Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English Higher Level P1 2016 - Discussion / aftermath

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Johno2474 wrote: »
    I forget to say things like follow me on Twitter and all that but I did greet by saying hello welcome to my page and all that will I still lose marks?
    I started the Irish character elements speech with what's the craic lads and was dropping hints aimed at the examiner throughout lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

TSMGUY wrote: »
    Oh wow, I was told the exact opposite! Told to make it fresh and original and "be myself."

I chose the internet because of instant gratification (hot women, music, comedy, entertainment etc.)
    Money because otherwise the barter system would have us scraping ****e off toilets to pay for our food, money motivates us etc.
    And then Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson (said it was greater than WWII victory, polio cure and moon landing because FDR, Churchill, Dr Jonas Salk and Neil Armstrong put together couldn't beat Iron Mike.)

Different strokes......

We were told to make it original and be yourself but also told to avoid comedy as it might not suit the examiner's sense of humour which could put them off the essay. Unless you find some sense of humour that's universal and you know the examiner will get it. Guess it's in case someone comes in making a load of sport jokes that only people into sport will get and then getting a cranky sod correcting the paper who has zero interest in anything sport related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Topbike77

Just realised I forgot to title my speech. It was question 5 in the composition. Will this effect me much?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

****, I also forgot to title the blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

Ronan14 wrote: »
    Just realised I forgot to title my speech. It was question 5 in the composition. Will this effect me much?

I don't think you need to title a speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Nathan12345

Anyone able to answer?
    Will I lose marks for not numbering/titling my composition? It was still pretty clear which one I chose

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

emersyn wrote: »
    I started off by apologising that I hadn't been writing more recently due to schoolwork but that I simply couldn't ignore Obama's recent speech, etc etc. Then I just discussed what the question asked, I didn't mention the blog again or use a special ending

This is so weird I started mine off the exact same way lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

Tomk_1111 wrote: »
    ****, I also forgot to title the blog.

You're meant to title your blog?

Forgot to title my short story... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭koolis02

lThink this was a really nice paper :)
    Did the short story about the car and 2 characters, already learned off a short story that fitted this title perfectly, so i just wrote that one. One of my biggest worries going into the exam was that my short stories wouldn't fit any title so when I see this it calmed me down a lot :)
    Did the blog Question B. When I first seen them i was a little panicked mainly due to the fact none of them we're really appealing to me and they were very specific but once i got going i think I did okay.. wasn't sure what format a blog should take so i just wrote the date at the top, and referenced the blog throughout the piece :p
    did the 2nd Question A, this could've been a lot worse. (i) and (iii) were grand questions, (ii) about contemporary ireland or whatever kinda threw me but i think i managed okay :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

I didn't exactly title my blog but I did put www.againstspaceexplorations .com at the start :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

I did the blog and the number 5 speech, didn't title either. We were never told we had to so I assume we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flame98

Anyone do q3 for the composition? What did you write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

Forgot to title my short story... :o
    The title is kind of given in the question so as long as you numbered it I don't think it will matter a bunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Is it bad I only did 6 pages overall? My writing is pretty small but someone I know got 20 pages done. Really worried now tbh!

Will yous not be worrying about how many pages ye wrote! You'll only drive yourselves crazy - you can't change it now after all.

Anyway, the 'number of pages' is totally irrelevant (unless you only write like, a paragraph but come on). It's all about the quality. People can proudly walk out saying 'I wrote 50 pages' and get a D1 later on, while the fella who stressed over his carefully thought out 3 pager gets the A1.

For reference, I wrote 3.15 pages and got an A1. Now go worry about tomorrow's exams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 GreyNinja24

flame98 wrote: »
    Anyone do q3 for the composition? What did you write about?

I did it, I basically linked in the theme of an urban journey with someone from Donegal heading off to college in Dublin and all the changes and descriptive paragraphs about the look and aesthetics of the city compared to the countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 5 flame98

I did it, I basically linked in the theme of an urban journey with someone from Donegal heading off to college in Dublin and all the changes and descriptive paragraphs about the look and aesthetics of the city compared to the countryside
    Ah good idea. I pretty much wrote about the joirney through a city through the eyes of a heroine addict and his personal journey in his mind to give up drugs then killing him off in the end. I'm hoping I didn't go too far into the actual character himself

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eviejean22

I thought the paper looked challenging at first but it turned out to be quite nice and very doable. Did many of you do the descriptive essay? I did that, the one about the urban journey. It has some personal features however but Im hoping that wont hinder my overall mark! (For example it's in the first person and there are a few personal remarks , but the bulk of the essay is highly descriptive!) I got a solid 3 pages out of it, i've quite small writing and I was able to incorporate some nice vocab and phrases from a previous essay I had gotten an A2 in so I was pretty happy overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Corkalex

What did the question about contemporary Ireland meant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭TheBiz

I looked at my watch seen I had 20 minutes left, I panicked and finished my composition quickly. Then I realised no one was going around collecting our papers so I looked at my watch and seen that I read it an hour early...
    My composition now has a 'in conclusion' scribbled out 3 pages in.

Advertisement