Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Eddie Jones the outstanding candidate for Lions Coach?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

Another undeserved Lions tour for ROG? Nah :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

WarZ wrote: »
    Another undeserved Lions tour for ROG? Nah :)

Graham Henry
    Clive Woodward
    Ian McGeehan

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Would love a left-field choice like Gregor Townsend

Anyone but Gatland please.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Would love a left-field choice like Gregor Townsend

Anyone but Gatland please.

If it was left field Mark McCall would be a great shout after the year Saracens just had

It is surely a 3 horse though between Gatland, Jones and Schmidt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Dog Botherer

I'd be stunned if it isn't Gatland.

Eddie and Joe are too smart to take on what will 100% be a series whitewash in NZ.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Isn't this Lions thing a bit of overblown nonsense at this stage? I fully understand why it was popular in the amateur era when the world was larger and these long trips were holidays of a lifetime for the players.
    We are already playing Southern Hemisphere teams on an annual basis in the AIs.
    Anyway, there is no equivalent Southern Hemisphere super team - it's all a bit forced and cosmetic - money rules.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 344 ✭✭Kobe248

It will be Gatland

If he performs the miracle and wins

Surely he will get the NZ job

• Registered Users Posts: 24,189 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Kobe248 wrote:

The NZRU won't hire a coach who isn't coming from within their own union.

It will be one of the current assistants or possibly one of the Super Rugby coaches.

Winning a Lions test series down there isn't going to change that. Gatland couldn't even get a Super Rugby position last time he went home despite being a HEC winner and having coached Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Pat Lam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Jones is without doubt the best for it, but he is on record saying he doesn't want it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Kobe248 wrote: »
    It will be Gatland

If he performs the miracle and wins

860643c0a0651a66d7fa43d4883bde76.jpg

LorMal wrote: »
    Isn't this Lions thing a bit of overblown nonsense at this stage? I fully understand why it was popular in the amateur era when the world was larger and these long trips were holidays of a lifetime for the players.
    Anyway, there is no equivalent Southern Hemisphere super team - it's all a bit forced and cosmetic - money rules.

Its a bit of fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭LorMal

Its a bit of fun

You're right - sorry - just feel it gets hyped out of all proportion (particularly by Sky)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jones again saying he doesn't want the Lions gig.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2016/jun/19/eddie-jones-rules-out-coaching-lions-2017-no1-england

It's going to be Gatland I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

LorMal wrote: »

I suppose it helps break up the four year cycle between world cups as well. I get your points though, I'd be very surprised if many outside of the Lions countries and the hosts would be following it with that much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

... And if he was...

Eddie Jones: Dylan Hartley 'great candidate' as 2017 Lions captain

Please, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd love someone like Itoje for the Lions Captaincy

Advertisement