Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Season 6 Episode 8 "No One" - "Book readers"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

awec wrote: »
    I think the Cersei Qyburn thing is to do with Daenerys. I think Cersei is going to side with Dany.

As for Lady Stoneheart - she could yet make an appearance if Beric dies in the next few episodes.

Cersei and Qyburn are discussing wildfire. No doubt about it.

Lady Stoneheart is done. You think the BWB is transporting and preserving her corpse about the place in the event Dondarrion dies again and Thoros can't raise him? Disappointing but she's not happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

How do you know this though? I've never seen anyone mention wildfire in it in ages. Qyburn said about the "little rumour" which led me to believe they were talking about Tyrion being in Mereen. He was also the first character on screen after it was mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Lady Stoneheart is done. You think the BWB is transporting and preserving her corpse about the place in the event Dondarrion dies again and Thoros can't raise him? Disappointing but she's not happening.

Yeah LS is gone now, Edmure has been held for a number of years since the Red Wedding, LS is done & dusted at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

I don't know, Cersei knows all about wildfire as she originally commissioned it before Tyrion found and used it on the blackwater. Do you think Cersei plans to burn the city or the Sept of Baelor?

The Dany thing would be really interesting if that was the rumour but I can't see Cersei betraying Tommen for anything.

Also the blackfish not being seen dead on camera (I know, another of screen death), the way the men looked at Edmure when he told them to put blackfish in chains could lead them to pretend Blackfish is dead but we did hear and a fight. It's too cheap a way for Blackfish to die too! I'm hoping the Lannister army get diced in there sleep with the Freys, not gonna happen but a man can hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tyrion has dreams of owning a vineyard. Tyrion is going to die now. :(

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »
    Tyrion has dreams of owning a vineyard. Tyrion is going to die now. :(

Wish he'd talk about his dragon dreams a bit more than useless filler segments with Missandei and Grey Worm.

• Administrators Posts: 53,428 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would she need Qyburn for that? She knows all about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

I am guessing they want Jamie, Brienne and Edmure in the riverlands for future plots.

Along those lines, I think the writers wanted Jamie out of kings Landing so that he could survive the coming firestorm. Same goes for Olenna.

Come to think of it, Cersei encouraged Jamie to leave, and tried to get Olenna to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Fecking delighted they kept Beric and didn't do LSH- The Hound continues to get the best lines in the show
    We might not get Cleganbowl in a Trial by Combat - but I'm sure the two will meet at some stage

Nice to see Mountain Zombie rip face of one of the Faith Militant- the actor who plays Lancel really is nailing the "Try Not to Look Scared When Obviously Terrified" face

About the Wildfyre- Yes Cersei knew about there being Wildfyre but I'm guessing Quborn's "little birds" found out about the Mad King's pyromancers having it planted throughout all of Kingslanding...

I have to say, they could have done without Ayra getting stabbed in previous episode, was no real need for it, just have the Waif chasing her through the city- it still would have worked
    I liked how Ayra used the darkness, her training from being blind, to kill the Waif who was beating the ****e into her at start of season - wasn't there something from episode 1 of Ayra going "It's not fair I'm blind" and Waif going "That is your problem"

The scene with Jaime and Edmure in the tent was brilliant acting from the both of them - and funny how Jaime had to be a dick to Edmure to avoid bloodshed

I've horrible feeling Varys will be going to Dorne - but anyone else find it intersting that it was almost as soon as Varys left Mireen the Slave Masters attacked- like we know that he isn't happy with the religous fantaics have such power there now
    I'm prob in the minority but I rather liked the "joke" scene with Tyrion, Greyworm and Missandei

Yes the episode had problems, but was still very enjoyable imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cercei already had the pyromancers making buckets of wildfyre prior to the battle of the blackwater until Tyrion, who was the hand at the time, said they they'd be making the wildfyre for him

• Advertisement

Why would she need Qyburn for that? She knows all about it?

Does she? Can't remember from books? In show she's been talking about burning cities and houses and castles to the ground for years.

Obviously I don't know that's what they were talking about but I'd put plenty of money on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭bada_bing

i was actually bored with this episode just mostly filler and nothing much happens as usual in terms of the main storylines. Am sick of this Mereen storyline, i wish they'd just move on and focus on the main plot. In fact i think the previous 3 episodes could've been condensed into one interesting episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

J. Marston wrote:
    I assumed Drogon was going to take care of those ships.

That would make sense except Drogon isn't exactly obedient! But i really really hope we get to see him blasting the ships in the next episode :D

rawn wrote: »
    That would make sense except Drogon isn't exactly obedient! But i really really hope we get to see him blasting the ships in the next episode :D

That scene from two episodes ago was meant to act as the bonding of Dany to Drogon so he should be a lot more obedient now. He'll wipe those ships out in seconds hopefully then on to the bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Yep, Drogon's a good boy now.

