Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2016 - Speculation and Chat

Options
  • 09-06-2016 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭

It's that time of year again, folks! I love June. It's a great month. Kids are doing exams stressed out of their fúcking minds, the weather is fantastic, E3 occurs, its also the month of my birthday, but most importantly, we have the Steam Summer Sale.

This popped up on my Badges page today so I guess the Lord Gaben (long may he reign) has decreed enough people have been sacrificed to warrant another sale.

Rumoured launch date: 23 June until 4 July

388380.JPG

Obligatory memes and media:

388381.jpg

c55.jpg

Helpful tips:
      Only buy games you want to play right now. Seriously, there will be more sales in the future.
      Always be there for the 18:00 changeover as there is a chance you could get a game incredibly cheap due to mistakes in the discounting.
      Sometimes buying 4 packs can give you the chance to trade spare copies for other games.
      If in doubt, but you know its a great deal, buy the game as a 'Gift' and leave it in your inventory until you know you will play it. If you don't play it, then you still have the option to trade it for something you will play.
      Finally, we all know there are other websites which do similar, if not better deals, but the Steam Sale is like a commemorative event now and it started the deals on other sites so don't be too harsh on it or your wallet.

Alternative places to purchase digital games and useful for comparison:

Note: Some of these sites may be less legitimate than others. Not throwing around speculation, but as ever, be careful and read reviews before transgressing GabeN's will.

I hope there is an interactive community game with this sale. I like games.

In the spirit of political correctness:
    udhc6al.jpg

Thou shall not $hit upon those unfortunate to have not been embraced by GabeN's love. Blessed are the console players, for they shall inherit a modest life and not be tainted by dreams of glory and a FPS above 60.

Let the discussion begin! I am hoping to pick up some Indie games, a couple of adventure game titles, and DLC packs. Undoubtedly, there will be a big game or two that will tempt me, but I hope to resist as there are plenty of AAA titles coming out in the coming months that I need to save for, e.g. Deus Ex, Civ 6, Battlefield 1. What are you hoping to pick up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

I'm actually looking forward to this one - I'm building a new rig next month, so for the first time in ages, I'll be able to play reasonably demanding games (so anything from the past few years). I can see myself spending a few quid so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

more for the circle jerk

giphy.gif

TqEzCdg.gif

giphy.gif

hwpnh3nneub14q9aqzoj.gif

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I hate those steam sale memes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I like sales :D

I don't get the hero worship of that Gabe character.
    Unless it's ironic, in which case I really don't get it :pac:

Time to get a few things onto the auld wishlist :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

On my list
    1. City skylines
    2. Anno (new one with the moon)
    3. Assassins creed (London or Paris)
    4. A fps possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Falthyron wrote: »
    Only buy games you want to play right now. Seriously, there will be more sales in the future.

Blasphemy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Blasphemy

Indeed.

One must surrender ones wallet to the Steam sale. For the Gods of gaming must be appeased.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,384 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

May our framerates be high, and our temperatures be low

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Not a lot that I want right now, Soma being the one I hope to see a good discount on, but other than that, maybe Party Hard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I have 19 games on my whishlist but honestly most of them are only there to keep track off until they hit the 4.99 price tag as I don't have time to play games atm. Going by last sale I expect my spend will be below 20 EUR total (last sale I picked up two games only, one being a prepurchase of XCom 2 and the other a 4.99 title).

• Advertisement

I've got 44 games on my wishlist, I should probably trim it down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Ill be picking up Arma 3 Apex expansion this week which most likely wont go on sale(more than its current 20% anyway)so i may not want anything else. Grey Goo has been on my wishlist for some time though so if it gets a decent discount may pick that up. Other than that unless something else pops up thats too good to miss this will probably be a quiet sale for me.

Grey market key re sellers have really knocked the shine off steam sales for me at this point anyway.

