Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

South Africa v Ireland, Match Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Felix Jones is God

PMBC wrote: »
    Is it on terrestrial?

Wolf pups on TG4 now
    The SAv Irl game no, only sky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think we're going to win anyway

The boks are probably the 1 side from the SH that we can and should beat right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 The Dragon Reborn

Rightwing wrote: »
    The boks are probably the 1 side from the SH that we can and should beat right now.

Should might be a bit strong, but no way we should fear them

Should might be a bit strong, but no way we should fear them

Agreed, the 1/9 odds for a home win seem way too far out to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ah here. We'd surely beat Namibia too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,190 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Forget about trophies

Good lord, why?

Zzippy wrote: »
    Ah here. We'd surely beat Namibia too!

I admire your confidence. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Buer wrote: »
    Good lord, why?

In terms of framing things, how we are playing etc, we are a consistent team in the manner in which we go about things, we are never truly dire or truly awesome. Im not going to say we are playing brilliantly because we won a trophy, nor am I going to call for Schmidts head because we didnt win and are playing the same stuff that won us trophies, only that, without the glint of silverware, its unwatchable.

Schmidt won us two 6N playing a certain style of rugby, the rest of the world moved on and we flopped horrendously at the WC and last 6N, this Boks team are on a platter, if we dont beat them, we are on a terminal trajectory as regards Schmidtball and its obvious diminishing returns. Harking back to the two trophies we won playing that way is madness, the game has moved on.

In terms of framing things, how we are playing etc, we are a consistent team in the manner in which we go about things, we are never truly dire or truly awesome. Im not going to say we are playing brilliantly because we won a trophy, nor am I going to call for Schmidts head because we didnt win and are playing the same stuff that won us trophies, only that, without the glint of silverware, its unwatchable.

Schmidt won us two 6N playing a certain style of rugby, the rest of the world moved on and we flopped horrendously at the WC and last 6N, this Boks team are on a platter, if we dont beat them, we are on a terminal trajectory as regards Schmidtball and its obvious diminishing returns. Harking back to the two trophies we won playing that way is madness, the game has moved on.

Spot on.
    TG4 worth watching the ABs in big, big trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

We actually played the 2 6 nations we won under Joe very differently, and again this year. So I'm not sure the 'we play a certain way' argument is correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Can't wait for this now.
    If we do lose this I think it won't be by more than a score.

Hawan de lads!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

DGRulz wrote: »
    First time, possibly ever, I won't be watching an Ireland game live but sadly the RSA gave me a time just before kickoff for my driving test.

Should hopefully be a cracker and it'll be interesting to see how much South African conditions affect our guys. Reckon this game might be make or break for a lot of reasons. It's our best chance to catch them in the hop abd perhaps get under their skin for next week.

Should we lose you have to feel Joe will want to revert to Henshaw Payne in the midfield and that will leave us with TOH at FB which could make matters worse.

The Republic of South Africa fixed your driving test time si we'd be without an important fan? Is there nothing they won't stoop to?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Teferi wrote: »
    We actually played the 2 6 nations we won under Joe very differently, and again this year. So I'm not sure the 'we play a certain way' argument is correct.

It's nonsense. We've played differently in all 3 seasons but sure why should we let facts get in the way of a good bit of axe swinging?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,788 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Agreed, the 1/9 odds for a home win seem way too far out to me.

You'll never see a bookie driving a bad car....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

molloyjh wrote: »
    It's nonsense. We've played differently in all 3 seasons but sure why should we let facts get in the way of a good bit of axe swinging?

Eddie O'Sullivan disagrees. The only posters who appear to think that we've been playing wildly different under Schmidt are are subscribed members of the St. Joe fanclub.

We will need to see significant development over the course of the remainder of the season if we're to get any wins under our belt. I've full faith that Schmidt can be the man to bring us forward, but we need to see progress.

Forget about trophies, the rugby we play has been "middling" for the vast majority of Schmidts tenure, win or lose. We are consistently not a nice team to watch.

For the record I think we can beat this Boks team playing Schmidtball, but I also think we could beat them by playing, passing and offloading.

Won't somebody think of the offloads!?

This obsession with off loads is getting really tiresome. It's insane how people can't be happy with anything but constant perfection here. Can you not just get behind your team and stop sh***ing all over them? At least in a match day thread if not in general?

Eddie O'Sullivan disagrees. The only posters who appear to think that we've been playing wildly different under Schmidt are are subscribed members of the St. Joe fanclub.

We will need to see significant development over the course of the remainder of the season if we're to get any wins under our belt. I've full faith that Schmidt can be the man to bring us forward, but we need to see progress.

Actually Eddie never spoke about us playing 1 single way for 3 yeas at all you're just making that up. Or lying.

But if what Eddie said is so important maybe you should note that he refused to knock Joe over selections. I'm sure you'll refrain from that in future now yourself?

Ireland are playing a match today. This is the match thread. Is there any chance you and your ilk can stop your whining and endless negativity and get behind the lads ahead of kick off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

Looking forward to this now, in hope rather than expectation! Backed us +15 on the handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Seriously. St Joe fanclub, Schmidtlings, Schmidt out-brigade etc. It's impossible to have reasonable discussion when posters throw around passive aggressive labels like these.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Shit like this, shmidtlings etc. just shows that these posters don't want to debate, all they want to do is cause hassle. It's pathetic tbh.

• Advertisement

Seriously. St Joe fanclub, Schmidtlings, Schmidt out-brigade etc. It's impossible to have reasonable discussion when posters throw around passive aggressive labels like these.

It's the Internet. Name calling passes as debate here and if you talk facts and the other guy calls you a name he's clearly won. Cos it's the Internet. Normal rules don't apply.

Anyway, I'm really excited for this game. I don't know what to expect from SA and only think I know what to expect from Ireland. There's a real element of uncertainty around how both teams will play.

In many ways we're up against it away from home with all those injuries and absentees. But we've still got a good starting XV.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Lads is this at 4pm or 5pm?

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Joe fan club, schmidtlings and all that crap stops now.

• Administrators Posts: 53,459 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think we should expect a good game from Jackson today. With 3 of his Ulster teammates in the backline there shouldn't be much rust. I do expect us to cover the 'cap (+15 last I checked) but a win is a big ask. There's a lot of quality missing from the 23.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Depends what timezone you're in...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

I think we'll lose by 10-15, I think it's a poor side that has been selected, I think guys lie Jackson, Marshall and Murphy aren't up to it at this level...I am looking forward to be proven wrong

4.00pm irish, 5.00pm in SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Faf has himself some fantastic hair

• Advertisement

donfers wrote: »
    I think we'll lose by 10-15, I think it's a poor side that has been selected, I think guys lie Jackson, Marshall and Murphy aren't up to it at this level...I am looking forward to be proven wrong

This could be anything at all really!
    I'm hoping it'll be a one score game though.

Murphy has found some form towards the end of the season, albeit patchy. But he does worry me too.
    I think PJ will be fine.
    Marshall...I dunno...he could impress us all or sh1te all over the pitch.

14 minutes to go!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement