. I actually went up first and died went back to older save cleared that village nearby of the tonne of apples in trees they have and kept eating them to stay alive.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,924 ✭✭✭✭Thargor


    Good tip but I don't have any fire weapons yet. It was difficult I may add beating that dragon due to the cold. I just cleared out every apple and mushroom I could find. I actually went up first and died went back to older save cleared that village nearby of the tonne of apples in trees they have and kept eating them to stay alive.
    Ah thats too much of a pain in the ass and not sustainable long term, there is something thats practically a starting item that will help you avoid all that, a lot of people seemed to miss it, minor spoiler:

    https://primagames.com/tips/legend-zelda-breath-wild-how-stay-warm-find-warm-doublet#:~:text=First%20and%20foremost%2C%20there%20are,find%20yourself%20in%20a%20bind.


  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie


    The third world? I didn't free that dragon until close to the end of my game!


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord


    Thargor wrote: »
    Ah thats too much of a pain in the ass and not sustainable long term, there is something thats practically a starting item that will help you avoid all that, a lot of people seemed to miss it, minor spoiler:

    https://primagames.com/tips/legend-zelda-breath-wild-how-stay-warm-find-warm-doublet#:~:text=First%20and%20foremost%2C%20there%20are,find%20yourself%20in%20a%20bind.

    Another way to beat the cold is to cook recipes that give you cold resistance for a certain amount of time. Eg:
    throw 5 of the chillis into the pan for a great cold resistance boost


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    I never bothered with recipes in BOTW; not specific to that game either I just find crafting unbelievably tedious time-wasting in games generally. Definitely went with the clothing approach instead, felt more robust and lasting (though was a long while before I went anywhere near the cold regions).

    Damnit, all this talk makes me want to go for a wander: it's a great game just for dawdling about. It's a pity there's no mod scene ala something like Skyrim to really push out the world's potential.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    pixelburp wrote: »
    I never bothered with recipes in BOTW; not specific to that game either I just find crafting unbelievably tedious time-wasting in games generally. Definitely went with the clothing approach instead, felt more robust and lasting (though was a long while before I went anywhere near the cold regions).

    Damnit, all this talk makes me want to go for a wander: it's a great game just for dawdling about. It's a pity there's no mod scene ala something like Skyrim to really push out the world's potential.

    Thought it was just me! Always end up with stack loads of raw materials in games with crafting. Find it so tedious and get no sense of accomplishment from doing it


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭The Nal


    xckjoo wrote: »
    Thought it was just me! Always end up with stack loads of raw materials in games with crafting. Find it so tedious and get no sense of accomplishment from doing it

    Its easy and handy though
    if youre passing a stable. Just chuck in anything "hearty" into the pot and cook it for an extra life basically.


  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097


    Five
    hearty durians
    in a pot or
    five mighty bananas in a pot
    - takes two seconds and gives a huge advantage. I also hate crafting but when I figured out how easy it is to make the best buffs I did it a lot more.


  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    The Nal wrote: »
    Its easy and handy though
    if youre passing a stable. Just chuck in anything "hearty" into the pot and cook it for an extra life basically.

    Easy yes, but time consuming, better spent exploring the world or mucking about. Can't speak to xckjoo's preferences, but I haaaaaaaate inventory management in any game. It's a big part of why I don't go near Survival games in the first place. The most I'll usually indulge is the simple rationale of "is item X better than the one equipped? If yes, equip". Doesn't matter how amazing a potion or crafted axe might be, I just can't abide all that fiddling; just breaks the core flow of any game IMO. Especially if the "creation" animation is a mostly un-skippable animation. No harm done if it's all optional, but it does mean I end up walking around with tonnes of stuff I never even look at.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake


    I've done loads of cooking in mine. some of them sell for good money to a noob
    I got stuck on some section where it was raining so you cant climb and there are electricity monsters that have zapped me dead about 10 times in a row. i think i was following a prince
    must pick it up again
    pixelburp wrote: »
    Especially if the "creation" animation is a mostly un-skippable animation. No harm done if it's all optional, but it does mean I end up walking around with tonnes of stuff I never even look at.

    i found out you can skip it


  • Administrators Posts: 53,685 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec


    Weapons and shields breaking was one of the more annoying mechanics IMO, but I recognise I'm likely in the minority on this one.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    pixelburp wrote: »
    Easy yes, but time consuming, better spent exploring the world or mucking about. Can't speak to xckjoo's preferences, but I haaaaaaaate inventory management in any game. It's a big part of why I don't go near Survival games in the first place. The most I'll usually indulge is the simple rationale of "is item X better than the one equipped? If yes, equip". Doesn't matter how amazing a potion or crafted axe might be, I just can't abide all that fiddling; just breaks the core flow of any game IMO. Especially if the "creation" animation is a mostly un-skippable animation. No harm done if it's all optional, but it does mean I end up walking around with tonnes of stuff I never even look at.