I think buying new games has knocked the shine off for me, for years now I'd rarely buy anything new, always waited for discounts or bundles. This year I picked up Hyper Light Drifter, Salt & Sanctuary, and Steamworld Heist, oh and a little something called Overwatch, and I'm playing them right away. Getting stuff heavily discounted often just adds to the backlog. I still haven't gotten around to playing Alan Wake after what, 3 or 4 years? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Will there be dailies this time round? Or was that only gotten rid of for the winter sale?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

For the most part no there's no dailies. But I know some publishers like Ubisoft only had there games on discount for only a few days of the sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Links234 wrote: »
    I've got 44 games on my wishlist, I should probably trim it down a bit.

by buying games? :D

I have 19 on my wishlist but i just checked and 8 of them are Early Access games i have just to keep track of them and how the development is going.
    Links234 wrote: »
    I still haven't gotten around to playing Alan Wake after what, 3 or 4 years? :o
    Imagine an season of Twin peaks channeling Stephen King and with a pretty lighting engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Going to set myself a budget again for this one. Sold all my steam cards so that generated a bit of funds on top of that. Probably wont buy too much. Stellaris maybe if its discounted. FF9 if thats on offer too and maybe some EU4 DLC.

by buying games? :D

I have 19 on my wishlist but i just checked and 8 of them are Early Access games i have just to keep track of them and how the development is going.

Imagine an season of Twin peaks channeling Stephen King and with a pretty lighting engine.

Haha, no! :p

A lot of the games are upcoming ones I want to keep track of, Death's Gambit, Eitr, Strafe, and some others. But there's quite a few things on there that I might just remove, only a couple of things I actually intend to buy any time soon.

Yeah, I've wanted to play Alan Wake for ages now, was planning to play it once I finished The Evil Within, but I haven't done that yet, because I went and started the Witcher games. Still need to finish 3, so not even looking at the expansion yet, but it's high on the wishlist.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I might be tempted into some of the games that have been a few months like XCOM or Fallout 4 + a few strategy games to tide me over until Civ VI - however at this stage the main PC is showing it's age so might need to upgrade first.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

A new 144hz monitor and a GTX 1070 likely coming in July has me planning out a range of games to run through over the course of the summer ahead of the new WoW expansion.

I'd anticipate a good sale on Witcher 3 at this point, so that is probably top of my list. Just installed Skyrim (owned it years) at the weekend and want to give it a proper go, so I'll be on the lookout for the expansions and DLC at cut rates.

Warhammer Total War is a new release so don't expect a big % discount, but anything of note that makes it cheaper then the third party sites might make me pull the trigger

After hearing bad things about Doom, then heard the single player was excellent. A decent sale again might make me interested.

Other than those, nothing major I can think off at this point. I grabbed the latest Football Manager over the weekend from Steam at €18 on a flash sale which was cool.

Witcher 3
    Skyrim DLC
    Warhammer Total War
    Doom

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    After hearing bad things about Doom, then heard the single player was excellent. A decent sale again might make me interested.

There's a demo available now on Steam over the next week, might be worth a look if it's your thing, it's the first level of the singleplayer campaign. I was a little underwhelmed myself, but that's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

I'd anticipate a good sale on Witcher 3 at this point, so that is probably top of my list.

It's already 50% off on gog. https://www.gog.com/game/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

To be honest I've seen it already this year with a good sale price on steam. I'm not adverse to buying from those other sites, I've made about 4-5 purchases from various ones.

But each time has had some issue or another, so I kinda avoid the hassle.

To be honest I've seen it already this year with a good sale price on steam. I'm not adverse to buying from those other sites, I've made about 4-5 purchases from various ones.

GOG are the same folks who made The Witcher, so you're buying from them through their own service. Now, I got my Witcher 3 through Steam, because I wanted a Steam key and not a GOG key, but that's my preference, and there's nothing wrong with GOG at all, they're definitely a good site. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

I got assassins creed black flag for €2 and really enjoyed it, hoping to get another assassins creed at a nice price :)

I would love for X-com and GtaV to have big sales but i doubt it

Might start clearing out my whitelist, it has grown to over 70 games ;-;

XCom has seen some pretty decent discounts already.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

As Links said, gog are legit. The launcher is decent enough too, but you can just download an executable from the site. It's all DRM free too, if that's your thing. I've just finished with the game and DLC now, and it's certainly worth a lot more than I paid for it! Fantastic game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My laptop isn't able to play the newer games anymore so I'm starting to save for a new desktop. The positive of that is that it limits what I can spend money on.

The only thing I'm definitely going to pick up is the season pass of Life is Strange. Otherwise I have too much of a backlog to justify buying much more (famous last words).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Building my first gaming PC at the moment so this is going to be my very first Steam sale, and I've heard very good thing coming from my console background.

Any good tips in what to do, keep eyes on before it kicks off?

Advertisement