Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Women needs to face facts about the link between rape and drinking"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

In this study you made up was it the victim or the rapist who had consumed alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭rjpf1980

Rightly so. Nobody is to blame for the actions of others. Just because somebody is drunk doesn't mean you can do whatever you like to them.

Did you read the OP?
    I said rapist is to blame not the victim.

rjpf1980 wrote: »
    I read somewhere that something like 8 out of 10 rape and sexual assault cases involve alcohol.

On the part of the accused, the victim or either or both?

The rest of your post presupposes the victim.

Could you link the stat? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If a woman is so drunk she's unconcious and naked, she is still not fair game nor does she ask to be raped. 99.9% of people would help her or make sure she was at least looked after, 0.01% will drop their kaks.

Rapists are rapists. They will prey on the weaker and most vulnerable. If they're drunk, alone, young, unable to defend themselves. Scumbags

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

I read somewhere that something like 8 out of 10 rape and sexual assault cases involve alcohol.

Did you read it after you typed it?

• Advertisement

In this study you made up was it the victim or the rapist who had consumed alcohol?

I cannot remember the author but I believe it was in a book I read about sexual assault and rape. I think the rape crisis centre published these figures somewhere? Anyway the majority of rapes are committed against drunk women. Excessive drinking makes women vulnerable to rape obviously. The rapist is 100% responsible. However women are not being told about the link because hysterical types want to shut down discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You're on a contentious thread topic roll! Can I get a sneak peak of tomorrows thread? Should marijuana be legalised?

I for one can't wait for tomorrows thread as this one isnt too original tbh, they also seem to get bored of their threads after they get asked too many questions they can't answer though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,473 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I read somewhere that something like 8 out of 10 assault cases involve alcohol.

The most vulnerable men are those who are drunk and are most likely to get attacked. A man goes out with friends goes from pub to pub and gets drunk. An opportunistic guy looking for a fight sees a drunk man and takes a swing at him.

Sober men are less likely to be attacked. The case last week in which a man was apparently punched by a trio of young men in broad daylight is the exception.

Let's get this clear right now. No man is to blame for being assaulted full stop.

A man who assaults another man against his will and without his consent is an assaulter. He deserves what is coming to him. Full stop.

However getting sh*tfaced obviously doesn't help.

Anyone who points this out is screamed at by hysterical types for victim blaming and excusing assault preventing a discussion about the obvious link between assaults and alcohol.

Thoughts?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Peregrine wrote: »
    Did you read it after you typed it?

What are you trying to say? I read it somewhere in a book or pamphlet published by an author or by the rape crisis centre or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Are we all assuming the rapist is sober ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did you read the OP?
    I said rapist is to blame not the victim.

Well then why'd you call them "hysterical types" for getting angry or upset by victim blaming?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

So... The solution to rape is for women to become Pioneers? We could always go the whole hog and keep them in towers wearing chastity belts.
    Now you do know nobody even implied that to be fair.

mordeith wrote: »
    It's bull. Getting blind drink isn't a good idea for anyone but doesn't mean you are to blame for someone else's actions.

I clearly said in the OP the rapist is to blame for his actions.

I clearly said in the OP the rapist is to blame for his actions.

So are you bored of banning motorbikes already?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

People should always be aware of their surroundings and not put themselves in dangerous situations where possible. There are nasty people out there that the courts don't deal with so we need to protect ourselves by being smart about our actions.
    Becoming incapacitated by choice is rarely a wise course of action.

Well then why'd you call them "hysterical types" for getting angry or upset by victim blaming?

Did you read the OP? I clearly said the rapist is to blame for the rape didn't I?

weisses wrote: »
    Are we all assuming the rapist is sober ?

There seems to be one HUGE assumption being made here. And that is that the 8 out of 10 cases involve a victim who has taken drink.

I'd find that very hard to believe.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    People should always be aware of their surroundings and not put themselves in dangerous situations where possible. There are nasty people out there that the courts don't deal with so we need to protect ourselves by being smart about our actions.
    Becoming incapacitated by choice is rarely a wise course of action.

The rapist to blame 100%. Getting blind drunk facilitates rape by putting the victim in a vulnerable position. She is not to blame for being attacked and is 100% innocent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Now you do know nobody even implied that to be fair.

