Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English Higher Level P1 2016 - Discussion / aftermath

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Not a bad paper to be honest, happy with the questions bar the length of my composition (5 pages).

Predicting 145/200 which is 73%. Paper 2 is more my strong suit, roll on tomorrow!

4-5 pages was the standard length of any composition I wrote in class and in the Leaving Cert itself. I got 85/100 on it last year, while other ones I wrote in class received higher and lower marks.

To summarise, a 5 page composition is definitely long enough for a high mark provided that the content is good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I came out only realising I may have spelt repetition and audacious wrong a few times throughout the paper. Hopefully though they won't go too hard on that since I actually just blanked when I had to write repetition. Overall it was a really lovely paper. So happy that there was such a big opportunity for me to ramble about space exploration and NASA.

For QB I did the Text 1 one on a speech announcing a winner. Analysing posters aren't my strong suit but I didn't like the other topics.

QA did Text 3 since I could actually add my own opinions to a lot of the content which made it a lot easier.

For the essay, did option one after seeing the personal essay was a dreadful one that would force me to ramble on about things. Thankfully for option one I could use Neil deGrasse Tyson for a quote about things like Apollo and the Voyager missions (quote was "Audacious visions have the power to alter mind-states, to change assumptions about what is possible."). Obviously then my selection of achievements included those plus the UN.
    So you went for the serious, persuasive type rather than the subversive, humorous persuasion type of persuasive essay? Mine had a massive amount of quotes but it was all very light-hearted and took liberties with facts to persuade (rhetorical questions, hyperbole etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Hana98

MomijiHime wrote: »
    You know the way in all the comprehensions it said "Outline in your own words..." does that mean we weren't supposed to quote from the text at all?

I looked at past papers yesterday. 2015 had nearly the exact same question except it said to quote. So I quoted and did it in my own words.

I thought this paper was harder than most years. The choice wasn't as broad but it was doable. I didn't get time to look over which I did in the mock. It was definitely more visual. However I did go over that this morning.
    Onto the next one! :)
    Johno2474 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you smart a blog off and end it I'm not sure if I done it right?

Didn't do the blog but our teacher advised us to write something at the end like follow me on twitter to show it's a blog.

Hana98 wrote: »
    Didn't do the blog but our teacher advised us to write something at the end like follow me on twitter to show it's a blog.

"Add me on snapchat" lol I'd rather leave that out tbh. Just try to end with a funny sign off comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Ah lads there's no point in worrying about it now, go and take a break and study engineering/english/maths. What happens with typos though? Any extra marks :D ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

daraghwal wrote: »
    Ah lads there's no point in worrying about it now, go and take a break and study engineering/english/maths. What happens with typos though? Any extra marks :D ?

A1s for anyone who did that section due to the stress caused by a typo /s

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you smart a blog off and end it I'm not sure if I done it right?

I started off by apologising that I hadn't been writing more recently due to schoolwork but that I simply couldn't ignore Obama's recent speech, etc etc. Then I just discussed what the question asked, I didn't mention the blog again or use a special ending

A1s for anyone who did that section due to the stress caused by a typo /s

That'd be nice. :D

emersyn wrote: »
    I started off by apologising that I hadn't been writing more recently due to schoolwork but that I simply couldn't ignore Obama's recent speech, etc etc. Then I just discussed what the question asked, I didn't mention the blog again or use a special ending

you did pretend to be a US citizen, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

TSMGUY wrote: »
    you did pretend to be a US citizen, right?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 CreepyOnion

I spelled oscillating wrong...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

ayyyyyyy did 16 pages. I think I referenced masturbation about 4 times because I said the internet was one of the three greatest human achievements and it seemed intellectually (and personally) dishonest not to mention it :p

That's impressive. Fair play.

I wouldn't worry about it.

I spelled "necessary" wrong, not too worried...

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

For the composition I did no. 6 the car journey with two characters. I had prepared an essay where a girl killed her father and dumps his body so I had to strongly allude to the fact that her old man was also in the car, in the boot xD

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

I thought it was a very doable paper. I did question B from the first comprehension and that was actually lovely. I just commented on the posters and it was very handy.
    I did question A on the space one. It was alright, the best out of the three, but it still could have been nicer.
    I managed to squeeze a story into the mistaken identity and I just about wrote 5 pages, but I didn't have enough time to read over.
    Overall it was ok. A good start to the next two weeks.

Tomk_1111 wrote: »
    For the composition I did no. 6 the car journey with two characters. I had prepared an essay where a girl killed her father and dumps his body so I had to strongly allude to the fact that her old man was also in the car, in the boot xD

That's actually brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 pseudorachel

Tomk_1111 wrote: »

That sounds like a really good one to have had prepared. You got really lucky!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

daraghwal wrote: »
    Does anything happen if there is a typo on the paper like on Text 2 - A Personal Journey it says Write the text for your class's competition entry in which you identity the elements in the above extract that you think make it suitable for filming...

