Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Summer Sale 2016 - Speculation and Chat

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

A haul to rival my own! :eek:

Nice one though, and Hyper Light Drifter is amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

I have so much to finish still but I got Alien colonial marines(so did 3 others) to play coop with the Templargfx mod. Torchlight 2 and HELLDIVERS. Damn that's one fun game.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭B_Sharp

With a sizeable backlog to sift through, was happy enough that, with a few days to go, I had only bought The Stanley Parable and had finished it in about 2.5 hours. Was nearly free but then bought OlliOlli 2, Age of Empires 2 HD, Batman Arkham City and, worst of all, Civ V: The Complete Edition the day before the sale ended. I'm weak :(

Say what you want about the old sales model being more fun, this is definitely more successful:

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/750650356724539392

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/750650663357546496

• Registered Users Posts: 2,566 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Links234 wrote: »
    Say what you want about the old sales model being more fun, this is definitely more successful:

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/750650356724539392

https://twitter.com/Steam_Spy/status/750650663357546496

Successful for who? Steam? Yeah, most certainly. Consumers, no. There's been a 12% increase in game sales but a 47.5% increase in revenue. I.e higher prices being paid than before.

It was never in doubt anyway, the winter sale with the new sale format was their most succesful sale too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I think that those new bundles helped a lot. There were a lot of times in previous sales DLCs/expansions had a crappy discount and the complete editions were not worth it for the sake of one item.

If you own a base game or a few expansions, the bundles to complete were much more favourable this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,485 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Limbo tops the sales charts (but it was free for a while so I don't think that counts).

Some serious money was made in the last 2 weeks.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/6/12107700/steam-summer-sale-2016-best-selling-games

Screen_Shot_2016-07-06_at_1.01.02_PM.0.png

Consumers, no.

Well, this is in part a consequence of something that was very good for the consumers; refunds. This is the trade-off that was made. It's also worth stating that Steam themselves don't set the prices, publishers do, so in the past they might have been happy with a 33% off discount for 12 days, with a drop to 50% for a day, but not with 50% for the full duration of the sale, so now it's 40% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

After buying my games I never got a chance to play them! My laptop broke and is in the shop for repairs. It will be at least another 4 weeks before I get it back.

They will try and give me a spare laptop to use in the meantime. The question is...do I play my games on the spare laptop? Can I move my save game files to my own laptop once I get it back? I don't want to play for a month then have all that time wasted if I can't!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The bulk of the games will save to the cloud. So you can log onto another computer and it will sync your saves.
    You can usually confirm this by right-clicking on the game in steam, hitting properties and clicking on the updates tab (although one or two games I've come across don't actually save saves to the cloud but only settings).

In a case where the saves aren't 'clouded' by steam, they're usually stored nowadays in the documents folder, so if you back up that, you should be good to go. Other times it may be hidden away in the local data folder, which is a bit trickier.

A handful of games, usually flash based ones, are pretty much only available on the computer itself, but there's only a few of these that I've come across.

If you're unsure, do a quick internet search to see if steam stores the game on the cloud or ask somebody here who's played it and might know.

TL;DR - most are saved by steam.

Edit: Mind you, I don't trust steam entirely as it's lost my saves before with bad syncs, so I see where the saves are and back them up, usually before uninstalling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

After buying my games I never got a chance to play them! My laptop broke and is in the shop for repairs. It will be at least another 4 weeks before I get it back.

They will try and give me a spare laptop to use in the meantime. The question is...do I play my games on the spare laptop? Can I move my save game files to my own laptop once I get it back? I don't want to play for a month then have all that time wasted if I can't!

By any chance, do you know what the specs (CPU speed/number of cores, GPU, RAM) of your laptop and the replacement laptop are?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

By any chance, do you know what the specs (CPU speed/number of cores, GPU, RAM) of your laptop and the replacement laptop are?

I know my laptop specs but not sure about the replacement as I don't know what they'll give me. I have a Dell Inspiron 17r:

8GB 2 DIMM (2x4GB) DDR3L 1600Mhz
    4th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-4200U Processor (3M Cache, up to 2.6 GHz)

I'll know Saturday what I'll have for a replacement.

Advertisement