    Haha! Yup that's me too. I used to hold on to everything "just in case I need it", but nowadays I just sell everything I can and buy things as required. Usually end up with more money than I need. And ya, the animations are annoying no matter how short they are. I generally prefer to have to retry a section multiple times because I keep getting killed than to spend the time figuring out potions, etc. that might help me.


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭xckjoo


    bluewolf wrote: »
    I've done loads of cooking in mine. some of them sell for good money to a noob
    I got stuck on some section where it was raining so you cant climb and there are electricity monsters that have zapped me dead about 10 times in a row. i think i was following a prince
    must pick it up again



    i found out you can skip it


    The second or two it takes to go in and out of the animation before/after hitting the skip button is too much for me :D

    awec wrote: »
    Weapons and shields breaking was one of the more annoying mechanics IMO, but I recognise I'm likely in the minority on this one.
    I didn't mind this. I guess I'm more of a scavenger so always had a decent stock after the early game. Far more annoying was climbing in the rain. If there was a potion to help with that I'd have spent the time crafting them!


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp


    I see-saw with the weapon breakage; I get the idea behind it, forcing you to explore and engage with the world rather than cheesing it - but I think some leeway wouldn't have gone amiss. Cos it could be frustrating when you're mobbed in a remote area - and many good weapons couldn't simply be bought either IIRC, so suddenly I had to go weapon hunting. Even if there was a way to increase durability through a skill of some kind. Or at least knowing how much longer a weapon might last, rather than "fine" and "nearly broken"

    And yeah, the cooking animation is only partially skippable; while the constant entering and exiting of the menu got tedious real fast. Just ain't for me, and conscientiously avoid it. So much so, I don't think I've ever even used the crafting table in Skyrim for instance. Thankfully the system is rarely mandatory, outside of aforementioned Survival Games (so at least to be fair, BOTW also does good Survival mechanics, cos the cooking ain't the Worst in Class, while the environmental hazards are well done)


  • Posts: 0 [Deleted User]


    Completely agree on the cooking. Once you have discovered a receipe, you should be able to select it from a menu if you've got the ingredients and make 10+ at once.


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭The Nal


    Have played this through 3 times in the last 6 months. I think the third time was more enjoyable than the 2nd. I skipped all the cut scenes and just got enough hearts for the master sword and a little more stamina before I went near a divine beast. Did all the towers first.


  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon


    The Nal wrote: »
    Have played this through 3 times in the last 6 months. I think the third time was more enjoyable than the 2nd. I skipped all the cut scenes and just got enough hearts for the master sword and a little more stamina before I went near a divine beast. Did all the towers first.

    I'm on a divine beast now(my first) and it's hard. I'm thinking I might go back when I have better weapons and more hearts and stamina.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    I'm on a divine beast now(my first) and it's hard. I'm thinking I might go back when I have better weapons and more hearts and stamina.

    Which one?


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon


    CastorTroy wrote: »
    Which one?

    The elephant. I came across that mission in my 4th area.


  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake


    bluewolf wrote: »
    I've done loads of cooking in mine. some of them sell for good money to a noob
    I got stuck on some section where it was raining so you cant climb and there are electricity monsters that have zapped me dead about 10 times in a row. i think i was following a prince
    must pick it up again

    I got past this part finally and now i'm totally hooked again
    sorted out the water elephant machine and the water boss fight


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie


    bluewolf wrote: »
    I got past this part finally and now i'm totally hooked again
    sorted out the water elephant machine and the water boss fight

    Playing it for the second time (played it at launch).

    I'm roughly about there too.

    It's great, I've forgotten almost everything except how everything works.


  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz


    BOTW2 release date looking like December, hope it's out on time for Xmas for the kiddos! €82.50 RRP is a bit nuts though!

    https://www.inverse.com/gaming/botw-2-release-date-leak-breath-of-the-wild


  • Registered Users Posts: 12,676 ✭✭✭✭The Nal


    December 31st. Looks like they just pushed it out as far as possible in 2020. Gamestop taking pre orders for it. €69.99 Release date TBC


  • Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz


    The Nal wrote: »
    December 31st. Looks like they just pushed it out as far as possible in 2020. Gamestop taking pre orders for it. €69.99 Release date TBC

    Yeah, unlikely out for Xmas so :/

    More palatable price point, will get the pre-order in now so, thanks!


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89


    The Nal wrote: »
    December 31st. Looks like they just pushed it out as far as possible in 2020. Gamestop taking pre orders for it. €69.99 Release date TBC

    I think if I made up a game in my head and walked into Gamestop they'd take a preorder for it.


  • Registered Users Posts: 28,979 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy


    Yeah I seem to remember they were taking preorders for Wii U games long after they were cancelled


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix


    BOTW2 out this Christmas? haha suuuuure ;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost




Advertisement