Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is Eddie Jones the outstanding candidate for Lions Coach?

Options
  • 13-06-2016 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭

Grand Slam in his first season.
    7 wins in 7 as England coach.
    Turned underachievers into champions.
    Coach of only England's 4th win over Australia in Australia.
    Coach behind the greatest Rugby upset of all time.
    Not Warren Gatland, a kiwi, or any indigenous New Zealand fruit.

Clearly the next Lions Coach.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

How exactly would England feel about their new head coach being pulled away and unavailable to coach their team over the autumn and in only his 2nd 6 Nations? Can't see it happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

How exactly would England feel about their new head coach being pulled away and unavailable to coach their team over the autumn and in only his 2nd 6 Nations? Can't see it happening.

Proud to be Lions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Unless it was written into his contract, there is zero chance of the RFU releasing him to the Lions at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

He would probably be a great option, however England will not allow it. Not a chance.

It will be either Gatty or Joe. My money is on Joe if the rumours about him stepping down are true.

bilston wrote: »
    He would probably be a great option, however England will not allow it. Not a chance.

It will be either Gatty or Joe. My money is on Joe if the rumours about him stepping down are true.

I think the IRFU would be bonkers to release Joe to the Lions as well. Why would they?

It's probably in Gatland's contract and he'll remain the favourite partly for that reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Podge_irl wrote: »

I think the IRFU would be bonkers to release Joe to the Lions as well. Why would they?

It's probably in Gatland's contract and he'll remain the favourite partly for that reason.

They might let him go early if he confirms he is gone next year anyway. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

They might let him go early if he confirms he is gone next year anyway. I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

Nucifora is on record as saying they'd let him leave to coach the Lions if he signed an extension but otherwise no. Now, I'm not sure how serious he was, but to be perfectly honest I see no reason why they should let him out a year early unless it is to return home for personal reasons. If he was to stay up here and coach the Lions I would be pretty unhappy with the outcome.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It'll be Gatland.

awec wrote: »
    It'll be Gatland.

Least likable coach in existence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The Lions were not very likeable with Gatland but with Eddie Jones as coach it would be unbearable

It all depends on the politics and who is on the committee, if its Joe or Gatland my money will be on Gatland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

When Eddie Jones was hired he said he would not be Lions coach. See below for recent interview where he said he wouldn't be

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2016/03/18/eddie-jones-rules-himself-out-of-lions-job/

Unless Joe renews contract he will not be coach, it is written into current contract he cannot do the Lions

So it will be Gatland

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Why wouldn't Cotter be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

stephen_n wrote: »
    Why wouldn't Cotter be considered?

I suppose the issue there is that, although Scotland have certainly improved immensely under him, it would be hard to justify hiring a coach who hasn't had a winning record since he took over that job in 2014 (46% win record, no wins against Ireland, Wales or England in 7 matches in that time either)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭nehe milner skudder

jones deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Jones is pretty insufferable. No thanks. I don't think it will happen anyway, maybe best to get someone not involved in the international sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Jones is six months into the England job. He is not a candidate.

It is between Schmidt and Gatland and I'd be 95% sure it will be Gatland.

ROG to go as an assistant? (Provided he's not needed by Racing)

Seriously? Not a chance I would assume.

(this may have been a joke, I'm not super sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The issue with this is that the Top 14 season starts in September and finishes in August so he'll need to be around for all matches.

Seriously? Not a chance I would assume.

(this may have been a joke, I'm not super sure)

No, not joking! He's done a good job at Racing, why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,191 ✭✭✭✭Buer

No, not joking! He's done a good job at Racing, why not?

It's not realistic. He has no working experience with any of the likely players aside from Sexton.

Also, his CV really isn't strong enough. If you go back through the previous coaching teams, those involved have all had international experience or, at the least, were successful head coaches in their own right at club level.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Buer wrote: »
    It's not realistic. He has no working experience with any of the likely players aside from Sexton.

I don't see how that could be a problem. Andy Farrell had no experience of working with most the Lions last time.

As for Jones and Schmidt - isn't there some sort of a rule that before you can be head coach, you need to have been on the Lions as a player or assistant coach.

jm08 wrote: »
    I don't see how that could be a problem. Andy Farrell had no experience of working with most the Lions last time.

As for Jones and Schmidt - isn't there some sort of a rule that before you can be head coach, you need to have been on the Lions as a player or assistant coach.

Andy Farrell had 2 seasons as England's defensive coach where he worked with a number of the players. He was a proven international coach following a successful stint as a club coach.

No, there's no such rule. Graham Henry was head coach with no prior experience of the Lions.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It'll be Gatland by default.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Andy Farrell had 2 seasons as England's defensive coach where he worked with a number of the players. He was a proven international coach following a successful stint as a club coach.

No, there's no such rule. Graham Henry was head coach with no prior experience of the Lions.

Neither did Clive Woodward.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Neither did Clive Woodward.

Clive Woodward played for the Lions!

Edit: And it's SIR Clive Woodward to you!

ROG has done a very good job but having no international coaching experience and coaching outside of the Lions countries basically completely rules him out of the running I would think.

ROG has done a very good job but having no international coaching experience and coaching outside of the Lions countries basically completely rules him out of the running I would think.

It's about as likely as Mike Prendergast (who has done a great job) getting the call.

It was because of Henry not having had any previous Lions experience that they decided that the head coach needed either to have toured with the Lions as a player or at least been on a tour as an assistant coach. Henry, it seemed just didn't 'get' the Lions.

• Advertisement

It's about as likely as Mike Prendergast (who has done a great job) getting the call.

Mike Prendergast doesn't have 3 Lions Tours and over 100 international caps under his belt!

Advertisement