Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! Maths HL Paper 2 2016 - Before and After

Options
  • 10-06-2016 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

any predictions for this years hl maths paper 2?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

I'm worried it'll be really hard since paper 1 was so easy...

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Badgerrr7

Expect plenty of learning material to come up e.g. definitions, applications and theorems since there was none in P1.
    Wouldn't mind a construction. Area and volume would be expected since there was no sign of it in P1

Anyone know where I can get a list of constructions we need to know?

Didn't do any in class (:?) and don't remember much from my junior years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 123zxc

Badgerrr7 wrote: »
    Expect plenty of learning material to come up e.g. definitions, applications and theorems since there was none in P1.
    Wouldn't mind a construction. Area and volume would be expected since there was no sign of it in P1

Could u give me an example of an application? I don't know what u mean by that and I don't know if we have done that in class. And also, what type of definitions are on paper 2?

emersyn wrote: »

This link emersyn posted, has all the definitions and I think almost everything that could come up on paper 2.

Despite the combined document being just over 400 pages, it's worth a scan through.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 swagmire

Do you think I will need logs and indices algebra for paper 2

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Anyone know where I can get a list of constructions we need to know?

Didn't do any in class (:?) and don't remember much from my junior years...

They've got them all on a playlist here, I would focus on the last seven as they're only on the LC higher level course whereas the rest are also on the LC ordinary level and JC higher courses

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Badgerrr7

123zxc wrote: »
    Could u give me an example of an application? I don't know what u mean by that and I don't know if we have done that in class. And also, what type of definitions are on paper 2?

Cosine Rule etc.
    Definitions on probability statistics and all that b*ll*x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Soolander

How likely is it that they would ask a JC construction or would I be ok just learning off 16-22?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

Soolander wrote: »
    How likely is it that they would ask a JC construction or would I be ok just learning off 16-22?

JC Constructions are pretty straight forward. Just know them all just in case. I do DCG though so most of them come easy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

emersyn wrote: »

You are a f***ing god! That booklet is so handy :D

Only wish I could print it off in my local library (it'd cost 80 euros:eek:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

stats 5% significance for means and proportions....... know it!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

Do you need to know how to prove the cosine rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Jdoe

It's on the syllabus for paper 2, so know it in case in comes up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭luftmensch

There's a thread on studyclix with someone claiming that the paper has been leaked!!!

Looks like a pisstake lol

• Registered Users Posts: 45 daveytheravey

Are people learning proving root 2 is irrational if a proof by contradiction is coming up?

Are people learning proving root 2 is irrational if a proof by contradiction is coming up?

Yep thats what Ive learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

is that not paper 1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭skippy1977

LordHypnos wrote: »
    is that not paper 1

It's where it has a appeared in the past but there has been some small crossover in the before.

Definitions for discrete and continuous data which would normally be associated with Statistics on Paper 2 was asked on Paper 1 a couple of years past.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Is constructing the in circle(without actually drawing the circle) similar to the construction of the centroid.
    As in could you use the point where all the lines meet and call that as the centroid.

No. The centre of the incircle is obtained by bisecting the angles of the triangle.

The centroid is obtained by bisecting each line and joining each bisector to the opposite vertex. It's on page 52 of the tables so it's the easiest one if it comes up.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭LordHypnos

my one concern going into the exams was failing maths and thanks to two handy papers, I can say I definitely passed. Get in!

That paper was a piece of piss

Not a bad paper, but I know I got three question parts wrong for definite. I'm expecting to lose 30~ marks on the paper, and if the marking scheme serves me right then an A1 is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

I found the circles question and the last probability question quite difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Seaaan

I found it all quite difficult.. Hoping for a B1 to be honest 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Gahv

Lottery Probsbility got me and couldn't finish out Cot3A.... But not a bad paper at all especially in section B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

Can't help but think the SEC is deliberately making the exams easier so there are more STEM grads to work in Dublin! Unless 1997/1998 had something in water that produced a ton of maths geniuses, there's something fishy about how everyone is finding it so easy.

By the way, was the least amount of time the boat could spend 45 minutes roughly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭DownOneTourist

Drats! That was the most time... :(

Advertisement