He does all the commands; Sit, roll over, incinerate our enemies.

J. Marston wrote: »
    incinerate our enemies.
    DRAKARUS

J. Marston wrote:
    He does all the commands; Sit, roll over, incinerate our enemies.

:D

I have a feeling, for budget reasons, that we'll just see the aftermath of Drogon destroying the ships but i would have loved to see Dany dismount at the pyramid and say 'dracarys' to Drogon and watch him incinerate the ships. I think it would have been a nice throwback to Astapor, to remind everyone that when Dany isn't giving unnecessary speeches she can occasionally be a bit of a badass!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

This episode reminded why the Hound is my favourite character. The disparaging one-liners and brutal violence are an absolute joy to behold.

The Mountain ripping the head clean off one of the Faith Militant was peculiarly pleasurable.

Although Arya's killing of the waif was satisfactory, her scenes were a bit far fetched. The heavy blood loss and general discomfort from having a stab wound in the midsection should have made her more acrobatic moves impossible.

Anyone else think the menace of the Faith Militant was really undermined? They were supposed to bring Cersei in, vowed to use violence if they compelled to, one lad had a bit of an upset so the rest of them scarpered? Not very fanatical of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Following developments in this episode, I feel this video is very significant. Cersei and The Mad Queen theory https://youtu.be/2aPiAeYBNyI

• Advertisement

GerB40 wrote: »
    Following developments in this episode, I feel this video is very significant. Cersei and The Mad Queen theory https://youtu.be/2aPiAeYBNyI

If this happens I'd love to see the hound in some part of the equation with his history of being burnt, perhaps with revenge on The Mountain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭ZeitgeistGlee

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Fecking delighted they kept Beric and didn't do LSH

I'm not the only one, thank God. She's awful, I dunno why people were so eager to get her back. One dubiously resurrected Stark is enough.

Mixed bag episode, the stuff with the Hound and Berric/Thoros was excellent but the convoluted mess that was Arya's plotline really dragged it down. Jaime and Brienne, Pod and Bronn, and Jaime and Edmure's scenes were great but the whole Riverrun plotline felt forced, and Blackfish dying off-screen was a real WTF moment. As bad as the jokes were I rather enjoyed Tyrion's scene with Greyand Mis, made them feel human until the force of plot that is Dany returned.

Preview for Episode 9 has me a bit concerned, looks like it's going to be Braveheart with Jon's lads are getting massacred until Littlefinger and the Vale Army turn up to turn the tide. I'm getting a bit annoyed at that gormless/confused/depressed look Kit has on his face playing Jon these days and him constantly being spoken down to by Sansa.

I'm getting a bit annoyed at that gormless/confused/depressed look Kit has on his face playing Jon these days and him constantly being spoken down to by Sansa.

Have to say I 100% agree with this, he should be angry, bitter, commanding and decisive but he's regressed as a character. He was one of my favourite characters, maybe bastard bowl will bring back the real Jon Snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

So disappointed they didn't give Blackfish a decent death scene. I understand the necessity of his death storywise, but it would have been so much more satisfying to see him go down fighting taking a few enemies with him or 1v1 against Jaime or Bronn. Duels and/or compelling death scenes have been one of the staples of the series so far and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to slip another one in. The only reason I can imagine they didn't was because the 70 year old Clive Russel wasn't up to it physically- though he did seem relatively spry. In any case, having a random soldier march up to Jaime and say "yea, he's dead" is one of the most anti-climatic ways possible to dispose of an excellent, much admired character.

The next episode could be a belter. Hopefully, it will be an episode long spectacle a la the battle of Blackwater or Castle Black.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

I felt pretty disappointed watching the arya chase, although I did like the ending. What bugs me the most is that for me it wasn't clear if it all happened by chance, or if arya planned the whole thing.. It felt more like the former at times which hurts the arya character a lot I feel

I felt pretty disappointed watching the arya chase, although I did like the ending. What bugs me the most is that for me it wasn't clear if it all happened by chance, or if arya planned the whole thing.. It felt more like the former which hurts the arya character a lot I feel

Looked like she planned the whole thing in fairness. Even when the waif appeared to lose Arya she was smearing the wall with blood in the direction she was going. However how she was in a state to do it was another thing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

duffman13 wrote: »
    Looked like she planned the whole thing in fairness. Even when the waif appeared to lose Arya she was smearing the wall with blood in the direction she was going. However how she was in a state to do it was another thing.