Usually all printing errata are covered in an additional sheet for the Superintendent to read out before the exam.

In that case, it's only a spelling error. Even if you thought it was meant to be identity, there is no such verb. They would probably expect a HL student to know that and realsie the word shouls be identify.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tomk_1111

spurious wrote: »
    and realsie the word shouls be identify.
    I see what yuo did there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ruairibrady

Lads did an astounding question B for Text 1 on the speech, perfect introduction, perfect body that answered all the points and somehow moved onto my QA as I only had 35 minutes left. I intended to go back and finish off the QB by writing 2 more lines saying "thanks very much etc... goodbye" but forgot, so now my QB is a speech that finishes without the word "goodbye". I know I can't do anything about it now but can anyone soothe my conscious? How much of a price am I going to pay in terms of structure etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭user53

Pretty disappointed tbh, nerves really messed me up.
    I got 2 pages for both the A and B parts which I think is okay as I do have small writing but the essay went awfully bad. Only managed 2.5 pages as I was making it up on the spot because none of my prepared essays suited and couldn't think of anything for about 20 minutes. Hopefully paper 2 goes better. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 TheWexfordWolf

I thought i had a brilliant QB on the blog and even better on the QA on text 1 before the attendant called out 20 mins left where i had to abandon part 3 of text 1 and jump straight into personal essay on useless clutter. I got about a page and half on that. As long as I pass I don't really care as English is my worst subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

So you went for the serious, persuasive type rather than the subversive, humorous persuasion type of persuasive essay? Mine had a massive amount of quotes but it was all very light-hearted and took liberties with facts to persuade (rhetorical questions, hyperbole etc.)

I don't do well with humour in essays and I was told not to be in case the examiner "didn't like it". Yeah I basically did sort of what Obama did in Text 3. Things like the Voyager missions and Apollo are something I know a lot about so I just persuaded by describing how good they were and how they inspired generations to keep exploring and keep breaking down boundaries. The UN point was basically all about how it achieved something at that time never thought possible, getting most world leaders in a single room to discuss common interests. Thought the UN would tie in nicely to persuade people since the issues of Syria and other countries are so prominent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nathan12345

So the paper when pretty okay but for the essay (one about an urban story) I did a spider diagram with "urban story" (not the official title) wrote in the middle and continued to write the essay but never numbered my essay. I don't think my essay applied to any of the other titles so it should have been clear which one I was doing but will I lose many marks?

I don't do well with humour in essays and I was told not to be in case the examiner "didn't like it". Yeah I basically did sort of what Obama did in Text 3. Things like the Voyager missions and Apollo are something I know a lot about so I just persuaded by describing how good they were and how they inspired generations to keep exploring and keep breaking down boundaries. The UN point was basically all about how it achieved something at that time never thought possible, getting most world leaders in a single room to discuss common interests. Thought the UN would tie in nicely to persuade people since the issues of Syria and other countries are so prominent.

Oh wow, I was told the exact opposite! Told to make it fresh and original and "be myself."

I chose the internet because of instant gratification (hot women, music, comedy, entertainment etc.)
    Money because otherwise the barter system would have us scraping ****e off toilets to pay for our food, money motivates us etc.
    And then Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson (said it was greater than WWII victory, polio cure and moon landing because FDR, Churchill, Dr Jonas Salk and Neil Armstrong put together couldn't beat Iron Mike.)

Different strokes......

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Is it bad I only did 6 pages overall? My writing is pretty small but someone I know got 20 pages done. Really worried now tbh!

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭lumosteph

Is it bad I only did 6 pages overall? My writing is pretty small but someone I know got 20 pages done. Really worried now tbh!

Six pages seems reasonably ok if you have small writing. Remember quality over quantity! Half of that 20 pages could have been complete waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

lumosteph wrote: »
    Six pages seems reasonably ok if you have small writing. Remember quality over quantity! Half of that 20 pages could have been complete waffle.
    Yeah very true, she has a different English teacher who is very adamant that the essays must be learnt off and be over 6 pages long. I don't agree with that as it can be hard to fit it around a different topic so I much prefer to make it up on the day. My standard of English is pretty ok so hopefully that'll make up for a lack of content if there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

20 pages is bizarre. I got 10 done and was writing until the last second.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

TSMGUY wrote:
    "Add me on snapchat" lol I'd rather leave that out tbh. Just try to end with a funny sign off comment.

I forget to say things like follow me on Twitter and all that but I did greet by saying hello welcome to my page and all that will I still lose marks?

Advertisement