Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

!! English Higher Level P1 2016 - Discussion / aftermath

Options
  • 08-06-2016 3:40am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just to try and keep the place tidy / save us from 37 "What did you think of ..." threads. ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

I have a good feeling about this!

Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

TSMGUY wrote: »
    I have a good feeling about this!

Best of luck everyone!

I don't. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Any word on the paper? I know sometimes there's the odd attendant posting on boards

Not a bad paper to be honest, happy with the questions bar the length of my composition (5 pages).

Predicting 145/200 which is 73%. Paper 2 is more my strong suit, roll on tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jesushimself

Thought it went quite well actually except for the question b's which I felt were a bit restricted other than the blog post which I had no idea how to write

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭currooney

Nice enough paper! The theme was journey which I loved, English isn't my kind of subject so I'm surprised at how well that went :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭maude6868

What were the b questions and essays that came up.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭LFC CONNAUGHTON

I concluded all my parts with about 25 minutes left and did an extra question B, wil I get marked on my best one?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I think that paper was fair enough! Really imaginative, especially that Shakespeare question. The Question Bs were a bit long winded but I predict a lot of people did the blog post

Best of luck with paper 2 tomorrow and every other paper guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

I concluded all my parts with about 25 minutes left and did an extra question B, wil I get marked on my best one?

As long as you didn't do the same one as the text you did your QA on you will be marked on best. I'm surprised you had time to do a full second 1 though

• Advertisement

Consonata wrote: »
    As long as you didn't do the same one as the text you did your QA on you will be marked on best. I'm surprised you had time to do a full second 1 though

Yeah I did text 1 and 3 b parts and text 2 a part. I didn't particularly like any of the composition titles and I did only 4 pages on the speech about travel.

Overall I thought it wasn't too bad of a paper. First year they directly asked you to mention language types in QA. The question As I found very specific.

I'm a big fan of US politics so the QB blog post suited me down to the ground. Plus I liked the composition titles. I was able to fit in a short story I had done before.

Overall I'd say I got maybe a B1 in the paper. Paper 2 will probably drag me down.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

You know the way in all the comprehensions it said "Outline in your own words..." does that mean we weren't supposed to quote from the text at all?

Anyone who did the competition entry, did you put any headings on it? I wrote School: Address: Novel: Author: and then signed it as 'Transition Year class blahblahblah' at the end.

Also, for anyone that did the short story centered on two characters and a car journey, did they stay in the car the whole time? Mine got out of the car after about a page and then came back to it at the end and I'm worried I might lose purpose marks for that?

ayyyyyyy did 16 pages. I think I referenced masturbation about 4 times because I said the internet was one of the three greatest human achievements and it seemed intellectually (and personally) dishonest not to mention it :p

TSMGUY wrote:
    ayyyyyyy did 16 pages. I think I referenced masturbation about 4 times because I said the internet was one of the three greatest human achievements and it seemed intellectually (and personally) dishonest not to mention it

If there's an award, you win it

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Giotar

Found it great actually. Thought I'd have trouble suiting my story in but the whole 'mistaken identity' thing probably made it better in the end. Did the Text 1 Question B and the Text 2 Question A which I thought were both nice enough. B2 overall if I was to guess.

Consonata wrote: »
    If there's an award, you win it

I hope the examiner feels the same way!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DM12345

Thought it was a nice enough paper. Definitely agree on the third part in Question A directly asking about different language types for probably the first time ever. Didn't know much on language of aesthetics so had to avoid Text 2 as a result. Ended up doing Question A from Text 3 which I found was nice enough and then Question B from text 1 which I waffled on for a bit but all in all was grand. Did the speech on travel and thought it went fine. B1/B2 I'd imagine, Paper 2 will no doubt bring me crashing back down!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 DM12345

MomijiHime wrote: »
    You know the way in all the comprehensions it said "Outline in your own words..." does that mean we weren't supposed to quote from the text at all?

I quoted from the text, think they just wanted you to adapt the points from the text

MomijiHime wrote: »

I didn't even understand that question. What did it mean by insights of the play? What the play was about?

I just gave a summary of the play by interpreting the information in the passage, and used some quotes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭emersyn

Part B was great, I did that first and chose the blog post. Really good specific question which I found easy to write about, couldn't have gone much better
    Part A was ok, I did the second comprehension - the extract and questions themselves were fine, the timing just got the better of me and ended up spending five extra minutes trying to get the third question done
    Composition was woeful... Was delighted to see the descriptive essay come up as I always do well in them in class and they're by far my preferred type of composition. However I had messed up my timing and spent five extra minutes on both part A and part B so I didn't have time to plan it properly, so of course contrary to every piece of advice that anyone has ever given me I jumped straight into the first thing I thought of instead of planning it properly, and consequently had to abandon it after half a page. I came up with some proper ideas and ran out of time after two pages, and tacked on the cheesiest, most sudden ending I've ever written.. I average 15/16 words per line so I don't think two pages is TOO dreadful but the writing itself just didn't seem to come to me today, I can tell it was poor quality and can't see it getting more than a high C at best
    I usually do better in paper 2 so I suppose we'll see, I didn't end up having to count English in the mocks and my points were above target so hopefully the other exams will go better than today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭legocrazy505

I came out only realising I may have spelt repetition and audacious wrong a few times throughout the paper. Hopefully though they won't go too hard on that since I actually just blanked when I had to write repetition. Overall it was a really lovely paper. So happy that there was such a big opportunity for me to ramble about space exploration and NASA.

For QB I did the Text 1 one on a speech announcing a winner. Analysing posters aren't my strong suit but I didn't like the other topics.

QA did Text 3 since I could actually add my own opinions to a lot of the content which made it a lot easier.

For the essay, did option one after seeing the personal essay was a dreadful one that would force me to ramble on about things. Thankfully for option one I could use Neil deGrasse Tyson for a quote about things like Apollo and the Voyager missions (quote was "Audacious visions have the power to alter mind-states, to change assumptions about what is possible."). Obviously then my selection of achievements included those plus the UN.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

I didn't even understand that question. What did it mean by insights of the play? What the play was about?

I just gave a summary of the play by interpreting the information in the passage, and used some quotes.

This is exactly what I did

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Does anything happen if there is a typo on the paper like on Text 2 - A Personal Journey it says Write the text for your class's competition entry in which you identity the elements in the above extract that you think make it suitable for filming...

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

daraghwal wrote: »
    Does anything happen if there is a typo on the paper like on Text 2 - A Personal Journey it says Write the text for your class's competition entry in which you identity the elements in the above extract that you think make it suitable for filming...

Oh my God it would be so nice if we got extra marks for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

daraghwal wrote: »

Good catch.

Didn't like the paper as much as last years. I feel I had a strong Text 3 question B. Ran out of time so my Question A was too strong on the last bit maybe 10/20. Essay wasn't the greatest. Only looking for a C so I should be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Johno2474

Does anyone know how you smart a blog off and end it I'm not sure if I done it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭cgill

Paper 1 seemed fair enough, I wasn't happy with my question A which was on text 2. I did the speech as my question B and the debate/speech on travel for the composition. Would have preferred not to do two speeches but can't complain overall.

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you start a blog off and end it I'm not sure if I done it right?

I had no idea either, I just wrote the date and time at the start and referenced in the piece that I was writing a blog a couple of times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭TooMuchWork

Johno2474 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how you smart a blog off and end it I'm not sure if I done it right?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure most blogs just start there and then. At least the ones I've read anyway. No intro or dates or time needed.

Advertisement