Going to the actress and Taking the milk of the poppy was a huge risk for a plan though

It all could have been a really clever ruse.

- Her shirt could have been stuffed with meat so damage could have been more minimal than it looked (the knife went in up to the hilt but only maybe 2 inches or so pierced her?)

- Handy escape over the bridge into the canal.

- Shuffles injured through the street to lead the waif to where she is recuperating.

- Leads the waif on a chase that sees her seemingly weakening herself more, leaving blood trails to make sure she finds her.

- Leads her to a darkened room, shaking, injured, bleeding and unarmed.

- Takes advantage of the waif's cockiness, pulls out needle and fights in the dark, winning.

To me, if this was how it went down it would be very GRRM, as in nothing is spelled out for you, so I wouldn't mind that we don't see her shirt being stuffed with meat or her laying the trap. But the addition of getting the actress killed, drinking the milk of the poppy and a seriously brutal chase involving a lot of risky jumps proves it's just shoddy writing after all. Boo-oorns.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

J. Marston wrote: »
    I assumed Drogon was going to take care of those ships.

What's very annoying about this episode is Arya was actually just being an idiot last week. No Jaqen bait and switch, just Arya being a dope strolling around town defenceless while a face-changing assassin was after her.

Don't you see? Well, it was so complex it can be forgiven, but seriously: open your eyes!

Arya's plan for the last two seasons was simply to cut off the Waif's face. Deliberately failing in her mission to kill the thin man? That was to be expelled. Then getting back into the House of Black and White? To goad the Waif. Then all the fighting whilst blind? See? I bet you didn't realise that she was deliberatley letting the Waif beat her up in order to mask how good she was at fighting blind. Arya failing to kill the actress, knowing that it would be a death sentence? Yup. Starting to fall into place now, huh?

Arya examined the face of the old woman, so she knew exactly who the Waif was when she came to kill Arya. All the pomposity of the way she booked a room to Westeros was deliberately to draw attention to herself to lure the Waif out. Arya knew that the real reason the actress was on a hit-list was because she was... a witch! Only death can pay for life, and who's life was that to be? The Waif, of course! She also knew that the waif was going to stab her specifically in the stomach, she had overheard the waif muttering "must stab Arya in the gut" in her sleep. By the time the witch-actress had finished healing her, Arya was 100% recovered, she was only feigning being frail. Arya deliberately stayed with the witch cum actress, knowing the Waif would easily find her there, just in order to be lure her to the room with sting in it.

All that falling over and crashing around that Arya did whilst the Waif was trying to catch her? Yeah, that was all fake to make sure the Waif didn't lose her. She even left a bloody hand print at the end like a sign post to say: in here Waif!

And so, why not just have the sword with her before this? Well, that's easy: if Arya had been carrying sting the Waif may not have been as easy a target, nor would a messy fight have left her with an unblemished face to cut off. It was all expertly written, all masterfully telegraphed. It was not a sub-plot spanning two seasons that was an entire waste of time.

But why kill the WAIF at all? Well.. Don't you remember Arya's list?

Weese
    Amory Lorch
    Ilyn Payne
    JoFfrey Baratheon

Dear lord...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

DeadHand wrote: »
    So disappointed they didn't give Blackfish a decent death scene. I understand the necessity of his death storywise, but it would have been so much more satisfying to see him go down fighting taking a few enemies with him or 1v1 against Jaime or Bronn. Duels and/or compelling death scenes have been one of the staples of the series so far and it seemed like a perfect opportunity to slip another one in. The only reason I can imagine they didn't was because the 70 year old Clive Russel wasn't up to it physically- though he did seem relatively spry. In any case, having a random soldier march up to Jaime and say "yea, he's dead" is one of the most anti-climatic ways possible to dispose of an excellent, much admired character.

The next episode could be a belter. Hopefully, it will be an episode long spectacle a la the battle of Blackwater or Castle Black.

And to think I complained about the way Roose got the chop. At least we fecking saw it.

I would just laugh and laugh if the next episode the battle starts and then we just cut to the aftermath and you see Littlefinger saying to Sansa 'So did you enjoy killing Ramsay?'. Oh GOT...:rolleyes:

Advertisement