That's exactly what the implication is: women should avoid getting drunk if they don't want to be raped. Struggling to see how you could read it any other way to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

OP, when a boyfriend did it to me, I had had one drink. One single can of cider. So if we're being totally strict about it, my case would fit the alcohol/rape criteria, despite me being 100% sober.

Yes, being drunk can lead to more vulnerability, but what are women supposed to do? Avoid the glass of wine with dinner? Don't bother drinking at a birthday night out? Stay teetotal lest some bast@rd can't control himself?

Women and men have to be able to live their lives.

Yes, there is a correlation between alcohol and rape, but similarly most rapes are committed by someone the victim knows.

We can't live in a bubble, avoiding all correlating things based on statistics. If that were the case, we'd have to never drink, never go out alone, never go anywhere after dusk, never be around any man we know, and assume all men are rapists.

Of course women and men can take measures to stay safe, like not drunkenl walking down an alley at night, but just how many measures are we expected to take? We'll never be fully rid of the risk, no matter what we do, because rapists will rape no matter what we do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

What are you trying to say? I read it somewhere in a book or pamphlet published by an author or by the rape crisis centre or something.

Get a grip.

If you're going to throw around numbers like that then at least have the cop on to be able to back them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭spud82

When I was 23, I was happy in a relationship. I went to visit my OH, and he was in a weird and ratty mood all day. I ignored it, and thought it was because he was stressed/tired/hungry. To cut a long story short, we went out that and he got hammered drunk. When we got back to where we were staying, he beat the sh7t out of me and raped me. He had sobered up by than but I can remember him screaming at me ( the alcohol is giving me the courage to do what you deserve whore) I hadn't drank all night and can remember thinking that I was going to be murdered that night it was just horrendous.

After this incident I didn't tell anyone for years because I was so ashamed and scared. I suffered from panic attacks a lot. However one day I was sick of feeling like **** so I went to the Rape Crisis Centre and started going there every week. I know am training to work up there, and help survivors of rape. What is scary is the amount of rape cases in Ireland on a yearly basis, and how many of them don't get reported. There is so much stigma anytime a rape case is reported, and women are afraid to report it because they won't be believed and because of the **** conviction figures.

If anyone here has been assaulted and wishes to talk feel free to DM me x

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did you read the OP? I clearly said the rapist is to blame for the rape didn't I?

Did you read my question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I'm getting suspicious about the increase in the amount of threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

Sex had while inhibitions were lowered is not rape.
    The inability to commit short term decisions to long-term memory is not rape.
    Regret is not rape.
    Wolf-whistling, mansplaining, manspreading and interrupting a woman while she is speaking are also good examples of things that are not rape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I'd say the food poisoning from dodgy chip vans to alcohol ratio is pretty high too.

People don't make good decisions when they're pissed, never have, never will.

Any blaming of one person's drinking on the actions of another is beyond stupid though

mordeith wrote: »
    It's bull. Getting blind drink isn't a good idea for anyone but doesn't mean you are to blame for someone else's actions.

You are 100% right if someone is raped when they are blind drunk it is 100% not their fault. In saying that I would like my daughter to not put herself in a situation where she is so drunk she can't scream or walk down an alleyway alone she might not have done if she wasn't drunk, I am making an extreme point there but what I am saying its not smart for Man/Woman to get really drunk because it puts them in danger whether that danger is assault/robbed/rape etc but women are at a danger for rape where with men normally it will jsut be beaten up. People always say "she isn't to blame just cause she is drunk" I mean i have never heard anyone say that it would be her fault.

Stay safe folks :P

Could it be prevented by banning motorbikes is what id like to know?

Your thoughts OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Story Bud?

bonyn wrote: »
    Sex had while inhibitions were lowered is not rape.
    The inability to commit short term decisions to long-term memory is not rape.
    Regret is not rape.
    Wolf-whistling, mansplaining, manspreading and interrupting a woman while she is speaking are also good examples of things that are not rape.

What's that got to do with the OP?

I'm intrigued.

• Advertisement

That's exactly what the implication is: women should avoid getting drunk if they don't want to be raped. Struggling to see how you could read it any other way to be fair.

Yet again I am amazed I actually have to repeat this. The rapist is 100% responsible for the rape. What part of that didn't you understand? I said it in the OP. I am not victim blaming. I am merely pointing out the link between alcohol and rape.

Advertisement