Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2016 - Speculation and Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Building my first gaming PC at the moment so this is going to be my very first Steam sale, and I've heard very good thing coming from my console background.

Any good tips in what to do, keep eyes on before it kicks off?

Step one is to use www.isthereanydeal.com as Steam often isn't the cheapest site for Steam keys ;)

Build a wishlist either there or on steam and be ready on Steam at 6pm for any pricing errors you can snap up

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

That site gets slammed during Steam sales and is prone to going down. Hopefully that won't happen this year... I've really grown to appreciate it in the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

You should login and use the steam store page via your actual browser. Usually better performance + essential tabbing. Along with that, use enhanced steam browser plugin which automatically lists the cheapest prices right on its steam store page with a link to the competing site. As well as a bunch of other features and data.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Links234 wrote: »
    ....Eitr ...

Shame there hasn't been much in the way of updates for this.

Hoping for a discount on Enter the Gungeon, would be nice if it goes under a tenner. Duskers too, looks pretty good that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Steam Sales just don't have the impact they used to for me anymore. Through a combination of past sales, bundles sites and key resellers, I pretty much have everything I want now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Steam Sales just don't have the impact they used to for me anymore. Through a combination of past sales, bundles sites and key resellers, I pretty much have everything I want now.

Same here. I always end up spending money on the GOG sales but seldomly on steam sales anyway. Morrowind >.<

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Are they continuing with the same model as last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Honestly, once you've a handful of Steam sales and Humble bundles under your belt, they stop being that impressive, but there's still fantastic deals to be had. I bought next to nothing during the Christmas sale, but there was still some excellent discounts.
    dunworth1 wrote: »
    Are they continuing with the same model as last year?

As far as I know, yes.

Links234 wrote: »
    Honestly, once you've a handful of Steam sales and Humble bundles under your belt, they stop being that impressive, but there's still fantastic deals to be had. I bought next to nothing during the Christmas sale, but there was still some excellent discounts.

As far as I know, yes.

That's a shame last year's wasn't near as good as pervious years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

dunworth1 wrote: »
    That's a shame last year's wasn't near as good as pervious years
    Definitely. The changing deals every eight hours kept me logging and and engaged throughout the sale. It was exciting and created a bit of a buzz on the likes of Boards. But last year fell pretty flat for me. I'm sure part of it was that I'm limited in what I can run now, but a huge part was that the prices were set for the sale. Once I logged in on the first day I pretty much knew what I was/wasn't going to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

The daily/flash/community deals etc are all gone due to by product of Steam implementing their refund system. You'd potentially have tens of thousands of refund requests daily because someone bought someone at x price and then it went as a cheaper price during the daily/flash/community and then folks wanting a refund to buy it at the cheaper price.

I do completely agree that it created a better buzz about the Summer/Winter sales, however I also understand Steam wanting to try mitigate potential system & admin load due to massive refund requests and I'm happy enough that there is a refund system in place at all, even if the downside is losing the variety of deals the sales implemented.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm not really looking for anything much this sale except maybe some Rocksmith DLC Songs - I just started to play it in anger (was too lazy to re-string my guitar from BEADGb to EADGBe and finally got around to it yesterday). If the new Doom has a decent discount, I might go for that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

If anything I think the new sale format is better, or at least for me personally. Less likely to make impulsive purchases and theres enough time to mull over the options since everything stays the same price during the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

you know how the dont have flash deals anymore because people can refund their bought game if it goes on flash sale and then buy for cheaper
    Could this be solved by not allowing people to purchase a game they refunded for at least 14 days after refunding(or longer).

This would mean people couldn't refund their game and buy at a cheaper price?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It would also be 100% against the law to impose such a restriction - it's amazing that Valve wasn't sued into oblivion by the EU as it was for taking so long to implement the legally mandated 14 day cooling off period for online sales, it's been law for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭kirkfx

sirboby wrote: »
    you know how the dont have flash deals anymore because people can refund their bought game if it goes on flash sale and then buy for cheaper
    Could this be solved by not allowing people to purchase a game they refunded for at least 14 days after refunding(or longer).

This would mean people couldn't refund their game and buy at a cheaper price?

Why though? So many people would get burned just so that it was "more exciting" for others. Besides people would just buy the cheaper copy as a gift and then return the first copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As well as Steam, I'd be looking at the likes of the other sites that sell the serial numbers, as they fight to get customers.

=-=

If Rocksmith and/or the new Need for Speed (I think it's about €28 atm?) comes down by a decent percent, I may get it, but other than that, can't see myself buying anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Oh great, steam sale starts on payday :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,527 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Shiminay wrote: »
    It would also be 100% against the law to impose such a restriction - it's amazing that Valve wasn't sued into oblivion by the EU as it was for taking so long to implement the legally mandated 14 day cooling off period for online sales, it's been law for a long time.

Cooling off periods don't apply once who've used/open/accessed the service/product, Valve gave instant access which to them was how the cooling off period didn't apply according to them.

Valve's current return policy is goes vastly further, there isn't much cases where you're buy a game and within the next 14 days without downloading or playing want to return it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Its dead Jim

I kept an eye on the deals in the last sale and there were a few games that weren't discounted as much as usual. Maybe it was just a coincidence but it does look like some discounts aren't as large anymore with the new system. Being able to return the game if I don't like it is nice though.
    Oh great, steam sale starts on payday :pac:

Just realised it's the same for me. Half on rent, the other half on steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ConorDon97

Hopefully they put some of the older Elder Scrolls games on sale, don't want to pay 25 euro for an old game..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

So, I'm thinking there's a couple of things I'd like to get, the Steamworld Heist DLC is probably top of the list, as I'm just about finished that and need a fix, incredible game. Then probably Shrouded in Sanity if there's a decent enough discount:

And SOMA has been on my wishlist for ages, so maybe that. I don't know, it depends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Usually on the days leading up to the Steam sale I find myself researching games I might like, checking out reviews , watching Let's Plays etc.
    I do all my homework, making sure I'm ready to pull the trigger on flash sales.
    It was also great for building up the hype and getting me excited.

Now I don't bother to research. I have all week to mull over a game. Yes, I'll probably spend less and choose games more carefully. But I really do miss that excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'm hoping for a 75% discount on the Vive.

Hey, there's nothing wrong with hoping, is there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭weisses

Monotype wrote: »

Hey, there's nothing wrong with hoping, is there?

Maybe in Vive years ..... Maybe

Monotype wrote:

66% or even 50%would do me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

A little over 6 hours to go! I'm like a kid at Christmas! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

There were a lot of new bundles created on steamdb over the last day or so. Presumably a lot of these will be discounted further during the Steam sale. If you click on the globe icon you can see the bundle in Steam.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Falthyron wrote: »
    A little over 6 hours to go! I'm like a kid at Christmas! :D

I cant sleep either! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'm having problems signing into my steam account since I set it up at the weekend. Reset password 2 times and won't let me get past the 'robot' word thing. My email address has been confirmed and everything so I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong here.

I'm on my phones browser not my computer. Would that make any kind of difference?

Advertisement