Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v Ireland, Match Thread

Options
  • 10-06-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭

ireland-vs-south-africa-2016-300x175.jpg

Kick off at 4PM BST. Live on Sky Sports 1HD from 3:30PM and live radio commentary on RTE 1.

Intro. Thank God for summer tours. Thank God for more rugby, thank God for something to do on muggy Saturday afternoons and thank God for something to do instead of having to pass the time watching Albano versus Swinelund in the soccerball.

After a few soft touch trips to the Americas, Ireland have taken the chance to tour South Africa for the first time in 12 years. For Irish Rugby it has been a hard year for the professional teams and on the surface it also appears to be a harder ending. JC has brought what is on paper a weakened squad with him this time round but it is a squad that is patched up with players who are well able for it and who badly need a chance to play good rugby against good opposition. The host are approaching the series under new coach Allister Coetzee and they have a lot to prove as well.

The teams.
    Ckgi7LBXIAAkJ1W.jpg

South Africa: 15 Willie le Roux, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Lionel Mapoe, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Lwazi Mvovo, 10 Pat Lambie, 9 Faf de Klerk; 1 Tendai Mtawarira, 2 Adriaan Strauss (c), 3 Frans Malherbe, 4 Eben Etzebeth, 5 Lood de Jager, 6 Francois Louw, 7 Siya Kolisi, 8 Duane Vermuelen.

Replacements: 16 Bongi Mbonambi, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Julian Redelinghuys, 19 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 20 Warren Whiteley, 21 Rudy Paige 22 Elton Jantjies, 23 Jesse Kriel

While the Irish team is probably as expected player wise, the selection of Henshaw at 13 and Payne at 15 are two that are eagerly anticipated by many pub coaches. Paddy Jackson is justly preferred at 10 to Monseigneur Madigan; Mike Ross and Jack McGrath are beefy props for the job while the selection of Jordi Murphy at open side could well be the Leinster mans chance to sink or swim, as well as being the one area where the Irish pack could well be showing a level of weakness.
    GettyImages-464955466-630x419.jpg

The home team have a fresh look on a strong team with Faf de Klerk making his his first cap at scrum half. Duane Vermeulen comes in at the back row after a kerfuffle with Toulon almost scuppered his tour while, a few Afrikaan eyebrows were raised when Lionel Mapoe was selected at outside centre.
    Lionel+Mapoe+g-VJq3dWulqm.jpg

Verdict. After an 11 month season that flattered to deceive in the main and with a weaker squad, Ireland may be on a hiding to nothing this time round. However, the call up's are all very capable players and are well able to deliver the goods on the day. Still, it is a Springbok team who are eager to please and who are coming into things fairly fresh and they should have enough to win and win in reasonable comfort. I say the host in the region of 32-18 and for Henshaw to insure his laptop this time round as he won't be fighting the Mcdonagh's this time round ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I say the host in the region of 32-18 and for Henshaw to insure his laptop this time round as he won't be fighting the Mcdonagh's this time round ;)

Unfortunately for Henshaw he won't have the guards to rescue him this time round :pac:

I think South Africa by 15-20pts unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

WarZ wrote: »
    Unfortunately for Henshaw he won't have the guards Bundee Aki rescue him this time round

Fixed your post :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭English Lurker

Is that JC referring to Schmidt, and is that a typo or have you guys promoted him to a messianic nickname? ;)

I like how in the mugshots only Henderson, Stander and Henshaw are smiling.

That aside, that's not a scary South African team. Its easy to say from my position but injury and time have stripped away a lot of mainstays. Okay, the locks are mutant, Thor is well nicknamed, the backs are fast... but how many of those players have genuinely stamped themselves on the international game as top class players over the last few years. Strauss? Le Roux when not brain farting? New coach, new ideas; its a perfect opportunity to catch them cold.

Maybe it won't happen, what with the injuries and everything, but I think there's a case for optimism.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Some magical day of rugby ahead of us eh?

A shame we're only playing the barely-above-basic-bokke but I think Japan were busy. Here's to a great day of rugby though

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good write up although was JC a typo or deliberate?!!!!!

I'm a bit more confident to be honest. I make SA favourites as they have an edge in the tight 5 but there isn't much between the rest of the sides (on paper anyway).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It's a bit weird. There are very people on this forum (including myself), who have watched enough of the SA Super Rugby sides to genuinely be able to evaluate the Boks.

In fact I've noticed generally that the NH knows little about the SH players and vice versa.

A lot of people just guess based on history and clichés.

Helps makes this game intriguing. I have seen a bit of the Lions this year, and there style is the most "Kiwi" of the SA Super Rugby sides.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    There are very few people on this forum (including myself), who have watched enough of the SA Super Rugby sides to genuinely be able to evaluate the Boks.

Why would you subject yourself to such misery on a standard weekend with so many options available to you? Especially given the timezone conflicts with the far superior stuff on display in the Pro 12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It's a bit weird. There are very people on this forum (including myself), who have watched enough of the SA Super Rugby sides to genuinely be able to evaluate the Boks.

In fact I've noticed generally that the NH knows little about the SH players and vice versa.

A lot of people just guess based on history and clichés.

Helps makes this game intriguing. I have seen a bit of the Lions this year, and there style is the most "Kiwi" of the SA Super Rugby sides.

