Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Maths HL Paper 2 2016 - Before and After

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 summer98

I also got 0.15 phew!

How about rate part on the high tide question?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

The question asked what value of x would make a and b independent events.

So I just found x.

Arnie is right there! I double checked that one as I knew it would be an easy place to slip up. They wanted the value X. I'm positive

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Appmaths97

Arnie is right there! I double checked that one as I knew it would be an easy place to slip up. They wanted the value X. I'm positive
    they wanted both.

Appmaths97 wrote: »
    they wanted both.

don't phunk with my heart! I'll hold you to that! The paper isn't up on examinations.ie yet but im sure it will be shortly. Let's see who's right then. I'm almost certain that the only asked for X and did not ask for the probability of A

don't phunk with my heart! I'll hold you to that! The paper isn't up on examinations.ie yet but im sure it will be shortly. Let's see who's right then. I'm almost certain that the only asked for X and did not ask for the probability of A
    it said write probability of a in terms of x which you probably did

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Can anyways tell me the values they got for the centre of the circle in Q2 part B? I couldn't get it using maths so did a large scaled drawing on the extra pages and ended up with a centre of (6,7) I think? Then subbed it into the formula with a radius of 5 to get S

Can anyways tell me the values they got for the centre of the circle in Q2 part B? I couldn't get it using maths so did a large scaled drawing on the extra pages and ended up with a centre of (6,7) I think? Then subbed it into the formula with a radius of 5 to get S

6,7 was the orthocentre question.

damn, i got like 8.4,8.6 or something.. ugh. Anyone get root 5 for that cos2theta=1/9 question?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Appmaths97 wrote:

Oh they're muddled in my brain, I got a whole number answer through the graph so I was hopeful it was correct

damn, i got like 8.4,8.6 or something.. ugh. Anyone get root 5 for that cos2theta=1/9 question?
    i got root 5 over 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

I spent a good 20 minutes trying to get the equation of the circle for Q2 b.

My page is destroyed because I kept rubbing my unsatisfactory answer. Hopefully I get attempt marks...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Lads what was that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 summer98

emersyn wrote: »
    Lads what was that

shiat

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

i thought it was a lot more manageable than paper 1. lots of geometry and probability quite prevalent. I think i managed everything okay was annoyed with the construction didnt make much sense.

I was a lot happier with paper 1, I'd say I got close to an A in that but probably back down to my usual middling C now :o

emersyn wrote: »
    I was a lot happier with paper 1, I'd say I got close to an A in that but probably back down to my usual middling C now :o

Was it really that bad? :O :shocked:

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

bookworm20 wrote: »
    Does anyone have answers for the lottery question cause im not sure if min were right. i got 1/2600 for the first one.

probabilities are 1/2600, 9/2600, 9/2600, 81/2600 and 2500/2600.

then using these you get an expected loss of 29c when charging €2 entry
    part c) then equated to an avg, profit of 71c per game so they needed to charge €3 for this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Got root 5 over 2 for the cos 2/9 bollocks

Got 0.25 for A, but you guys say 0.15? Maybe I forgot to subtract 0.1

Got 8.66, something for the orthocentre, but I knew it was the centroid, not the orthocentre.

The lottery question was simple as hell. Anyone else get something like 2 euro twenty for the price?
    Jane98 wrote: »
    probabilities are 1/2600, 9/2600, 9/2600, 81/2600 and 2500/2600.

then using these you get an expected loss of 29c when charging €2 entry
    part c) then equated to an avg, profit of 71c per game so they needed to charge €3 for this
    I thought they were making a profit at the start??? Because you have to times the 2500/2600 by zero as they don't pay anything out if you lose. Am I wrong? Chit....

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

I hope the marking scheme for the probability question is good feelsbadman.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 39 wofias8

The paper is up on examinations.ie now

• Advertisement

Was it really that bad? :O :shocked:

And I'm usually better at paper 2!! The trig question and the inferential stats question were great, the cos graph was ok (I realise now that I fell victim to misreading minimum or maximum or whatever it was) and nothing else jumps out in my memory as being definitely correct. It's out of the way now anyway, now to cram the whole Biology course in the next 18 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Got root 5 over 2 for the cos 2/9 bollocks

Got 0.25 for A, but you guys say 0.15? Maybe I forgot to subtract 0.1

Got 8.66, something for the orthocentre, but I knew it was the centroid, not the orthocentre.

The lottery question was simple as hell. Anyone else get something like 2 euro twenty for the price?

The cos2(theta) question? The answer was +/- root 5 over 3.

would there not be two solutions for the circle s question

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭malnurtured

would there not be two solutions for the circle s question?

I heard someone else say that there was two solutions. Didn't get it myself, spent absolutely ages mulling over it to no avail.

Q4A part 2 anyone? Did you get y equals root x?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

The paper is up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 InTheNight

That's what I got!

Yeeeer

I see where appmaths97 was coming from earlier"Write ܲPA in terms of x and hence, or otherwise, find the
    value of x " You were right! I did right Pa in terms of x then i found x

angleBCD is 66 degrees for me. Does that ring any bells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 bookworm20

q5a ii) anyone rember their answers, it was the one about the arrows and finding the probability that they will win

Advertisement