Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Sunday Game 2016 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,628 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Marty didn't waste time in getting the old Muhammad Ali quote in. Man Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

:confused: it's the only football on today

If so then the 100% dominance of Ulster so far this year on RTE is even less necessary.

Knowing there was only 1 match today should have compelled them to remember there are 3 other provinces for the last two weeks.

Oh, and it's Ulster again next week on RTE with it preceding their 1st non-Ulster game of the season!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Marty annoys me sometimes as he describes every score as brilliant, fantastic, magnificent etc. They can't all be that good!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

How come The Sunday Game is on RTE1 this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

The kids were complaining about their cartoons being missing:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

A guess: maybe related to the euros??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,401 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How, after all of these years are Marty Morrissey and Michael Lyster (big fan of the latter) still the only regular main commentators.

That Marty Morrissey is genuinely useless and it's like RTE just use him as some sort of a prop these days for a twisted type of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

If so then the 100% dominance of Ulster so far this year on RTE is even less necessary.

Knowing there was only 1 match today should have compelled them to remember there are 3 other provinces for the last two weeks.

Oh, and it's Ulster again next week on RTE with it preceding their 1st non-Ulster game of the season!

Hardly too many alternatives that were that enticing in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Is it just me, or do the hurling highlights from Croker, look weird when the cameras are in the Cusack Stand and not the Hogan, where they normally are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

How did the ref miss that jab from the Mayo corner back?!

Absolutely scandalous considering the damage that can be done with a jab like that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Eddie Brennan's face just there when Daly mentioned the westmeath under 21s lol

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Ridiculous carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

That armagh piece was embarassing. County stooge or whoever that was sounding like he was vomiting what he had written down earlier into the camera word for word. Armagh tie on as well to show some solidarity. As Tomás said, why did they felt the need to reply to a pundit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

DuffleBag wrote: »
    That armagh piece was embarassing. County stooge or whoever that was sounding like he was vomiting what he had written down earlier into the camera word for word. Armagh tie on as well to show some solidarity. As Tomás said, why did they felt the need to reply to a pundit?

I agree with you that it came across as embarrassing. However, pundits are generally lambasted for the 'opinion' they give, look at Tomas o'se and Dublin recently. Here, brolly said some 'factually' incorrect things about Armagh (according to Armagh anyway). If he is going to purport these as facts and they are not facts, then brolly (and the Sunday game) should be called up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

That armagh piece was embarassing. County stooge or whoever that was sounding like he was vomiting what he had written down earlier into the camera word for word. Armagh tie on as well to show some solidarity.

That 'stooge' was our County Chairman, Paul McArdle. A decent fella and as hard a working administrator / volunteer as you're likely to get, doing it all solely for the benefit of our games. You're spot on too with the loyalty - that's why he felt the need to put himself forward on national TV - despite his clear nervousness - to defend his own.

As Tomás said, why did they felt the need to reply to a pundit?

Why? Because there has been a significant fall out in the North from Brolly's comments, and within Armagh in particular.

Brolly followed up his comments by offering to take on anyone from the Armagh Executive in a public debate. To my mind that represents a bit of goading.

There is clear rationale therefore for the response. In weighing up the options for their next move, the County Executive have felt compelled to respond, given the damaging nature of his original comments which have hit the reputation of individuals and our County.

I would have preferred if they had not responded, but then I don't have responsibility for Armagh GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

I agree with you that it came across as embarrassing. However, pundits are generally lambasted for the 'opinion' they give, look at Tomas o'se and Dublin recently. Here, brolly said some 'factually' incorrect things about Armagh (according to Armagh anyway). If he is going to purport these as facts and they are not facts, then brolly (and the Sunday game) should be called up on it.

Yes Brolly is a solicitor by trade and brings that background to his new profession as a pundit. Like Roy Keane who is always also factually correct but morally wrong, Brolly needs to be stood up to more. Brolly is all about Brolly, he was as a player and he never put his head on the managerial paraphit. County players and managers should not be beyond criticism, but there is a line that should not be crossed. The far side of this invisible line is where Joe builds his house.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

A decent point, but it's a storm in a teacup. Get on with it and play football. Whats said on tv or in newspapers shouldnt affect how a team kicks a ball around a field.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Patww79 wrote: »

Harsh I think. Maybe it's just a case that instead of having every reporter in the country ringing him for a comment, he decided to put out a statement - clear and unambiguous - so he could save himself some hassle. It's a possibility anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

. As Tomás said, why did they felt the need to reply to a pundit?

there is a distinction between a pundit saying "that was a poor performance" , "in my opinion team X are rubbish " etc.

And simply making something up which is not true, and reflects badly on individuals

If Brolly kept to the facts, and said Armagh were poor v Cavan, there would be no fuss. Doubt Armagh themselves were particularly pleased with the Cavan game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

If pundits are being paid to talk about sport then they should be prepared to have what they claim to be facts put right. No surprise that Brolly's buddies are circling the wagon for him, I'm sure none of the rest of them want a situation to arise when they get called up on their bull****ting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I always find it to be very precious of journalists when they say sports men should ignore the media and not pass any remarks on comments about them.

It's as if the media feel they are entitled to a free shot and nobody can dare respond to their criticisms and show them to be complete bull****ter.

I think sportsmen should ignore them because what the media say as it is irrelevant but I have no problem with them having a pop back as the media get a free hit to criticize whoever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

A decent point, but it's a storm in a teacup. Get on with it and play football. Whats said on tv or in newspapers shouldnt affect how a team kicks a ball around a field.

Always keep in mind that pundits are paid for the words they speak and not by the weight of truth in those words. If pundits were paid for accuracy only Colm OROURKE kevin Kilbane and Gary OTOOL would make money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

It's as if the media feel they are entitled to a free shot and nobody can dare respond to their criticisms and show them to be complete bull****ter.

I think sports people should ignore them as it does their form no good but also because lads like JB are closer to trolls here, best ignored but entitled to nothing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Wherever I may roam by Metallica in the intro, it's off to a good start tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

2 minutes of highlights. Disgrace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Pathetic. Why the few mins highlights only.?

Advertisement