Because if you peddle out the cliches you can look knowledgeable to the mass, George Hook made a living out of it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

First time, possibly ever, I won't be watching an Ireland game live but sadly the RSA gave me a time just before kickoff for my driving test.

Should hopefully be a cracker and it'll be interesting to see how much South African conditions affect our guys. Reckon this game might be make or break for a lot of reasons. It's our best chance to catch them in the hop abd perhaps get under their skin for next week.

Should we lose you have to feel Joe will want to revert to Henshaw Payne in the midfield and that will leave us with TOH at FB which could make matters worse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

DGRulz wrote: »
    First time, possibly ever, I won't be watching an Ireland game live but sadly the RSA gave me a time just before kickoff for my driving test.

Turn the radio on to the match commentary during the test. When Michael Corcoran starts to get excited step on the accelerator. If SA score a try make an emergency stop and thump the steering wheel. When Ireland score a try honk the horn to the tempo of Ireland's Call. The tester is bound to be a rugby fan - he won't care and you'll pass with flying colours!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Zzippy wrote: »
    Turn the radio on to the match commentary during the test. When Michael Corcoran starts to get excited step on the accelerator. If SA score a try make an emergency stop and thump the steering wheel. When Ireland score a try honk the horn to the tempo of Ireland's Call. The tester is bound to be a rugby fan - he won't care and you'll pass with flying colours!

"Tremengous use of the emergency brakes"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Just put a twenty quid on, that Bok backline is one dimensional, if its a tough aerial battle we have the better kick chasers, if its a running bosh game, we have the better boshers in our backline. Schmidt better have done his homework, show his worth.

Zzippy wrote: »

_65921151_mmrgutopgearrugby.png

bilston wrote: »
    Good write up although was JC a typo or deliberate?!!!!!

I'm a bit more confident to be honest. I make SA favourites as they have an edge in the tight 5 but there isn't much between the rest of the sides (on paper anyway).

It was deliberate, same way that I spell Connacht Connaught.

Or is that the other way around? Ah well :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Goes to show what a good coach can do, E Jones' England wiping the Floor with Australia, in Australia.

If we don't win this Series, Lam should be replacing Schmidt, who in turn can be demoted to Connacht.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It's utterly bizarre that all the posters calling for Joe's head are from Munster. Sad really.

This ends here. Do not bring provincial BS into the thread. That goes for everyone who might be tempted to respond as well.

It's utterly bizarre that all the posters calling for Joe's head are from Munster. Sad really.

Forget where people are from, and focus on the playing style and results.

Lam took a bunch of no hopers to title winners, demolishing Leinster in the final. If we hadn't a great replacement I could excuse the inertia, but we have.

Now, I could see why Connacht would feel short changed, but c'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Rightwing wrote: »
    Goes to show what a good coach can do, E Jones' England wiping the Floor with Australia, in Australia.

If we don't win this Series, Lam should be replacing Schmidt, who in turn can be demoted to Connacht.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Forget where people are from, and focus on the playing style and results.

Lam took a bunch of no hopers to title winners, demolishing Leinster in the final. If we hadn't a great replacement I could excuse the inertia, but we have.

Now, I could see why Connacht would feel short changed, but c'est la vie.

If people did actually focus on results, none of these ludicrous posts would be happening.

They don't though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I actually think discussing the racial quota in SA would be less heated than some of the provincial sh!te in here

• Advertisement

If people did actually focus on results, none of these ludicrous posts would be happening.

They don't though.

Well as I said in the initial post, let's see what we can do in these Tests. And no excuses. Unfortunately, they've all been used up.... long ago.

I resume my pen, in reply to the curious epistle you have been pleased to favor me with, and can assure you ... it has been the source of abundant merriment to me. The spirit that breathes throughout is so rancorous, illiberal, and imperious; the argumentative part of it is so puerile and fallacious; the misrepresentation of facts so palpable and flagrant; the criticisms so illiterate, trifling, and absurd; the conceits so low, sterile, and splenetic, that I will venture to pronounce it one of the most ludicrous performances which has been exhibited to public view during all the present controversy.

Well as I said in the initial post, let's see what we can do in these Tests. And no excuses. Unfortunately, they've all been used up.... long ago.

Long ago was it? Were they used up during Schmidt's Heineken Cup wins? Or was it during his first 2 Championships?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Look, people like you are welcome to love the flavour of the week but just know that anyone with a brain will think it's patently ridiculous.

What was the last year Joe Schmidt went without winning a trophy? 2009. That's a lifetime ago in sport. You don't drop your coach after one middling season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

Ugh. I'm disgusted with myself for engaging with this shyte. Snared again.

Enjoy your afternoon of cheering on your country's opponents.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Thank feck there is only an hour and a half to KO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think we're going to win anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

Why don't ye watch the wolf puppies kicking ass instead?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is it on terrestrial?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Teferi wrote: »
    Look, people like you are welcome to love the flavour of the week but just know that anyone with a brain will think it's patently ridiculous.

What was the last year Joe Schmidt went without winning a trophy? 2009. That's a lifetime ago in sport. You don't drop your coach after one middling season.

Forget about trophies, the rugby we play has been "middling" for the vast majority of Schmidts tenure, win or lose. We are consistently not a nice team to watch.

For the record I think we can beat this Boks team playing Schmidtball, but I also think we could beat them by playing, passing and offloading.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement